Help w/ value of a 2001 Lightning-highly modded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My girlfriends grandfather passed a couple of months ago(god rest his soul).

He owned a 2001 Ford Lightning w/ many mods. The truck is extremely clean. His wife is going to sell the truck soon, and wanted me to try to find out what the truck's worth.

Here are the stats:

4,500 miles.

-Ram air hood
-chrome lightning wheels
-bed cap

Now the good stuff:

-Kenne bell supercharger at 16psi
-Fully built motor/forged internals coated w/ titanium nitrate
-Cold air/ large throttle body
-large intercooler
-60# injectors/255 lph pump
-chrome valve covers
-2800 stall converter

That's all I can think of right now. This truck was built right, the guy that built it, took his time and had it for 9 months, working on it. Only 4500 miles, black in color.

The truck probably puts down 450-500 hp to the wheels.

Anyone have an idea what this may be worth? KBB says 15,000 private party, mods not included and NADA says 17,000 retail w/ no mods included.

Thanks in advance.

Mike, the problem with car values when you look it up on Kelley Blue Book is that it does not really take into account any mods done.

The only thing I can suggest is to add up the price of all of the mods and maybe divide it by 2 and see what you get and add that to the NADA quote.

Is there a chance you would want this truck, this thing sounds like a Mustang Cobra with a pickup bed.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
Put the engine in your Mark VIII.

I 2nd that statement.

Originally Posted By: c3po
Mike, the problem with car values when you look it up on Kelley Blue Book is that it does not really take into account any mods done.

The only thing I can suggest is to add up the price of all of the mods and maybe divide it by 2 and see what you get and add that to the NADA quote.

Is there a chance you would want this truck, this thing sounds like a Mustang Cobra with a pickup bed.

I've barked up that tree already, told her I wanted the truck. Said I know what it is and will appreciate and take care of it. She's not having it, says the truck is too dangerous. There is no way I can talk her into it, wish I could though.

You're right, this truck is AMAZING! Smash the throttle and your going sideways, smash it at 40mph and your at 120mph before you know it. It will also run the 1/4 in the low 12's.

go to svtperformance.com it is the place to go to sell anything SVT related.

o and dont put that motor in your Mark, too heavy.

Last edited:
Put the engine in your Mark VIII.

I wish! I would have the baddest MarkVIII around.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
go to svtperformance.com it is the place to go to sell anything SVT related.

I tried that once with no luck on help. But I will try again, I love that site.

The value of the modifications themselves drives a vehicle's value up, especially when they're done right.

On the other hand, the fact that the vehicle has been modified drives its value down, just because there is generally less of a market for vehicles that have been tampered with in any way.

A fully built engine is good, but keep in mind that with only 4500 miles on the clock, it's not much fresher than what it would have had originally.

If the truck has very few miles and is in cherry condition, I would look on the high side of what KBB and NADA are showing for the car in absolutely showroom perfect condition, and go from there. If the work was done by a VERY well known tuner, you can add a couple grand to the price. From what I've seen, that seems to be a good rule for well modified and well maintained cars.

I agree that if you would want the truck, you should buy it if your girlfriend and her family would be okay with that.

Best of luck to all involved!

Modded vehicles are always difficult to price. These vehicles are always very personalized and not everyone likes or appreciates the work that was done. Finding that special someone who loves the mods and has the money to buy it will be a serious challenge.

A couple thoughts:

1. Forget price guides and valuations used by car dealers. Almost all of them do not want a modded car and none will pay extra for them. KBB, NADA, Black Book, etc are all worthless in this example.

2. Seek out and partner up with SVT car clubs and web forums. That's where you'll find enthusiasts who know and love these vehicles. They can give you a more accurate idea of market pricing.

3. In the modding world, provenance counts. Think of Chip Foose and Troy Trepanier. Research the mods and get an understanding of who did them and why. If they were done right by someone highly respected in the SVT /Ford world, that will mean something to potential buyers.

4. Advertising and promotion is critical. Getting the word out on a car like this will be key to finding a proper buyer. Maybe a good idea is to consign it to a classic/exotic car auction. Being in Phoenix, I'm sure you know all about Barrett-Jackson, Russo & Steele, etc. That's the type of visibility you need.

5. Pursuant to #4, why not pay a few collector car appraisers in Phoenix/Scottsdale and have them put a price on the truck? You definitely have access to the knowledge base there, spend a little money and put it to use.

That's about all I can think of. I hope some of this was helpful. Good luck and let us know what you do with it.

Thanks all for the info so far, very very helpful.

I figured it would be hard to price the truck w/ the mods. I can't remember who built it, but it was a well respected cobra tuner in Phoenix. Her grandfather wouldn't let anyone else touch the truck, and he had it for 9 months working on it.

