Help with mouse problems- Linux Mint MATE 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently my mouse has seemed to stop working properly. I'm not so sure it's a mouse issue though. I can open up an application- say Firefox just fine, but it really doesn't want to close. Other folders can be opened fine but require double clicking to close them. The inability to close a window isn't limited to Firefox either. Thunderbird does it as does pretty much every other program. I can't click on my update icon or sound icon to open them at all. Left click on the mouse seems to work fine though, but left clicking on the "X" button in an attempt to close the window doesn't work either. Clicking the show desktop icon doesn't do anything, nor does clicking the "menu" icon. I can't even restart or shut the computer off unless I either A) switch to another workstation or B) do a control, alt, delete and navigate with the keyboard. Sometimes I can switch workstations, then switch back, which gives me the ability to close the window that I've got open. Clicking on anything inside the open window, like links, tabs or buttons seems to work fine.

I don't have another mouse to try, but like I said, I don't think it's the cause.

Could it be some sort of malicious attempt or hack? I noticed that the one time clicking on the update icon, it popped a message up to the effect of "Cannot lock onto the mouse, there may be a malicious script or blah, blah, blah" (Cannot remember the rest)

Really lost here!

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Last edited:
My first thought before trying another mouse would be to try another window manager. If another WM still shows the same symptoms, maybe check and see if the mouse works in a VT.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, but I'm still quite the Linux noob. Would you please re-explain that?

Does the mouse work on a different computer? (if you have another computer)

Also, you could just upgrade to Mint 17 (only the RC is out so far, but I've been running it for a while now without any problems). Mint 16 support is going to end in a few weeks. Mint 17 support will go for 5 years.

A typical Linux X desktop environment uses a Window Manager to control the windows. MATE uses marco, a fork of Gnome 2's metacity. There are many other window managers such as caja, kwin, fvwm, compiz, enlightenment, mutter and so on. Mint is based on Ubuntu so you should be able to use apt-get to install many of them.

MATE is a fork of Gnome 2 and uses GTK+ for widgets. Compiz has been sleeping in Gnome's bed long enough that it ought to work with a Gnome fork. fvwm is also a stable WM that works well with Gnome so one of those two should at least run well enough to see if your mouse works.

Install by typing
Code:
sudo apt-get install fvwm compiz
in a terminal.

Run
Code:
compiz --replace
or
Code:
fvwm --replace
to switch to one of those window managers. If the mouse works you know you have a software issue.

If that doesn't show you a working mouse try using your mouse in the console. ctrl-alt-F2 over to a console and do:
Code:
sudo apt-get install gpm

sudo gpm

If you have a mouse cursor and it seems to work then you know the hardware and driver are cool, but the X server is giving you an issue. If it doesn't work you probably have a hardware problem.

Make note of everything you've installed during testing so you can remove it later when the issue is resolved.

Originally Posted By: Donald
A cat will solve most mouse problems.
How true. The kitten just caught two of them.

I am interested in the answer to your problem. I am running Mint Mate 16. My Dell mouse has been flawless apart from cleaning out cat hair from the ball.

Running a Lubuntu live disk right now with zero issues. For now, I'm going to put the possibility of a defective mouse aside. Will try changing from Caja to one of the one yonyon recommended and see what happens.

Well I did as yonyon suggested and keyed in the commands. Once I got to the fvwm --replace, it pretty much froze up. Even the boarders were different.

Here is what I saw:

20140527_214811_zpsjyjaxtr3.jpg

After that I tried the second line of commands that yonyon suggested and notice no real difference.

I'm still kicking around the idea of just installing MATE 17, but don't like that I have to wait until after midnight for "free bandwidth" due to my miserable 10gig cap.

Hmmmm... I may have been completely off base? It was acting up again, this time running Lubuntu 13.1 on a live disk, so I got mad and pulled the USB receiver out and switched ports. It went back to working, so I restarted back to MATE 16- so far everything is normal from what I can tell.

What gives? What is or was happening?

I'm wondering about the USB port in this case, too. When it acts up, unplug it, then plug it back in. One of my Ubuntu servers is doing this, except the mouse quits working altogether, and the stupid thing battles me when I use a USB stick, too.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Well I did as yonyon suggested and keyed in the commands. Once I got to the fvwm --replace, it pretty much froze up. Even the boarders were different.
The borders looking different is normal, but locking up means fvwm isn't compatible with Mate.

Compiz should have made all your windows momentarily disappear, then come back looking normal. That it did nothing probably means it couldn't find compositing support in your video driver and didn't load. Sorry about that. You could still have tried gpm to confirm that the problem exists completely outside X but:

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Hmmmm... I may have been completely off base? It was acting up again, this time running Lubuntu 13.1 on a live disk, so I got mad and pulled the USB receiver out and switched ports. It went back to working, so I restarted back to MATE 16- so far everything is normal from what I can tell.

ClutchDisc is probably right about the USB port.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back