Help me pick a oil for equinox

Status
Not open for further replies.
So just got a equinox not to long ago “in sig”. Wife took it ok 1100 mile round trip. When she got back its almost off the stick. So im guessing its a qt a 1k type of motor. Seen these are hard on oil being d.i.. has 108k miles. Changed plugs. Added 1 32oz techron to tank before trip. Would like to cut down on oil usage. Unsure if i want to continue to use pp5w30 or try t6 5w40. Was planning on doing a intake cleaning soon “aerosol in intake” to see if i can maybe do some light valve cleaning. What do you guys think? What else should i try before going to 5w40. Has no warranty. Vin Does not fall under the tsb for high oil consumption even though it does consume oil. Also dont say pcv, this doesnt have one!

Does this engine have a LAF or LEA (E85) RPO code?

You might want to look into an ACEA A3/B4 or C3/C4 oil, Mobil 1 5W-30 ESP would be a good candidate for this application before moving to a 40 weight.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Does this engine have a LAF or LEA (E85) RPO code?

You might want to look into an ACEA A3/B4 or C3/C4 oil, Mobil 1 5W-30 ESP would be a good candidate for this application before moving to a 40 weight.
lea

You'll most likely want a dexos rating. 5w30 synthetic of your pick would be fine as long as it has the dexos rating. Valvoline Durablend which is a synthetic blend has the dexos rating, good oil.

A very dirty air filter can cause increased oil consumption. If this is the case, oil will be drawn into the intake upstream of the throttle body. Check to see if the throttle plate is covered in oil.

My wife has a '11 Equinox that eats oil also. I posted that on here a while ago and had several posts where people wanted proof that it's a common problem with the 4 cyl engine. ours had 35 k on it when we got it. I ran 2 oci's with Napa full synthetic oil in it and it used almost 2 1/2 qts per oci. Went by the oil life monitor which I believe is just a 5k timer set to get you to change your oil.You should be able to go more then 5k on full synthetic oil these days. Last change I put 10/30 Mobil 1 ext performance in it the 15k mile stuff, that didn't have the "Dexos" marking on the label. Being you can't find anything that tells you what that does to your oil, except that Chevy requires it, and charges oil companies for the privilege of having it on their labels. It certainly doesn't help with oil consumption. I hope the factory oil filter cartridge actually does something useful as far as filtering. I would pay extra to be able to used a screw on type filter, but that ain't gonna happen with that motor. I'm goin to run this oil to 10 k before changing it, and keep a record of how much oil it uses with 10/30 over 5/30 wt.,,,

Last edited:
Just got back from a family Road trip / vacation from Austin TX to Los Angeles CA which lasted a full 9 days / 3500 miles of hard driving in stop and go city driving as well as driving through extreme 119 degree heat in the Arizona desert.... We drove my wife's 2018 Chevy Trax ( basically a baby Equinox ) ... Just prior to our trip I did an oil change using PEAK Full Synthetic 5W30 oil ( Dexos Approved ) and a 15,000 Mile STP Maximum Life Oil Filter .... Upon returning to Austin after all that driving, the engine was still full but the oil had become a bit dark, almost black ... so far so good I guess...

Last edited:
I noticed that the oil in my wife's car was pretty black when I changed it also. Mine is a '11. I bet Chevy has made some changes to get the consumption issue resolved. I've read there was a service bulletin issued with test procedures to tell if and what was causing it, but that was for older models like mine and the other posters.,,,

Originally Posted By: Dylan1303
So just got a equinox not to long ago “in sig”. Wife took it ok 1100 mile round trip. When she got back its almost off the stick. So im guessing its a qt a 1k type of motor. Seen these are hard on oil being d.i.. has 108k miles. Changed plugs. Added 1 32oz techron to tank before trip. Would like to cut down on oil usage. Unsure if i want to continue to use pp5w30 or try t6 5w40. Was planning on doing a intake cleaning soon “aerosol in intake” to see if i can maybe do some light valve cleaning. What do you guys think? What else should i try before going to 5w40. Has no warranty. Vin Does not fall under the tsb for high oil consumption even though it does consume oil. Also dont say pcv, this doesnt have one!

5w40 is too drastic. Try as nice 10w30 spring through fall. Ive had severe oil usage issues with Pennzoil Plat products. I would think QSUD would be the same but NIMO.

If the engine was run conservatively most of those miles with VM laden oil the rings will be gummed in .

I would have done a kero soak while the pugs were out.

I do the maintence and oil changes on a 13 equinox with the 2.4.

Currently it has 47000 miles and I checked the oil its at 60% oil life and was on the 3rd notch on the dipstick (1/4 from top mark)

IIRC the oil life monitor usually goes between 8-10k miles in the summer so this should be somewhere around 3200-4000 miles and .25qt usage.

It doesnt require a syn oil but I usually use PP 5w30 in it.. unless I have something else suitable in the oil stash.(it got m1 once and PUP once.)

I've heard those tend to use oil. Just use whatever Dexos 5w-30 you can get cheapest and keep an eye on the oil level.

Our '11 2.4L Equinox started using oil at an early age. Found out from the dealer that Chevy issued an extended warranty on the engine for that problem; out to well over 100K miles. Did an oil consumption run through the dealer where they add oil when needed until they determined that it was using 1 Qt. at <2000 miles. In the end, it used a Qt. in 800 miles. They were convinced. Replaced the pistons and rings. Have not had any oil usage since the repair. So, talk to your dealer. May get it fixed for free.

Originally Posted By: vwalburn
Just noticed that it did not qualify for TSB. At what point did it stop?
the tsb said 11-14 models but its vin specific. So my guess is 15 it got fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back