Help me with a computer for an older person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
And a legit suggestion was already posted. Sounds like something running ChromeOS would be just about perfect.

ChromeOS is a Linux distribution anyway.

OP: If you want safe, secure, private and easy AND manageable from 1500 miles away, a Linux-based OS of some sort is pretty much it.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
ChromeOS is a Linux distribution anyway.

True, of course. But ChromeOS has a WAY more simplified and streamlined interface and it doesn't require any care and feeding to keep it running and keeping it secure. Perfect for this application.

Must respectfully disagree with Linux/Chrome suggestions. This lady already has a capable Windows pc according to the op.

She has at least some familiarity with it and with the addition of Teamviewer and the OP's support she should get along fine with what she has.

Don't get me wrong, I use Linux Mint and have used Ubuntu and like them both. But without support neither of them are for the faint of heart or for someone who isn't willing and able to learn some basics and get familiar with a new interface, new terminology etc.

As you well know, just installing a printer driver can be a challenge.

The idea that a Linux Distro is immune to viruses and malware is a mistaken one. A Linux distro CAN become infected, mostly with Windows viruses but they can't run on a Linux machine, but they CAN infect another Windows machine! So, the OP logs into Teamviewer with his Windows machine and he's infected.

I've installed Linux Mint on a couple of Windows XP computers for friends who didn't want to pay for a modern copy of Windows and didn't want to buy a new computer. One couple, in their fifties, loved it and continue to use it, another person, younger, ended up selling their old pc and bought a new one with Windows 8.1 preloaded.

I would definitely not recommend Linux for this situation.

Larry

I live with both linux/unix and Windows environment, and I must say that each has their merits/shortcomings.

@ work: I have to use a Win7; @ home, I have Win7 and Mandriva. My travel PC (VPN back into office for work) is Mandriva-based.

I'm comfortable with either one of them, but for many users (noobies or old folks), linux can be sometimes intimidating to them, citing that there's a lack of some sort of ease of user interaction that Windows users are so comfortable with.

Occasionally, I give brief tutorials to some noobs on how to use linux/Windows, and I observe them as I train them (and came out with such conclusion).

For those who claimed linux cannot/will not get infections (ditto with andriod based OS, Mac OSX, etc.) I laughed at them. I work in IT (security-centric) environment and I see them get hit on a regular basis.

crooks don't care whether you are on Windows or not (before they develop malwares); all they ever care for is the market share. In this context: android is their next biggest target other than Windows.

Q.

Originally Posted By: daddi
Thanks for all the replies!!

She has a decent computer now, but it seems as she gets older she forgets alot of the basics of it. She gets in a panic and calls us. Hard for me to fix it for her over the phone.

Hard to say when the last time anti malware, spyware, virus scan was done.

Really interested in the teamviewer. What do I need for her to do on her end for me to run the software?? As I mentioned shes not computer savvy.

Can I actually update and run programs from my home computer on her computer, such as virus scanner and malware scanners??? That might be all I need to do!!

It would be helpful if we knew what OS she's been using. Changing it might REALLY confuse her, so I'd advise against that for now. I would strongly encourage you & her getting set up so you can log in to her machine, fix things, and check up on it. I would start there first. Good luck!

Originally Posted By: bornconfuzd
Don't get me wrong, I use Linux Mint and have used Ubuntu and like them both. But without support neither of them are for the faint of heart

OP said she uses a web browser.

I'd set it up with the Firefox (or Chrome) icon on the desktop which she clicks (or have the browser open fullscreen at login?) Done. Set Ubuntu or Mint or whatever to auto-update security updates and she'll never have to worry about any Windows-related frustrations.

Having said all of that, a Chromebook might be a good choice; but I don't know how effectively ChromeOS allows you to customize the UI. I think it is important that you, in setting this thing up, strips away all but what she needs. Only truly free OS's allow you to do that.

