Help with streaming from a tablet to TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sierra048 - you should still report this to your state's Attorny General office. They are typically interested in scammers like this.

I agree with QP, a factory restore will wipe the computer clean.

Anothet thing, my brother is pretty savy about computers and networks. I emailed him this thread, and this is what he said.

"Never trust anyone who wants access to your computer online. Granting them remote access is handing them the keys to your computer, then and for all time. Because they then have your IP address as well."

My brother might mean if they put some malware on your computer, then they have the keys. Or is it once they have your IP address you're always vulnerable - ? Maybe QP can chime in on this.

If it was me I'd talk to your internet provider and see if they would give you a new IP address due to this situation.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Or is it once they have your IP address you're always vulnerable - ? Maybe QP can chime in on this.

It's not that simple. First you have your PC's private LAN IP address which is valid within your own home network only. It is typically dynamically assigned by your router.
Then you have a public IP address assigned by your service provider. That address is assigned to your router's WAN port, not to your PC. And that address is dynamic as well. You typically have to pay a premium if you want a static IP address.

The hacker would have to hack into your router and set up port forwarding to your PC in order to be able to reach your PC. Good idea to change your router password, in case they did do that while "fixing" the Roku, and also logging into your router to ensure no such port forwarding is set up.

Quote:
Just knowing they were able to pull up our AMEX card info creeps me out.

This is something I don't fully understand. Did you initially enter your AMEX details when setting up your Roku account, before the so called Roku "tech support" got involved?

QP,

No. I never made it to the actual Roku site to create my account. I never gave my card info to anybody. When they had finished their whatever it was they were doing, they called me and asked me to go back to my computer. When I did that's when he said he had to get the billing and payment done. Right in front of my eyes my AMEX credit card info started populating the screen, everything but the 4 digit AMEX security code from my card that I entered in. That had to come from my computer. I have no other explanation. That's how, I believe, they used that info to create my Roku account and provide me with the roku1234 password.

Interestingly, I just pulled up our Roku account and there is no CC info saved under our account. But they had to create our account because I didn't.

I'm planning on taking your advice and trying to do the restore thing tomorrow. Hope fully I won't need any CDs and I can find what you said on the computer. Much appreciated.

Last edited:
Sierra048 - you should still report this to your state's Attorny General office. They are typically interested in scammers like this.

I agree with QP, a factory restore will wipe the computer clean.

Anothet thing, my brother is pretty savy about computers and networks. I emailed him this thread, and this is what he said.

"Never trust anyone who wants access to your computer online. Granting them remote access is handing them the keys to your computer, then and for all time. Because they then have your IP address as well."

My brother might mean if they put some malware on your computer, then they have the keys. Or is it once they have your IP address you're always vulnerable - ? Maybe QP can chime in on this.

If it was me I'd talk to your internet provider and see if they would give you a new IP address due to this situation.

Z,

This is why I feel like such an idiot. I had never allowed someone to access my computer like that before. Your brother is right. I've learned my lesson.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
ZeeOSix said:
Or is it once they have your IP address you're always vulnerable - ? Maybe QP can chime in on this.

It's not that simple. First you have your PC's private LAN IP address which is valid within your own home network only. It is typically dynamically assigned by your router.
Then you have a public IP address assigned by your service provider. That address is assigned to your router's WAN port, not to your PC. And that address is dynamic as well. You typically have to pay a premium if you want a static IP address.

The hacker would have to hack into your router and set up port forwarding to your PC in order to be able to reach your PC. Good idea to change your router password, in case they did do that while "fixing" the Roku, and also logging into your router to ensure no such port forwarding is set up.

QP,

Embarassingly, most of that was Greek to me. No offense intended at all. The password for the router came with the router. Not sure I can change it. I'll call Windstream tomorrow and discuss what happened and see if they can help.

Originally Posted By: Sierra048
The password for the router came with the router. Not sure I can change it. I'll call Windstream tomorrow and discuss what happened and see if they can help.

