Help me pick the correct SSD for my PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nick R
Not anymore. Problem is Samsung went to TLC. Which I'd never buy. I want a drive that will last, and I just don't feel like I'm getting my value out of a TLC drive.

Which is why I recommended the two-bit MLC Intel, not the three-bit TLC 840 EVO.

Exactly. The 830, and to a lesser extent the 840Pro, have shown themselves to be as durable as many enterprise SLC drives, you just need to find the SSD Torture Test.

how much do you want to spend.

there is a 128GB sandisk for 65$ right now.

but generally speaking I stick to crucial or samsung.. and most intel.

Last edited:
I ended up going with THIS SSD- the 120gig version of the one that Ramblejam recommended. After doing some thinking, I really didn't need the extra capacity and cost of the bigger SSDs when I'm going to use the old one (and likely an external HDD as backup) as well. I should receive it tomorrow (Fri).

Thank you guys again for your input! It's nice to get recs from others so I can steer away from potential pitfalls.

Why don't you get an SSD hybrid. While browsing the the laptop drives, I noticed they were only about $40 more. Seems about right, I was tempted to upgrade. (Haven't yet though; I think my drive still has a few more years of reliable run time.)

Primarily because I'm so far out of touch with puters that I don't know what a hybrid SSD is. Also because you were late to the party and didn't recommend it before I made a purchase.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Primarily because I'm so far out of touch with puters that I don't know what a hybrid SSD is. Also because you were late to the party and didn't recommend it before I made a purchase.
grin.gif

Don't sweat it. Hybrid drives are marginally better than a standard platter HD. They combine a very small SSD with a platter drive into one unit. They are an option if you can only utilize one drive, but they can't hold a candle to a true SSD and a separate platter drive.

I got a Crucial 240 GB about three or four weeks ago from Tiger Direct for $110 (after rebates). So far, so good. Did a fresh install of Win7.

You can run a SATA-3 drive on a SATA-2 motherboard (one of my computers has this setup). There is no real world noticeable degradation in performance versus a SATA-3 drive. The only time you'd notice a difference is if you copied dozens of gigabyte-sized files, which people rarely do.

Intel, Toshiba & Samsung are the best SSD's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back