I really wish I could buy the truck from her, but she won't budge, she's a very stubborn woman.

Originally Posted By: panthermike

I've barked up that tree already, told her I wanted the truck. Said I know what it is and will appreciate and take care of it. She's not having it, says the truck is too dangerous. There is no way I can talk her into it, wish I could though.

Forget the value of the truck; I'd be looking up NADA values on your wife.

Buy it though a third party. i.e. straw purchase. Not illegal, but she probably won't like you. :p kekekekekeke

Ha ha, good idea! She likes me but's worried i'll kill myself in the truck(even though I would only drive fast at the track). She has good intentions though, if I had the money now, I would buy it third party. Don't have the money at the moment though. I asked her to hold the truck for a little bit for me, but she won't.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: panthermike

Forget the value of the truck; I'd be looking up NADA values on your wife.

crackmeup2.gif
I meant trying to talk the grandma into selling it to me. The girlfriend is all for it, actually thought it would be cool.

If this truck is so dangerous, why did Grandma let Grandpa buy the truck and do all of this stuff.

Do they even make these F150 Lightnings anymore.

Only thing I could find in B-J autcion database:

------------------------------------------------------------------
Barrett-Jackson Lot Details
Barrett-Jackson Lot: 310 - 1999 FORD F-150 LIGHTNING SVT PICKUP

Lot Number: 310

Auction: PALM BEACH 2008
Sale Price: *$12,650.00
Year: 1999
Make: FORD
Model: F-150
Style: LIGHTNING SVT PICKUP
Exterior Color: WHITE
Interior Color: GRAY
Cylnders: 8
Engine Size: 5.4 LITER
Transmission: 4-SPEED AUTOMATIC

Summary: A white Ford Lightning #320. Built April 16, 1999 in Ontario's truck plant. A stock daily driver that runs and drives like a dream.

Details: In late 1998, oil dipped to $11 a barrel. Alan Greenspan was warning about "irrational exuberance" and the pending stock bubble. During this age of turbulence Ford's SVT was readying their Hot Rod truck for a Spring 1999 launch. It was then that I ordered my first and only dream truck. Our white Lightning was built April 16 and delivered May 5 to me in Ft Worth, TX. It is #320 in a production run of 4,000 that year. Since then it has been regularly driven, maintained and loved by my entire family. Although nearing 100,000 actual miles, our white Lightning looks and runs like a youngster. Warranty and maintenance records are provided as is the Window Sticker and SVT documentation from O.J. Coletti, Chief Engineer. This is a truck you can drive and enjoy. You will not be disappointed.

Originally Posted By: c3po
If this truck is so dangerous, why did Grandma let Grandpa buy the truck and do all of this stuff.

Do they even make these F150 Lightnings anymore.

Well, he had a bit more pull than me :) She eventually said "go ahead, kill yourself"

They stopped making Lightnings after the 2004 MY.

Originally Posted By: bretfraz
Only thing I could find in B-J autcion database:

------------------------------------------------------------------
Barrett-Jackson Lot Details
Barrett-Jackson Lot: 310 - 1999 FORD F-150 LIGHTNING SVT PICKUP

Lot Number: 310

Auction: PALM BEACH 2008
Sale Price: *$12,650.00
Year: 1999
Make: FORD
Model: F-150
Style: LIGHTNING SVT PICKUP
Exterior Color: WHITE
Interior Color: GRAY
Cylnders: 8
Engine Size: 5.4 LITER
Transmission: 4-SPEED AUTOMATIC

Summary: A white Ford Lightning #320. Built April 16, 1999 in Ontario's truck plant. A stock daily driver that runs and drives like a dream.

Details: In late 1998, oil dipped to $11 a barrel. Alan Greenspan was warning about "irrational exuberance" and the pending stock bubble. During this age of turbulence Ford's SVT was readying their Hot Rod truck for a Spring 1999 launch. It was then that I ordered my first and only dream truck. Our white Lightning was built April 16 and delivered May 5 to me in Ft Worth, TX. It is #320 in a production run of 4,000 that year. Since then it has been regularly driven, maintained and loved by my entire family. Although nearing 100,000 actual miles, our white Lightning looks and runs like a youngster. Warranty and maintenance records are provided as is the Window Sticker and SVT documentation from O.J. Coletti, Chief Engineer. This is a truck you can drive and enjoy. You will not be disappointed.

Good reference point, but this truck should go for more than that. In my opinion, based off of ebay and such, the truck may go for 24-25K, but who knows in this economy.

You are correct and that $24-25k pricing seems about right from what little I've read. I haven't found a lot of auction data but am still looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back