Is it your own router or a router that Windstream provided? If Windstream, my guess is the scumbags did not get into the router unless you gave them the router password.

Interestingly, I just pulled up our Roku account and there is no CC info saved under our account. But they had to create our account because I didn't.

Here are a couple of screen snip-its from my Roku account. The first snip-it shows I've setup my PayPal as the payment method. The 2nd snip-it shows again that it's PayPal used for my account. Does your Roku account show the CC option chosen? If so, then the scammers probably used your CC info when they created your Roku account - like mentioned before, I think this is required before Roku will let your player become activated. My Roku account only shows what method of payment is used, but no details beyond that.

Wow,

Reading through this thread is like something out of a movie.
I understand Sierra realizes he made a mistake now and I understand, on the "fly" we can all make a mistake, just amazed how quickly it happened and how it happened. Yes, the first warning and big red flag was paying a stranger $99. that something was wrong.
It only takes a momentary lapse reason and your accessing a rogue website and letting them invade your computer while on the phone no less.

Yes, first warning was when you were having trouble setting it up, setting up Roku is the simplest process in the world.

Anyway, for what it is worth, I would be tempted to wipe out my computer and start all over. I would also replace my router and modem. I wouldnt trust anything until those things are done.
If you have any banking information, ex. paypal, banks, checking (not credit cards) on your computer I would change all passwords.

As far as losing any money, I wouldnt even bother thinking about it, with a credit card you dont have to give it a thought. Wont cost you a penny, wont cost you any grief, you dont even have to call them.
You just go online, click on the charge, says it is a fraudulent charge and your done, charge comes off your card. Not another thought and what is so great about using a credit card. It takes literally seconds.

Good luck to you!

Last edited:

Here are a couple of screen snip-its from my Roku account. The first snip-it shows I've setup my PayPal as the payment method. The 2nd snip-it shows again that it's PayPal used for my account. Does your Roku account show the CC option chosen? If so, then the scammers probably used your CC info when they created your Roku account - like mentioned before, I think this is required before Roku will let your player become activated. My Roku account only shows what method of payment is used, but no details beyond that.

Yes. The credit card option was chosen. I saw those same screens last night. I just assumed that if my card was used to set up the account it's information would have been saved for any future expenses incurred. If it was, it didn't appear under the credit card option. All I can say is if a CC was needed to open my Roku account, someone used a CC to do it and it wasn't me. I just have to assume that, since David Web Services created my account, they probably used my CC info from my computer because at no time when dealing with them did I give them my CC info.

The password for the router came with the router. Not sure I can change it. I'll call Windstream tomorrow and discuss what happened and see if they can help.

Is it your own router or a router that Windstream provided? If Windstream, my guess is the scumbags did not get into the router unless you gave them the router password.

Sorry. I should have clarified. The modem/router belong to Windstream. I didn't even know it could be done without their equipment.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Wow,

Reading through this thread is like something out of a movie.
I understand Sierra realizes he made a mistake now and I understand, on the "fly" we can all make a mistake, just amazed how quickly it happened and how it happened. Yes, the first warning and big red flag was paying a stranger $99. that something was wrong.
It only takes a momentary lapse reason and your accessing a rogue website and letting them invade your computer while on the phone no less.

Yes, first warning was when you were having trouble setting it up, setting up Roku is the simplest process in the world.

Anyway, for what it is worth, I would be tempted to wipe out my computer and start all over. I would also replace my router and modem. I wouldnt trust anything until those things are done.
If you have any banking information, ex. paypal, banks, checking (not credit cards) on your computer I would change all passwords.

As far as losing any money, I wouldnt even bother thinking about it, with a credit card you dont have to give it a thought. Wont cost you a penny, wont cost you any grief, you dont even have to call them.
You just go online, click on the charge, says it is a fraudulent charge and your done, charge comes off your card. Not another thought and what is so great about using a credit card. It takes literally seconds.

Good luck to you!

