Help me pick my next car, Nissan or Ford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sentra, Corrolla, Civic are all not safe cars, one has to pay the green for safety. My wife and I totalled our 03 Altima after being rear ended, other party was doing 110 mph, we were just accelerating to about 50 mph at impact. The police collision investigator told us the Altima saved our lives in its design, when we walked away shook up he told us an impact like that would have produced two body bags on most other vehicles.

There are a lots of Sentra's up here going long reliable life spans in extreme conditions, they are proven here, father just bought one over a year ago, 150K, 42 mpg Canadian gallon, cant hear it run, burns no oil, no problems, there is road noise as in most these cars in this class, the low profile tires dont help. Our 03 Altima was quiet and smooth. As I said, gotta show the green in purchase of any car whether Import or Domestic for safety, quiet etc. There is a lot of car around you in an Altima/X-Trail compared to Sentra, Corrolla, Civic etc in that particular class.

Cyprs

Of course, each person, or family has to make their own decision on car buying.

After I had been in VWs for many years I bought a new Sentra in '93. We drove it for 200,000 trouble free miles. In the meantime we got a '93 Sentra. I'm still using it at 93,000 trouble free miles. My wife is driving an '02 Sentra that had a head gasket replaced under warranty. Our experience with these cars has been very good except for the head gasket problem. But, that was fixed and we are motoring on.......

I'm driving the '99 and when I take long trips I enjoy the 36+ MPG I'm getting with it.

Again, each must make his/her own choice.

quote:

Musta been the 200HP Duratec one. The 140HP Vulcan one isn't quite so fast.

The SHO engine was manufactured by Yamaha for Ford using some Vulcan components.

Found this from NG's:

The V6 is all Yamaha. Ford originally approached Yamaha in 1985 to make a set
of heads for the Vulcan (much the same way GM has adapted DOHC heads to make
its 3.4l V6). The engine was originally slated for a car known as the GN34
which was to be a mid-engined 2 seater designed to take on the Corvette. Ford
wanted the engine to make 300 hp for this configuration. Yamaha told Ford that
the Vulcan couldn't make that kind of power and submitted its own design,
constrained only by Ford's bore and stroke measurements. The design is loosely
based on Yamaha's wonderful F1 engines. That engine became the SHOgun and
shares only a few very minor components with the Vulcan. The bean counters
eventually killed the GN34 and the engine (detuned to 220 hp) was dropped into
the Taurus instead.

The engine benefits from Yamaha's thin-wall casting technology, which makes the
360 degree cooling jackets and the single crystal pistons possible. It is hand
built, basically, and has some of the tightest tolerances I've ever seen on a
fairly large production engine. The design of the main bearing journals and
girdle, along with the forged crank and connecting rods, makes the lower end of
the engine capable of handling around 700 hp stock. The manifold won't breath
for that kind of power, and the valve gear isn't up to it either, but the fact
that the engine can handle it bodes well for reliability. With stiffer valve
springs, the engine can spin to nearly 10,000 rpms (and can go to 8500 for
extended periods bone stock) without risk of damage.

The SHO V8's block is an aluminum Cosworth casting done by Ford. The heads are
still Yamaha, and Yamaha blueprints and assembles the V8 engines.

LOL I've like the styling of the Altima since it's redesign in '02. The Sentra seems right for the price. I am leaning towards something a bit larger, though.

Looking over at Honda's site, the offer a Value Edition of the Accord that has ABS brakes--something needed around here for quick stopping on the fast-moving expressways. For about $19K with a 5speed manual. Looks tempting for that price...

The 500 SE is still in #1 position so far. I'll probably change my mind by the time I fork over the $$$.
wink.gif

quote:

The HVAC controls and the stereo are integrated on the Mazda 6. I would not buy a Mazda 6 for that reason alone. They are separate on the Ford Fusion, so you at least have the option to replace it with something else if in 5-10 years the CD player/changer craps out.

Aaaaarrrrrgggghhhhh! Why do they do things like this? Did Mazda hire some GM engineers that got laid off?

Looks like they're doing this on the 3 now too. I'm glad I got mine before that happened.

I haven't seen any GM vehicles with integrated HVAC and stereo controls. In fact, it seems like GM uses the same radio in multiple vehicle lines (Ford does the same).

Honda decided to integrate the radio with the dash on the new Civic, but they've also done that in the Acura too.

Toyotansaturn,

is Nissan in your list because they are moving their headquarters to the Nashville area?
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back