Help me with Winter Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car is 04 Subaru WRX STi
Size for tire is 225\45R17
Rim size is 5x100

---

Im leaning towards the Blizzak WS60s unless somoene recommends otherwise.

Thoughts?

When I lived in Pennslyvania, I tried those blizzaks and really liked them. If you really want to go, I tried studded tires and they were excellent, I kept a set of 4 on steel wheels and put them on in the winter months and put my aluminum wheels back on in the spring, for summer. You can prbably pick up some cheap steel wheels on Ebay or at a salvage yard, this is the best route, even if you dont go with studs, the winter tires will last you a long time, just using them in the winter months.

Lots of folks like the Blizzaks. I agree with Panzerman, buy 4 rims for winter. Tires get quite abused when mounting and remounting (ripped beads, damage rims, etc)

I didn't see any reviews on the WS-60 and the WS-50 are on sale at Tirerack so I went with them. There are many reviews on the WS-50. As far buying an extra set of rims they can be quite heavy mounted and unless you like mounting tires they are somewhat of a nuisance. I didn't buy the extra wheets and have had mine mounted at Walmart for the last 6 years and haven't had any damage to the tires. As far as used steel wheels I looked at some at the salvage yard and they were full of rust so I would spring for new ones if I went that way since I don't have a sandblaster.

The WS-50/60 Blizzack tires are incredible in the snow & ice. However on dry/wet pavement they are like driving on a $35 special 13" all-season tire. They will ruin the driving experience of an STI. I had them on a Civic and was sorely disappointed on dry/wet winter days (most of my winter).

For some reason I don't think in PA you get extreme winter conditions where the tires you propose are more appropriate.

With an STI or any performance car they actually make winter performance tires speed rated to 130MPH that really can handle on dry roads and are nearly on par with with winter tires on snow/ice.

Some suggestions are the Blizzack LM-22/LM-25 if you like Bridgestone and many I know run Dunlop M3's are beyond happy.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/types/snows.jsp#Anchor-Performance-49575

Originally Posted By: rjundi

For some reason I don't think in PA you get extreme winter conditions where the tires you propose are more appropriate.

With an STI or any performance car they actually make winter performance tires speed rated to 130MPH that really can handle on dry roads and are nearly on par with with winter tires on snow/ice.

Some suggestions are the Blizzack LM-22/LM-25 if you like Bridgestone and many I know run Dunlop M3's are beyond happy.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/types/snows.jsp#Anchor-Performance-49575

Although I can't recommend them yet, another possibility is the new Yokohama W.Drive. It is a V rated high performance winter tire.

I can't recommend them mainly because I haven't driven them in snow or ice yet. However, they are an upgrade in every way over my OEM Continental Pro Contacts all seasons on dry and wet which is amazing for a winter tire. Wet road torque steer was severe with the Contis and have been eliminated with the W.drives. The car is also sharper in dry cornering. There is less of a "floaty" feel around high speed curves. The only downside is that they are a little more noisy, but that's to be expected for a high performance tire.

I will update you once I drive them in snow in ice which should be any day now.

When I tried a studless winter tire a few years back I went with the Arctic Alpin as the Blizzak winter compound wore quickly when not on snow or ice, and it's only 1/2 the tread depth. Some people were only getting one season out their tires. The Alpins lasted five seasons, and while they were a good winter tire they aren't as good the studded Hakka 2 on both cars, which is also an older design.

Originally Posted By: rjundi

Depends on where in PA...if he lives near the snow belt, they get enough snow/ice to rival most any other place in the US, except maybe for the Rocky Mountains...if he lives in the southern portion of PA, we get a lot of ice.

I just bought a set of Cooper M&S (that's what they are called, a "Cooper M&S"). I had them studded, although they are severe weather rated. They have performed well in the couple of winter storms I drove around in...but I'm not sure they have the sizes you need.

I bought Dunlop Winter Sport M3s for my Cobalt and have been delighted with them based on just a couple snows so far, and a lot of ice. I mounted them on black steel rims since I don't want the salt damaging my nice factory aluminum wheels. I'll be watching tire wear closely; if wear looks to be minimal I'll try to keep them on as long as possible in the spring - I like these tires so much.

I've run winterforce (directional) studdable tires on my RMS for the two seasons it saw winter. I honestly never had an issue. Not sure if they offer a size for your STI though..

i use nokian wrs on my outback. these aren't quite full blown snow tires (although they have the snowflake emblem), but they are pretty good.

i also have substantially less horsepower than you.
LOL.gif

two places to research:

http://www.tirerack.com

http://www.tirefactory.net

I have used Blizzaks for the past five winters, and thought they were the best in the west for winter. Then I drove my buddy's car (same model/different year) with Nokian RSI's and there was no comparison.

ChiTDI- what models cars were you comparing? In what terms were the Nokian RSI better than Blizzak (model?)

I'm running Blizzak WS-50's on dedicated snow wheels on a G35 and feel they are very good for deep snow, ice. They are no performance tires and are very cushy on dry roads. But for snow driving, they are great!

I've been using Blizzak WS-50s for a week now on the CRV and its' a totally different experience than a/s tires. Like being on a snowmobile.

VW Jettas. I'm not unhappy with the Blizzaks, it's just that the RSI's had more traction in the snow. It was about four inches deep. I could take curves at a higher rate and the braking "seemed" better, but no empirical stuff, just seat of the pants.
The RSIs were new though, and mine were five winters old so...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
VW Jettas. I'm not unhappy with the Blizzaks, it's just that the RSI's had more traction in the snow. It was about four inches deep. I could take curves at a higher rate and the braking "seemed" better, but no empirical stuff, just seat of the pants.
The RSIs were new though, and mine were five winters old so...

Blizzack's (WS-50's) special tread that works incredibly well on ice/snow is done around 20k miles. After that you get an all-season tire and very [censored] one at that. That was the biggest disappointment of Blizzack's that were short lived when I used to drive 25k miles/year (last only two winters for).

The wet performance of WS-50's also is like having the $25 special all-seasons they offer at Pep Boys etc. Absolutely abysmal with WS-50's.

However when the tread is there they are nothing short of incredible on snow/ice.

I had Blizzaks (ws-50 I think)on the rear of my 94 T-Bird. Just about unstoppable. The only bad thing I can say is that with full tread, they were a little squirmy as the compound is very flexible. Go like stink they would!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: Thorn
I would strongly recommend that you consider Nokian snow tires. Check out this link to their website showing the tires that are available in your size.

Nokian 225/45/17

AGREED! IF he lives outside of the Pennsyltucky 'snow belt', then he is a perfect candidate for the WRG2s, if not put RSi s on that thing and climb ice walls with it!!
They do have lockable center diffs, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back