Much appreciated. Never thought this thread would get to four pages. My gratitude goes out to all that have tried to help. And yes, I'm taking QP's advice and I'm going to try to get my laptop back to the way it was when it was brand new. Passwords were changed immediately after this happened. I've had AMEX for over twenty years and they have been rock solid for me. It's in their hands now.

because at no time when dealing with them did I give them my CC info.

So they charged $99 to your AMEX without you ever giving them your credit card number over the phone?

So they charged $99 to your AMEX without you ever giving them your credit card number over the phone?

From what I understand, the scammers somehow found the CC info on his computer once they got into his computer. How they did that is still a mystery, but I'd think they have some way of searching for CC info in every nook and cranny on a computer once they have access.

Yes. The credit card option was chosen. I saw those same screens last night. I just assumed that if my card was used to set up the account it's information would have been saved for any future expenses incurred. If it was, it didn't appear under the credit card option.

I can't see my PayPal account info either on my Roku account. So what you're seeing is normal. If you ever want to rent a movie through Roku you'll have to go into your account and put in a new valid CC since you cancelled your AMEX card.

So yes, apparently the scammers somehow found and used your CC info to complete your Roku account (and also took their fraudulent $99 charge), because without a payment method entered in your Roku account your steaming device won't complete the setup process.

Qp,

The only thing I entered during the whole transaction was my four digit security code. Never gave anyone my CC number, verbally or via typing it in on our computer. Actually, payment method was never discussed at all until the very end. When I went back to my computer after after he called and said everything was done, and while still on the phone with the guy, he asked me if I was paying with my AMEX card as my card info was being typed/appearing on my screen.

I received an email from AMEX this morning saying David Web Services has been contacted and I would hear something within the next seven days. Again, after I contacted DWS the next morning after this happened, and after a rather heated conversation with them, they did call back and say they would credit my AMEX with a refund for the full amount, within the next seven to ten days. I honestly, rightly or wrongly, didn't trust that would happen so I decided to dispute the charges. They tried to convince me that it wouldn't be necessary to dispute the charge. I'm interested in finding out how they try to spin it.

Last edited:
The only thing I entered during the whole transaction was my four digit security code. Never gave anyone my CC number, verbally or via typing it in on our computer. Actually, payment method was never discussed at all until the very end. When I went back to my computer after after he called and said everything was done, and while still on the phone with the guy, he asked me if I was paying with my AMEX card as my card info was being typed/appearing on my screen.
I am still baffled by this.

Quote:
I honestly, rightly or wrongly, didn't trust that would happen so I decided to dispute the charges.
You did the right thing.

Scary stuff, and obviously these guys had some sophisticated way to search for such financial info on someone's computer when given access.

Sierra048 - any thought's of reporting this issue to your state's Attorney General? I certainly would. Could be the start of these scammers demise.

Quote:
I honestly, rightly or wrongly, didn't trust that would happen so I decided to dispute the charges.
You did the right thing.

Me too and agree on the second part. Love credit cards for this reason, no brainer, dont even have to think about it. Just click and dispute the charge and your done.

Last edited:

Hindsight is 20/20 but I wish I had taken a video of this happening, with me holding the phone in one hand and my other hand shown to be idle, and not touching the keyboard.

Scary stuff, and obviously these guys had some sophisticated way to search for such financial info on someone's computer when given access.

Sierra048 - any thought's of reporting this issue to your state's Attorney General? I certainly would. Could be the start of these scammers demise.

I know someone mentioned it in an earlier post. I wouldn't be against doing this. I'm honestly waiting for the feedback I hopefully get from AMEX. Not sure what, if any, specifics they provide. I've tried to be truthful throughout this whole ordeal and don't believe I've left anything out. I just hope this helps someone else who might find themselves in the same situation. I'll update this thread with the final outcome after I hear from AMEX. Sound like a broken record but I just can't thank you all enough for the help and suggestions. Good news is we are getting the hang of Roku and if our 15mps speed is fast enough for two programs at one time, we can say good bye to DirecTV.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back