Help picking a push mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been doing all the reading in the world and read just about all the pros and cons of each available mower.

I want a simple, no [censored] mower that is not self propelled
smile.gif
I wanted something powered by a Honda. Lawn Boy has a unit powered by Honda and of course a Honda itself (bagged model) BUT i heard the Honda motor has a rubber cam timing belt, meanwhile the TORO version of the same engine is all gear drive with a cast iron cylinder.

Thoughts, opinions? I don't mind buying something premium, as I am too poor to buy something twice. Thanks fellas.

Well you said you were set on a Honda engine or mower so I'm not sure you'll welcome this recommendation.

About nine years ago, I bought a Toro mower (self-propelled but it's an option you don't have to engage). It is shameful how I have abused and neglected that thing -- left it out in the rain for days, etc. Yet just yesterday, I primed the engine with one or two pumps and it started. And it ran. And as long as I keep the blade sharp it does a fantastic job.

So that's my 2 cents. I would buy a Toro again but have nothing against Hondas as you can tell in my sig.

Edit: mine is a rear bag version with three options: bagging the cut grass in the bag, shoot the grass out the side shoot, or grind it into mulch and let the grass fall on the ground.

Last edited:
Our Honda (albeit self propelled) runs great. It's got the GCV190. It does have the timing belt, though. I would hands down recommend a Honda, but I've used a Toro that I like. It's hard to go wrong with those.

Last edited:
My 12 year old push Craftsman with the 6.5 Briggs starts on the first pull. Yearly OCI, air filter, and blade sharpen. New spark plug every 6 years or so.

Lawn-Boy has been owned by Toro for about 20 years now, and Toro's slowly been neutering the Lawn-Boy name so that it's really just the same as any other stamped deck mower today. Like the consumer-grade Toros, most Lawn-Boys use engines affectionally referred to as Chondas -- Chinese copies of the Honda GXV engine. I would have no worries using one, but do wonder about replacement parts.

I have two Honda mowers, and recommend them without hesitation. One is an HR215 with a heavy aluminum deck from 2001 and the other is an HRB217 with a plastic deck from 2003. I worry not about the timing belts on the GCV engines. I own two of these engines (a GCV190 on the HRB217 mower) and a GC160 on a pressure washer from 2002. The timing belts are as durable as the engines are.

Looking at the broader picture, though, I'd first ask how much you enjoy using a lawn mower, or mowing the lawn in general. Is it something you absolutely loathe? Or is it something you look forward to? You said you want a no-frills non-propelled mower. If that's your preference, and if you hate mowing the lawn anyway, I wouldn't spend any more money than you need to -- buy a $200 Murray or Yard Machines mower from Walmart. Engine-wise, I'd rather have one of those (with the base model Briggs) than an unknown Chonda on a Lawn-Boy or consumer Toro. No, they're not heirloom mowers that you'll pass down to your grand kids, but they get the job of mowing the lawn done just fine.

If you enjoy machines and enjoy mowing the lawn, then I'd recommend something like a nicer Honda or Husqvarna (almost always a Honda engine on these) or Toro with a Honda or Briggs engine. The used mower market on Craigslist is usually good for older Super Recyclers, older Hondas, and older Snappers if that's your thing.

I actually never owned a mower (first time home) been living in a town home with no grass. I love machinery of every kind and I take pride in what I own.

So you're telling me the Honda engine found on the lawn boy/toro/ is not an identical copy of the ones found on the Honda mowers themselves?

I bought a Craftsman 21" push last year. It came with a Briggs exi. I thought it was great when I bought it. Lots of power and used very little fuel. Now I hear the valves. The clearance had opened up and I adjusted. They still rattle away. It still has lots of power but sure doesn't sound great.

i just bought a craftsman black in color (high wheel in back) non self propelled push mower with the b&s overhead valve motor. so far, i really like it. it mulches the grass better than the toro personal pace mower it replaced!! and the overhead valve motor is much, MUCH better on fuel than the flat head was.

Originally Posted By: Striker
So you're telling me the Honda engine found on the lawn boy/toro/ is not an identical copy of the ones found on the Honda mowers themselves?

