2015 2.4 Equinox oil choice for possible fuel dilution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friends car which I have posted about before, 2015 Equinox with the 2.4 Ecotec sitting at around 42k miles. I'll be changing the oil tomorrow with some Napa syn 5W30 I got on sale and a Fram Ultra. I have never had a UOA done to see if fuel dilution is an issue, but would it be ok to substitute one quart of the 5W30 for a quart of M1 15W50? I read about people doing this to make the oil a thick 30 weight. Any negatives to doing this? She recently bought a house about 15 miles away from her workplace as compared to 3/4 of a mile before, so short trips are less frequent in the morning/afternoon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fuel dilution? The choice is the one you can afford to change often.

2012 Nox 2.4 wife short tripped it bad. I started changed the oil at 3000 miles.....and it was totally black. I know, I know.....color doesn't matter. It does to me. It was coffee black and smelled "kinda" like gasoline. I backed up the oil changes to 2000 to 2500 when we didn't go on trips. Only on trips to Florida, Texas and Oklahoma did the oil stay transparent on the dipstick.

In my Kia (which is GDI) I change my oil every 3-4 months regardless of the mileage.
I do lots of short trips every day, the oil comes out of ink black color and smells gasoline, so I've decided for myself it's a cheap insurance to change more often.
Basically any brand will do at such short OCIs, I'm trying Magnatec right now which has a low NOACK and showed great results in other DI engines.
I wouldn't mix viscosities, if you want to be on the thicker side use QSUD but Napa oil will do its job just as well

Last edited:
Mixing oils (especially across brands) is like a box of chocolates..... Gump was right about that. Not sure if there isn't some chemical compatability problem. Best not to mess with something the white-coats with PhD's have concocted. If fuel dilution is suspected, just switch to Mobil1 0w40 or Castrol 0w40 cheap at walmart. Its only a little thicker than 5w30, not much, and will offer some margin if fuel dilution is suspected.

Originally Posted by mobilaltima
Friends car which I have posted about before, 2015 Equinox with the 2.4 Ecotec sitting at around 42k miles. I'll be changing the oil tomorrow with some Napa syn 5W30 I got on sale and a Fram Ultra. I have never had a UOA done to see if fuel dilution is an issue, but would it be ok to substitute one quart of the 5W30 for a quart of M1 15W50? I read about people doing this to make the oil a thick 30 weight. Any negatives to doing this? She recently bought a house about 15 miles away from her workplace as compared to 3/4 of a mile before, so short trips are less frequent in the morning/afternoon.

There are NO negatives to doing this. I've done numerous times with my Colorado and it runs like brand new after 15 years now.

A slightly thicker oil blend in these engines is a good idea. Fuel dilution can thin the oil, and then it doesn't protect the timing chain as well, and the chain wears rapidly.

These engines are known for oil consumption and TC failures if the oil get thin and dirty. In this engine your plan is sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back