Help me select oil for a 1.3 fiat multijet in a Suzuki brezza in India.

Hello Everyone,

Vehicle:

Suzuki Brezza
ODO: 40,000 KM
Oil used so far - Mobil Super Maruti Genuine Diesel Oil 5W-40. This is the only oil that is permitted in the warranty period. We do not have consumer protection laws in India like the USA
OCI - First oil change at 1000 KM, after that an oil change every 10000 KM
Recommended oil spec- - 10w40 or 5w30 ACEA A5/B5

Engine:

Fiat 1300cc miltijet diesel, 90BHP
EGR is present, no DPF or SCR
Purolator filter, no good quality filters are available in India
Oil Capacity - 3.5L

Fuel:

BS IV diesel
Sulfur max 50ppm
Full fuel specification

Driving conditions.

The lowest temp the car will see is 15C i.e 60F
OCI 5000KM or 8000KM hence forth
60% city (can be characterized as severe service) + 40% highway ( 90-100kmph max speed. at 80kmph engine will be runnning at 1800RPM, red line is 4500RPM)

Good Oils that I can get easily.

1.Shell Rimula R4 - 15W40 - API CI-4; ACEA E7, E5; Datasheet
2.AMSOIL Heavy-Duty Synthetic Diesel Oil 5w40 - API CK-4;ACEA E9, E7 Datasheet
3.AMSOIL Signature Series 5W-30 - ACEA A5/B5; Datasheet
4.Mobil Delvac 1 - 5W-40 - API CI-4+; ACEA E7/E4; website
5.Liqui Moly Touring High Tech 15W-40 ACEA E7/B4; datasheet

What oil from the above list would you recommend.

Can I run the Rimula R4 or the Liqiui Moly with an oci of 6000KM? they much cheaper than the other oils

Cost of the oils
1. Shell - 250 INR/L - 3.5$/L
2. Amsoil Heavy-Duty Synthetic Diesel Oil 5w40 - INR 600/L - 8.5$/L
3. Amsoil Singature - INR 1000/L - 15$/L
4. Mobil Delvac - INR 800/L - 11.5$/L
5. Liqui Moly - INR 450/L - 6.5$/L

Thank you

Last edited:
Since your engine doesnt have dpf...you can run pretty anything...

I would recomend A3/B4 oil over A5/B5...since A5/B5 is there only to lower your fuel consumption (lower HTHS)

Or you can even use HDEOs...E sentences above...even better if your fuel quality there is low...

And since you live in a hot climate...I would choose xW40 oil over anything else...Shell rimula sounds the best option for you... Price/performance!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Popsy
This isn't an old school diesel...but I....

....would like to have it here since it is without DPF
smile.gif

Yes I know...I can buy a Fiat with it and do a dpf delete and reprogram its ECU...but its against the rules
smile.gif

Same here. And with inspection every two years and the will of the government to get rid of diesels through stringent pollution controls, forget it.

My Fiat TD100 has inspection valid till September...it will probably don't pass the new inspection pollution threshold...what to do with it ? Only 350K+ Km, it's almost new^^

Hm can they do that? To decomission it? They cant just change approvals for the past...if its Euro4 its Euro4...yes you can have some restrictions for the major cities...but they can not ban you from registering it...?

It's very recent so I'm not sure yet. From what I've heard it's mostly for Euro 3 cars, apparently so far the inspection allowed a bit more "pollution" than Euro 3, not anymore.
My car is Euro 2, in the past they only tested for fumes opacity (finger in the nose with a decently tuned engine without EGR), now if they start testing NOx and CO2 on a 20yo diesel, I'm pretty much screwed
smile.gif

Also yes, this car can't go anymore to some major cities, it's been a few years already. Very nice country, they pushed and pushed diesel for years, no diesel is evil.

And if the car doesn't have a valid inspection, it's not road legal anymore, and can't be sold except for scrap.

Funny...if that "dieselgate" affair goes beyond all limits (dunno what proper termin to use)...I will try to register my LC as a antique/classic car
smile.gif

5 more years and I'll be able to do that. But it means inspection every 5 years...and limited used of the vehicle. Worth for a valuable antique, not a POS Fiat
wink.gif

I guess it's their way to support car manufacturers!

Originally Posted by Parikshith
Thank you all, I'm going to go with the Shell Rimula R4

For the Brezza diesel, do note that what Suzuki specifies is -

D13A - 5w30 or 0w30 ACEA A5/B5 (Oils on the Indian market - Mobil X1, Amsoil European Car Formula, Shell HX8, Liqui Moly Special Tec..)
D16AA - 5w30 or 0w30 ACEA C2 - eg Castrol Edge Titanium, Mobil 1 ESP ..

You can run it with heavier weight oils like the 15w40s above but Maruti tends not to appreciate oil changes outside their dealerships using their approved products while your car is in warranty. They have MGDO (Maruti Genuine Diesel Oil) cobrands with ExxonMobil, Petronas etc besides IOCL / BP type local manufacturers if that increases your comfort level.

If you want other conventional or semi synthetic oils in India that are priced around the Rimula R4 (which is quite decent and I've currently got it filled in my Scorpio, but then it asks for CH4 or higher 15w40 weight oil so..) -

GS Caltex Kixx D1 15w40 Platinum Plus CI4+ - https://www.amazon.in/API-CI-4-15W-40-Semi-Synthetic/dp/B072BJTKXM/
Valvoline Premium Plus 15w40 CI4+ - https://amazon.in/Valvoline-Premium-Plus-15W40-CI4/dp/B01FCZ1YLG/
HP Milcy Turbotech CI4+ amazon.in/HP-Lubricants-Milcy-Turbotech-15W-40/dp/B0749N47F6/

Any quality major brand oil that meets Fiats specs will give equal results over your ownership of the vehicle. Clean oil makes an engine happy.

Hm can they do that? To decomission it? They cant just change approvals for the past...if its Euro4 its Euro4...yes you can have some restrictions for the major cities...but they can not ban you from registering it...?
OK let me tell you how this used to work :

Not a long time ago, diesels passenger cars emissions were only tested for smoke (opacity) every 2 years, and commercial diesel vehicles every year.
The threshold were :
For pre-2008 NA diesel engine = k < 2,5 m-1
For pre-2008 Turbo diesel engine = k < 3,0 m-1
For post-2008 diesel engine = k < 1,5 m-1
For Euro 6 diesel engine = k < 0,7 m-1

But, from January 2019, the threshold used are now the ones, if available, in the "MOT" database, or on the vehicle identification plate (if the value is present).
And from July 2019, the 20% tolerance margin that was applied before if the vehicle has a registered opacity value in the database or on the plate, was removed !
So, where my 1996 Mercedes C250TD would be tested with a threshold of 3 (or 0.84, depending of the operator I guess haha) before 2019, it's now tested with a threshold of... wait for it... 0.70 !
But, fear not. If everything is working correctly (injection system, EGR, PCV, valve timing...) and the engine was maintened well, those low threshold will not be a reason to fail the inspection. My 25yo car passed every test at 0.50 to 0.60. We have ultra low sulfur diesel without bio. A maintened engine should comply.

Yes, asking a 25 years old engine to comply like a Euro6 engine on smoke is strange.
But asking that the engine should operate like new, without the 20% tolerance margin accounting for the engine aging, is somehow a racket.

I personally think the 20% margin should stay and the database should be forced in use.

Now, very soon we're going to have, for Euro 4 and after only, NOx testing, particle count, etc.

Back