If it's a Honda-branded engine, it will be the same engine, yes. Have a peek at the current Lawn-Boy models:

https://www.lawnboy.com/en/Products

Only model 10736 has a genuine Honda GCV engine (you can tell by the horizontal "candy bar block" shape on the valve cover). The other Lawn-Boy models use a Kohler-branded engine, which is appears to be a Chinese copy of a Honda GXV.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/1510819/kohler-engines-made-in-china

Similar with Toro's mowers:

https://www.toro.com/en/homeowner/walk-behind-mowers

Only model 20337 has a genuine Honda GCV engine. The other models have Briggs engines or the same Kohlers that adorn Lawn-Boys.

Note that I wouldn't necessarily avoid any of these engines. But, since you asked about Honda engines in particular, MOST of the Toro/Lawn-Boy models don't have them. Only one model in each brand has a genuine Honda engine.

Thanks buddy.

Yea, that was the LB I was comparing the Honda HRR2169PKC which will cost me $100 more.

The LB is made in Mexico meanwhile I do believe the Honda is Murican.

I'd pay the extra $100 for the Honda. Note the Lawn-Boy uses a plastic front axle...that's not just a plastic covering over a metal axle -- it's a plastic axle assembly thing that basically attaches to the front of the steel deck.

Yes, Honda's power equipment is made in the United States. Honda Power Equipment Mfg is located in central North Carolina. I understand they cast and produce the engines and also assemble the mowers there. Honda has a presence in South Carolina, too -- their recreational power sports facility (PWC, ATVs, etc) is near Florence, SC. They may make their outboard engines there, too, I'm not sure.

Edit: if you enjoy this stuff, I'd take a look at the plastic deck Hondas, too. I never thought I'd like one, but after doing some horse trading for one a few years ago, the 2003 HRB217 I got from a friend quickly became my mower of choice. I converted it to fixed throttle (as I did my HR215) because I like simple, and the thing just purrs along. Its so light, you don't even feel the need to use the propulsion drive. It's got ball bearing wheels front and rear, so it just glides along. Seriously, it's a really quality machine that will last a LONG time. Mine's from 2003 and it's needed a replacement carburetor and a transmission drive cable. I put that on for the previous owner a year or two ago before I traded him some labor for it, so I've known (and used) this mower since it was new.

Got a new Honda HRR2169 last night. Super happy I went with this over the fisher price Lawn Boy. The wheels feel so much more solid. Going to throw some conventional oil in her for the first 5 hours than go with a good synthetic when I change the oil in the car.

I have a Harsquvana w Honda power,I have to admit it sucked out of the box
Todays mowers,many have no throttle. They are preset from the factory to
run like [censored] ,slow and lethargic which makes it weak !
I played with mine,got the RPM up with a few tweeks and its been pretty good ever since
starts on first pull

I always let it warm up before I hit the grass,always keep the oil clean (DAH)
and stab a new blade in once a year.. IMO as long as it has a honda engine
its going to last

I bought my first expensive mower this spring after almost 15 years of home ownership. I have been using free and busted up junk most all my life. After all my research I ended up with a Snapper Ninja. VERY robust build. Self propell is stupid easy to maintain and fix if something ever goes wrong, and it comes with a commercial grade B&S engine that has been simply beautiful so far. I can mulch knee high grass as fast as I want...just awesome!

Good choice. My 5 year old Honda hasn't been trouble free but I like it more than my previous Toro. The auto choke/kill switch broke on mine which I still have to fix. Still starts on the 3-4th pull, is quiet and mulches really well.

To be honest, I changed the oil with some left over Royal Purple 5w-30 about 4 years ago and haven't changed it since!
shocked.gif
Hasn't burned a drop and is still clean. I'll probably change it this year when I put it up.

Last edited:
I bought a Cub Cadet SC-100 push mower 2 years ago for $250. It was rated highly by a consumer rating mag.

Pros: Nice clean cut, Lightweight, very easy to start, easy access oil drain plug
grin.gif
, easy to remove and empty bag, available at home depot online, noticeably more fuel efficient than older mower, Easy change from bag to mulch, easy height adjustment.

Cons: bag angle makes for frequent bag empties, exhaust blows straight ahead blowing leaves etc. out of mower path(minor),
doesn't suck up small leaves etc. as well as old snapper hi-vac.

The cons are minor. If you are mulching or side discharging it's even better. The Chinese Kohler engine turns off some, but, it seems to run well: starts easy and does not bog down in tall damp grass.

The old snapper was a disappointment. Only lasted 12 years before engine failure. Previous Craftsman's lasted 19+ years with less frequent maint.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back