Must respectfully disagree with Linux/Chrome suggestions. This lady already has a capable Windows pc according to the op.

And if that situation were working well, this thread would not exist.

Windows, with all of the invasive and disruptive security and update issues - not to mention how much software you might need from third-party sources just to make the thing function - is not for the faint of heart! Ubuntu/ Mint has everything you need to remain simple, secure and safe - and all of the software you need comes from ONE source where all of the software has been compiled and tested for you. You can use Teamviewer with Ubuntu and Mint.

Again, OP says she just needs a web browser. Use Ubuntu LTS releases or the Mint releases that track the Ubuntu LTS releases and you're set for years and years.

So, the OP logs into Teamviewer with his Windows machine and he's infected.

Then Teamviewer has got some major, major security concerns if the machinations of malware are that indistinguishable from magic.

You cannot get malware from viewing or controlling another person's screen. I suppose you can use Teamviewer's file sharing function to find the malware on the target machine, transfer it to your own and execute it; but that only works if you're actively trying to mess your stuff up and you use Windows (which is the requisite first step in trying to mess your stuff up).

Linux Mint would be extremely helpful. She can check her emails, do banking, and do printing very easily, and once its set up correctly, she'll be good for forever and a day, given her needs.

Hello,
Really need some help for a computer for my 84 year old mother in law. She is NOT computer savvy and we live 1500 miles away, so its hard to help her troubleshoot her desktop over the phone.

All she needs is something to RELIABLY get on the internet every time. She does not run any programs. And just needs the internet to check her email, bank statement, netflix etc. She will occasionally print to her printer.

With her the simpler/more basic the better. Nothing fancy or expensive.

I was looking at some chromebooks, but don't know much about them, but they may be the answer.

Thanks for all the help. Tom

Would an ipad be workable? Perhaps pair it with an Apple TV and show her how to get Netflix onto the big screen. It should be able to print as well.

If you are looking at Chromebooks, and don't need a laptop, then the Chromebase is a 21.5 inch monitor with everything you need, or a Chromebox just needs you to add a monitor, keyboard and mouse.

These are all the most trouble free, reliable things I can think of with good screens and good speed. And any number of people could help her out if she has any questions about an ipad.

I set her up with Firefox with auto updates. But for some reason lately whenever she goes to a web site, Google for instance, it says that the web site is untrusted and does she want to back out or create an exception. Of course this freaks her out. Not sure why it happens especially on a popular web site. She likes Google which seems like a Chromebook might be my best option.

her PC clock is probably wrong.

Originally Posted By: Subdued
I set her up with Firefox with auto updates. But for some reason lately whenever she goes to a web site, Google for instance, it says that the web site is untrusted and does she want to back out or create an exception. Of course this freaks her out. Not sure why it happens especially on a popular web site. She likes Google which seems like a Chromebook might be my best option.

Those errors and warnings can also be due to the locally-stored database of trusted SSL certificates which are provided by a small handful of companies (of trivial note: the guy who started Ubuntu made his zillions with one of these companies). I wonder, if those certificates are not up-to-date, that there might be a conflict of information between what is being provided by a given web site and what is stored locally.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more

Those errors and warnings can also be due to the locally-stored database of trusted SSL certificates which are provided by a small handful of companies (of trivial note: the guy who started Ubuntu made his zillions with one of these companies). I wonder, if those certificates are not up-to-date, that there might be a conflict of information between what is being provided by a given web site and what is stored locally.

bingo..

Linux, ChromeOs, Windows or whatever. However the key thing is having a reliable remote screen sharing program you can easily let her show you and ask her questions.

Chrome has a freebee but I think there are better ones out there.

incorrect PC time in the #1 cause of that mismatch, btw

Wow Thanks for all the good advice!!! Will have her check the time and date when I have her on the phone.

Once I have that straightened out will set her up with the program where I can control her computer.

If all that fails then will buy her a chromebook and set it up for her.

Thanks for all the help/advice!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back