New sleep mode wake up procedure after power failure

Usually if I walk away from the computer for 10 or 15 minutes, the screen goes blank and the computer goes to sleep. To wake it up I just have to move the mouse or press some keys on the keyboard. Now, after the last power failure, those don't awaken it. I have to press the power button to get it running again. This never happened after previous power failures so what might be different know? It's a Dell Optiplex 7010.

It could be that some of the sleep mode files may have become corrupted. Did you try resetting it using the previous date restore feature?

Instant wake up depends on having all the running programs and data in the RAM chips. In sleep mode, the RAM chips continue to receive power so the data is not lost. If the power is cut off, the data will be lost, as RAM technology requires a continuous supply of power to retain the stored data.

Windows also has "hibernate" where the data in RAM is copied to the disk in the expectation of a power loss (the user selected "Shut Down") The copy on disk is moved back to RAM when restarting after the power loss.

After unexpected power loss, the OS and programs have to start up rather than continue. That take more time. If every part of the OS has to restart from scratch (after an install or an upgrade), it can be a significant amount of time. Windows does cheat on this by keeping another image of RAM that is "freshly booted, but no programs started yet" and using that to resume after most power cuts.

This could be a bad sign something got fried during the power failure.

There is software that can keep your computer awake at all times so that you don't have to deal with the issue. "Caffeine" is one example, but there are others. I have it installed on my work computer (shh! don't tell anyone!) because its going to sleep after 10 minutes was really annoying. I have to step away from my desk a lot to do other work.

Windows also has "hibernate" where the data in RAM is copied to the disk in the expectation of a power loss (the user selected "Shut Down")
Apparently this one doesn't?
Untitled.jpg

Could this be a Java issue? I got a prompt to update a few days ago, but when I tried it said something like, files not available.

I'm not much use troubleshooting Windows, but anyone offering help should probably be aware that the OP is using Windows 7...so frame any attempts at help in this context.

Power Options -> Sleep -> Make sure Hibernate is off. Even if it's already off, adjust the time for the sleep to anything else then adjust it back. The setting might have gotten borked.

1690045135293.png

1690045140181.png

Make sure the mouse and/or keyboard have the permission to wake the PC from sleep. In the Device Manager go to keyboard and/or mouse and click on the Power Managenent tab. There you can give the permission for the keyboard and/or mouse to wake the PC. I don't allow the mouse to wake the PC but I do allow the keyboard to wake the PC.

Go into the bios setup / UEFI setup and there is power state after a/c loss = resume or stay off. Set that to resume. Some say "LAST STATE".

Unless on a battery backup UPS, I never use last state as I want them off so data corruption does not occur if there are a ton of power interuptions.

Back