Help with a car for grandma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the situation. She will buy something like a Tarus, Altima, that little Merc or some similar four door before the end of the year. She goes to visit at her friend's house each day (1/2 mile away) and then to church once a week (2 miles away). Maybe she will go to the store once a week as well (9 miles away). Anything further than that such as doctor/dentist visits, weddings, etc. and someone in the family drives her back and forth and they use their own car to pick her up and transport her.

With this kind of short trip driving I know whatever she buys we will suggest a synthetic oil such as M1 or PP and change it out for her once a year. Although a good dino like Havoline could probably do as well, a once a year oil change deserves a few extra bucks that the synthetic will cost. Does that make sense or is it overkill? I really doubt in her current situation that she will ever put more than a couple thousand miles on a car in a year.

Now, does anyone have any suggestions for a type and model car that would do her best in her driving situation? How about that Altima (she likes the look of it)? This may not be the right forum to ask this question but it sort of goes hand and hand with what oil is best for her driving habits regardless of the make of car. Thanks in advance!

My suggestion would be a 2000 - 2005 Buick LeSabre. All 5 years were the exact same car. The car likes 10w40 Valvoline MaxLife; however, if it's below 80,000 miles then I would say 10w30.
smile.gif

I would recommend a Century, if the LeSabre is bigger than she likes ( IMO it's huge). My mother was rear-ended in her 2002 Century by a pickup going at 45mph that never even hit his brakes.

The back window shattered, but both rear doors still opened. The car was totalled, but the 11 year old boy riding in the back seat was unaffected. It rode very well (almost as smooth as her 2003 Le Sabre :) ) and got great mileage.

The century's smaller motor will work harder which would bring it closer to operating temp more often, a good thing with those short trips.

Those midsize cars all drop about 1/2 of their MSRP over the first 18 months or so too.
wink.gif

Buick supposedly has the highest quality ranking of the typical American car, but the 2003 LeSabre has been a bit of trouble. At about 2 months old, the transmission decided to delay the 1-2 shift until around 5000 rpms, no matter how slow you accelerated (warranty item) ...and the original General tires had to be replaced after about 9 months due to severe dry rot....not covered under warranty. It's also been through 2 batteries. The water pump or ps pump has made a hissing-grinding noise since brand new, and I'm not sure if it's normal but I'm waiting for that to fail any time. It sounds horrible and always has.

I'll back up the Century or later year Cutlass Ciera. Simple, good on gas and cheap on insurance to boot. Sleeper vehicle if you ask me. I know, I owned one for 15 years.

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
"Dial-a-Ride" or public transportation. (I see a sludgemonster in the making...)

Agree with Ray!
cheers.gif

With 1/2 mile trips, the LAST thing I'd recommend is a yearly oil change.
spaz.gif
thumbsdown.gif

With ANY oil!

A Ford Taurus is a good car if you get one with a good engine (mine only needed headgaskets at 61k and 108k) and they loose their value very quick.

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Everybody is suggesting a Buick, but did you know that the new Buick Lucerne with the Northstar V8 is the quietest car on the road tody? The Lucerne w/N* can be had for about $30,000. About 27 mpg highway (take my word for it) Not available with V V T.

My suggestion would be a Malibu! They FLY past me, which means the driver is UNAWARE of their speed.

quote:

Originally posted by CBDFrontier06:
I would recommend a Century, if the LeSabre is bigger than she likes ( IMO it's huge).

You gotta be kidden me!
shocked.gif

That LeSabre is a little car. H***, I've got a '68 Coupe DeVille in storage; now that's a big car.
wink.gif

Yep, I think Gramdma needs a newer LeSabre or Lucerne. I agree with Bill in Utah on frequency of oil changes regardless of type of oil used.

What's the budget. I'd look for a Chevy Malibu from an ex-rental fleet for about $13K, with around 25K on the clock. Just wait a few more months and they should be popping up all over the place...most of them still have less than 25K hence they haven't been retired (and aren't showing up for sale) yet.

I would go with a used low mileage civic, accord, altima, camry, corolla or something similar if I could talk her into it. My mother drives maybe 4k a yr. She has had an 87 accord and now a 2000 honda crv. Both have held up very well for the way she drives. The 87 accord is still going today. My brother uses it as a commuter about 250 miles a week.

Maybe look for something with an aluminium block. My Cavalier with the Ecotec heats up faster than anything else I remember driving.

I have to recommend the PT Cruiser. My wife has the GT Turbo which is more than Granny needs. A base model is well equipped. It is the easiest vehicle to get in and out of I have experienced and visibility is great. Seating arrangements abound making it a great hauler from groceries to step ladders. It has a long wheel base for a pleasant ride. Be sure to take one for a drive. Consumer Reports rates it a best buy. We love it!

I'd say the PT cruiser would be a good choice, maybe not in the turbo for grandma. I'd say though, as to oil change frequency, if you get one of the above mentioned Buicks, and possibly even the Malibu, your oil change frequency worries would be over. I'd imagine that all of the above mentioned GM vehicles would have a GMOLM, all you would have to do is have granny take the car in for an oil change when the car tells her to. As for the type of oil....whatever the owner's manual tells you to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back