Help me pick an oil in my stash!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

It's been a while!
I am getting ready to change the oil on my Colt, Barchetta, and Marea TD (cf sig).
I've recently bought for a really really low price some various oils, and today I looked into it to find something to put in my cars!

What i have in my stash now:

- Ipone R4000 RS 10W40 (1L) (motorcycle oil...was given by my FIL)
- Total Quartz racing 10W60 (1L)
- Shell Helix ultra racing 10W60 (2L)
- Total Quartz 9000 0W30 (1L)
- Total Quartz 9000 energy 5W40 (2L)
- Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 (2L)
- Valvoline VR1 5W50 (4L)
- Selenia Touring 5W50 (4L)
- Selenia Gold 10W40 (4L)
- Motul 4000 15W50 (4L)
- Yacco galaxie RS 15W50 (4L)

I need 3L for the Colt, and a bit more than 4L for the Marea and the Barchetta. What do you think I could use from my stash? Or, if nothing fits, I could still buy my usual oils.

Selenia Gold could fit perfectly one of the Fiat, but it's in rusty and dusty jugs, not sure how old it is...and what it's worth.

thanks!

What would help is knowing where you are located...or the weather where you are is like, winter is coming up which may or may not be a concern for you!

Oh you're right
smile.gif

I'm in Brittany, which means the upcoming winter will bring temperatures around 0°C, usually not much colder!

Mix it all together to make one mega FrankenBrew, then put it in everything.

Even 20W50 can handle a 0 C cold start, so none of the above should be a problem.

You're right, I'm overthinking. Well, I'll put what comes in 4L first!

Quick question, Motul 4000 15W50 is stated as mineral, with a somewhat low flash point. Is it ok in a turbocharged engine? It's MB 229.1 certified
laugh.gif

Wont be a problem unless you thrash to a glowing turbo then just shut it off and walk away (multiple times and more problematic on non-watercooled turbos.) But that's true of every oil
wink.gif
Oil coking in turbos is fun for the whole family
smile.gif

That's quite a mix you have there. try to rationalise to 2 or 3 products that meet your requirements. having 1L bottles of random oils just doesn't make sense.

Regards
Jordan

Since all motor oils are compatible, you could (as has been suggested) create a witches brew of all the 1L bottles. It'll have characteristics between the heaviest and lightest oils used. And a simple blend of all the various additives. If you're really keen create the brew, take a sample and send it to get tested to see what properties it has. I guarantee that it'll be 100% usable (serious) as each individual oil is fully formulated and not lacking in additives.

Regards
Jordan

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back