Help me pick the correct SSD for my PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been wanting to make the switch from my WD HDD to a SSD for some time now. Finally decided to do it soon, but am not sure what to get. I used to be "into" computers a little bit a few years ago, but my interests have changed and computer tech has FAR outpaced my knowledge, so I would like some help choosing the right drive. I would, if possible like a Samsung unit, but would consider others- are there even major differences between them?

What factors do I need to consider? Can I leave my old HDD in the PC as well, for data backup/storage?

Here's what I have:

Linux Mint 16 Mate Petra
AMD dual core processor 2.7gig x2
Western Digital WDC WD3200AAKS-00L9A0 (01.03E01)
MSI mother board model MS-7390

If someone needs more info, let me know and I'll be happy to find what I can- and thanks in advance!

I went from a 500GB HD to a 256GB SSD as I was no were close to 256GB used on the 500GB. And I have a RAID external HD setup.

Look on the HOW TO GEEK website for info on various SSDs.

I run Win 7 and went through the conversion, but ran into too many issues and just reinstalled Win 7 on the SSD.

Remember to turn off any scheduled defrag.

My current HDD is 320gig and I'm at around 1/2 full I think. I was thinking about a 256gig SSD and using the 320 for storage? Is there a speed penalty for going larger, or just a pocketbook penalty?

Originally Posted By: Donald
I went from a 500GB HD to a 256GB SSD as I was nowhere close to 256GB used on the 500GB. And I have a RAID external HD setup.

Look on the HOW TO GEEK website for info on various SSDs.

I run Win 7 and went through the conversion, but ran into too many issues and just reinstalled Win 7 on the SSD.

Remember to turn off any scheduled defrag.

My only reservation is my PC is old by today's standards and I am not savvy enough anymore to sift through what is new/old and will be compatible and what won't. I had Cyberpower PC build it to my specs probably 6 years ago using some of the older tech to achieve a PC that would meet my needs (and then some) on a budget.

As for installs and defrags, that is the one area I don't think I'll have troubles. Running Linux, there is no defrag to speak of and installing it is as easy as can be.

Crucial M500
Amazon's prices are usually the best.
Buy based on the capacity you need.
Keep in mind, you could buy a cheaper HDD that's a TB or 2 to keep the big files.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: The_Eric
My current HDD is 320gig and I'm at around 1/2 full I think. I was thinking about a 256gig SSD and using the 320 for storage? Is there a speed penalty for going larger, or just a pocketbook penalty?

Sounds fine: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167175

Your motherboard has a SATA II interface, so that'll actually be the limiting factor on speed.

The SSD you recommended is a SATA III, will that connect with my SATA II motherboard?

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

Sounds fine: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167175

Your motherboard has a SATA II interface, so that'll actually be the limiting factor on speed.

The SSD you recommended is a SATA III, will that connect with my SATA II motherboard?

Another question: I was reading reviews on the SSD you linked and saw that it's an OEM unit, so no adapters or tray. Can I find the requisite hardware to bolt it in to my tower?

SATA is backwards compatible, so you'll be fine. As for mounting, adapter trays are available, but I'd be just as inclined to use some velcro/double-sided tape and put it wherever.

Thank you for your input guys!

Looks like I'll give that Intel drive a shot.

Is there any functional difference between SSD's

Either Intel or Crucial. I have 2 Crucial M4s and 2 Crucial M500s, and they've all been rock solid and perfect since I got them. The only real functional difference between GOOD SSDs is garbage collection, which is handled on the backend so you don't hear about it.

Newegg has the intel 240gb kit for $170 and amazon has it for $160, the kit comes with cable and adapter bracket.

Intel and Crucial both make great drives. Samsung does as well and they are usually at the top of the list performance wise in the shoot outs. I'm running 830s, 840 Pros and 840 Evos and they all perform flawlessly. The included Magician software is very useful as well.

Desktop kit 250gb for $170: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147253

Just the drive for $155: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=998575&Q=&is=REG&A=details

You can't go wrong with any of those brands.

Last edited:
IME, Samsung MLC NAND drives are the best consumer drives, in terms of performance, data retention (cycles), quality, and pricing.
I have quite a few, and the 830 is still one of my absolute favorite drives. The oldest, most used one is a 256GB 830 that has been used for HW RAID (HDD) NAND caching and acceleration of random IOPS in a server (LSI PCIe3.0 x8 link card, 16i SAS3, 4GB DDR3 + BBU/NAND-BU; 2 arrays of 8x3TB).
It has had a total of 932.55GB written in the past year and a few months. Zero reallocated sectors, zero failed blocks, zero failed anything.

The Second best drives in my experience (moderate scale deployment) have been Plextor M5P-Xtreme.

The, Crucial - last forever, but mediocre performance.

Originally Posted By: nleksan
IME, Samsung MLC NAND drives are the best consumer drives, in terms of performance, data retention (cycles), quality, and pricing.
I have quite a few, and the 830 is still one of my absolute favorite drives. The oldest, most used one is a 256GB 830 that has been used for HW RAID (HDD) NAND caching and acceleration of random IOPS in a server (LSI PCIe3.0 x8 link card, 16i SAS3, 4GB DDR3 + BBU/NAND-BU; 2 arrays of 8x3TB).
It has had a total of 932.55GB written in the past year and a few months. Zero reallocated sectors, zero failed blocks, zero failed anything.

The Second best drives in my experience (moderate scale deployment) have been Plextor M5P-Xtreme.

The, Crucial - last forever, but mediocre performance.

Not anymore. Problem is Samsung went to TLC. Which I'd never buy. I want a drive that will last, and I just don't feel like I'm getting my value out of a TLC drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back