Question about mouse

Not really the mouse, but many times I have to click the left button a bunch of times to have it work. I think its the nutty updates that firefox is constantly doing. If you don't allow it to update then nothing works good in it. Any idea's?

Not really the mouse, but many times I have to click the left button a bunch of times to have it work. I think its the nutty updates that firefox is constantly doing. If you don't allow it to update then nothing works good in it. Any idea's?
What type of mouse? I used to have a Bluetooth mouse that would always fall asleep or lose connection and I’d have to wiggle or click the buttons to wake it up. It drove me crazy so I replaced it with a regular wireless mouse.

If one is using a USB or WiFi mouse, they can and will get interference from outside sources. It is best to avoid wifi or using the mouse in the same USB port all the time. Plus if the USB port driver has not been updated in a while. Might be a good idea to do so. The current USB port drive is 3.0. Then if the mouse is old the click buttons inside the mouse become worn. These devices are cheap so best buy a new one.

I had the same problem. My laptop was driving me crazy because the mouse was constantly stopping ability to work. I realized that there were three different things that could be causing it because it used to work fine and I've had this for many years and it worked fine for many years. It could be software, or it could be that the frequency that the wireless mouse is using is now being interfered with, or is a slight chance also that it's a combination of software and the little connector that I have to keep in the USB port not drawing enough current for the computer to now realize that there is something connected up to that port. Anyhow I consulted a friend who is very well versed in computers and they said to buy a new mouse. So keeping in mind that there's a possibility that a wireless mouse is not drawing enough power for the computer to recognize it's something is there and therefore it puts the port to sleep the same power, I bought a Wired Mouse for about $7 from Walmart. I put that on a little over a month ago and the computer has been running fine ever since. I have absolutely no problems with my mouse anymore. Of course you have to put up with the wire but it's plenty long enough and no real inconvenience.

Whenever something that was working is no longer working, I ask myself two questions to begin my troubleshooting adventure:

1) Since the last time I can say with certainty that this was working, have there been any (relevant) software updates? If so, see if you can roll 'er on back to the version of said software from before the malfunction or restore a backup. There is something to be said for "boring" when it comes to (important) software.

2) Could this be a hardware failure? Hardware usually has moving parts and moving parts are failures that just haven't happened yet. Especially the cheap junk that we buy these days; made cheaply and with little-to-no quality control. Swap it out with the backup you have on hand ("Two is one and one is none". Try to always have a backup of every given thing that is important to you.) and see if that works.

(Bonus) 3. Can someone on BITOG can point me in the right direction? There is nothing quite like trusting a bunch of anonymous internet strangers with the state of the thing that holds your banking information. :^)

Your mouse button is worn out. Same thing just happened to me. Have a new Dell mouse on order for $7 from Ebay.
You are correct, new mouse fixed it. I should have done that before even asking, and huge thank you for all who posted. Still some valuable information in this thread.

I only used wired mouses, I'm just not a fan of wireless stuff, too much RF in the air.

If one is using a USB or WiFi mouse, they can and will get interference from outside sources. It is best to avoid wifi or using the mouse in the same USB port all the time. Plus if the USB port driver has not been updated in a while. Might be a good idea to do so. The current USB port drive is 3.0. Then if the mouse is old the click buttons inside the mouse become worn. These devices are cheap so best buy a new one.

Not really. It's not particularly demanding and I've never seen a mouse have issues with interference. And pretty much every USB wireless mouse receiver is 12 Mbit/sec, which corresponds to the USB 1.1 standard that's more than 20 years old. That is also not particularly demanding.

If there's a problem with the button, it's most likely mechanical. I've had sticking issues, took one apart, and it was working again. However, that kind of repair isn't for everyone. The parts can be really delicate and I've seen some of the tiny little bits break off when I tried to repair.

You are correct, new mouse fixed it. I should have done that before even asking, and huge thank you for all who posted. Still some valuable information in this thread.

I only used wired mouses, I'm just not a fan of wireless stuff, too much RF in the air.

A wireless mouse should be rock solid when it comes to the connection. I've never heard of interference being an issue, even in a building with hundreds of similar devides, Wi-Fi, etc.

I had the same problem. My laptop was driving me crazy because the mouse was constantly stopping ability to work. I realized that there were three different things that could be causing it because it used to work fine and I've had this for many years and it worked fine for many years. It could be software, or it could be that the frequency that the wireless mouse is using is now being interfered with, or is a slight chance also that it's a combination of software and the little connector that I have to keep in the USB port not drawing enough current for the computer to now realize that there is something connected up to that port. Anyhow I consulted a friend who is very well versed in computers and they said to buy a new mouse. So keeping in mind that there's a possibility that a wireless mouse is not drawing enough power for the computer to recognize it's something is there and therefore it puts the port to sleep the same power, I bought a Wired Mouse for about $7 from Walmart. I put that on a little over a month ago and the computer has been running fine ever since. I have absolutely no problems with my mouse anymore. Of course you have to put up with the wire but it's plenty long enough and no real inconvenience.

I've found the problem has often been ordinary stuff like junk collecting in the optical sensor or one of the switches or connecting part breaking. I've taken apart a fair number of these things, and there's really just a button switch similar to what you'd find in a garage door remote. And with a wireless mouse the most obvious should be whether the battery is weak.

I've taken apart one to do a scroll wheel transplant, but I don't really recommend it. It looks bad after it's done. But for something like a Logitech mouse, it's pretty easy to just pry off the cover and go in to remove lint from the scroll wheel or to make sure the button/switch contacts are properly aligned. Sometimes the button press is poor when it goes out of whack. Or the prong is broken and is no longer mechanically sound.

If one is using a USB or WiFi mouse, they can and will get interference from outside sources. It is best to avoid wifi or using the mouse in the same USB port all the time. Plus if the USB port driver has not been updated in a while. Might be a good idea to do so. The current USB port drive is 3.0.
uh no thats just a bunch of no.

What brand and model of the old mouse ?

I recall a few years ago my Logitech wireless mouse not working "well" on my work laptop. Wound up going back to wired. IT could not pinpoint the issue, never figured it out--and it might no longer be there for all I know. But I have a docking station for home and work, and now the battery never goes dead either. :) I figure, the wires will wear out around the time the buttons probably will anyhow.

Who here would have guessed @atikovi would be giving reliable computer advice!

Back