Help with an oil spec for a 2007 Toyota Prius.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
I would do 5w30 synthetic and a Fram Ultra XG 4386

That is the oversized filter for the Camry, and it fits perfectly on that motor.

This is what I plan to do with my new to me 08 Prius (48K miles). 5w30 on my oil cap too.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

I don't believe the chart is fake.

the reason i call it fake is because it's in clear conflict with the official USA toyota document:

http://rav4world.com/pdf/T-TT-0005-10.pdf

That document seems to only be directed at the new oil change intervals and makes no mention of MY 2009 and earlier vehicles, how does it conflict with that?

That document seems to only be directed at the new oil change intervals and makes no mention of MY 2009 and earlier vehicles, how does it conflict with that?

no, the canadian chart goes to 2012 and the US one covers 2010-2014, so they overlap 2010-2012, don't they?
Compare V6 RAV4, or Yaris, or 2010 Prius.

Originally Posted By: GatorJoe
Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
I would do 5w30 synthetic and a Fram Ultra XG 4386

That is the oversized filter for the Camry, and it fits perfectly on that motor.

This is what I plan to do with my new to me 08 Prius (48K miles). 5w30 on my oil cap too.

I think dealers are already doing that too. About a year ago I had my 07 Prius in for a rare dealer service and I had them change oil and filter as well, when I changed it the following time I saw that the OEM filter they installed was the larger size (happens to be the std filter for the RAV4 and I bet the Camry).

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

I don't believe the chart is fake.

the reason i call it fake is because it's in clear conflict with the official USA toyota document:

http://rav4world.com/pdf/T-TT-0005-10.pdf

I don't believe it to be fake its just geographical.
The hottest part of Canada in the summer is about a warm as it gets in NE. The US is another story. IMHO they are specing it for the highest temperature that will be encountered.

I cant see Toyota USA having a Northern and southern spec. I would say if you live in upper NY state or Maine for example you could get away using the Canadian spec.

Originally Posted By: Trav
The hottest part of Canada in the summer is about a warm as it gets in NE. The US is another story. IMHO they are specing it for the highest temperature that will be encountered.

We actually had one of the hottest recorded temperatures ever in North America not too far from here.
wink.gif
But, your point is correct. Some of us do get barely four months of summer, and if one is going to be doing longer OCIs, switching between a 5w-20 and a 0w-20 seasonally is a little silly.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Ahhh, that's where he gets the "0W20 reduces wear" quote.

I notice a lot of 5K OCI and this caught my eye. whats up with this i wonder, 5w20 isn't up to the job if the engine is worked harder?

Quote:
NOTE 1.
With Towing Package -5w-30 / Without Towing Package -5w-20

Trav,
you would think that typically being in a lower gear when towing that the oil flow would be higher on the 0W20...

Guess that even Toyota Engineers slip up occasionally and spec a 30 for heavy duty applications...probably a typo.

It must be a misprint. No way that an oil made with unicorn tears that can be used on the track couldn't hold up to a little towing. Naw it doesn't make sense.
TGMO is the ultimate all makes and models ultra high VI oil for all conditions in all engines inc BMW seeing track time. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back