Help me pick a good "date car" to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey the new Colorado is a sharp looking truck, I wasn't aware GM re-styled it until I looked just now, thanks for that. I mean really sharp. My dad had a 2011, it was his last vehicle, he even said "This'll probably be the last truck I have" when we were at the dealership. Late 2013 when I was selling if for him after he had to move into assisted living, the fellow who bought, also 85 same age my dad was when he got it, said the exact same thing, lol! It was perfect for dad, but I always felt the big four banger while torquey as heck really vibrated a lot and overall didn't feel real refined, although it was in a truck so not as big of a deal as if it'd been in a passenger car.

Fair chance I may check out examples of the 2015 at a few dealers here coming up. 4x4 of course. Thanks for the heads up on them.

I actually have my Forester, however, because of having owned a 2007 HHR which the 4T45E auto trans had an intermittent problem that couldn't be replicated and no codes, and while the svc mgr's hands were tied by regional, the regional or whatever pretty much told me to go pound sand in so many words. So I went looking for some other fuel efficient compact wagon type vehicle and discovered the Forester. Killer deal since it was a plain Jane base model stick shift they'd had on their lot too long and they were a multi line operation selling both Chevrolet and Subaru so I got decent trade on the HHR and it was a done deal. Right after that two things happened: GM's fiscal woes broke loose and Uncle Sam had to bail them out, and a year later a TSB was issued on a solenoid in the 4T45E for an issue that sounded a lot like what mine was doing. I loved the HHR, until the trans acted up.

A moderately dressed up RAM with some chrome, 2 tone paint, has some style without a pretentious badge.
2015-Dodge-Ram-1500-Pictures.jpg

I haven't read the whole that, only seen the title, but what does your car have to do with it?
If she likes you she doesn't care what you drive, and if she cares what you drive you're dating the wrong chick.
I'm glad I'm dating an English woman, American women sound devilishly picky based on this thread...

Last edited:
I think the thread is tongue in cheek. Although I think it has some merit. I mean, if you went out on a date and they smelled funny, had mismatched socks, or made rude noises you'd probably run. If your date picked you up in a car that did similar, well, a car may very well have little to do with how a person is: but first impressions are first impressions.

I wouldn't lose sleep over one's car. But I could see giving it a pinch of thought. Just like everything else.

Last time I went "dating" I did nothing out of the ordinary. After a few relationships that went south I keyed into the fact that so much of dating is fakery, a presentation of one's best side, which leads to dissapppointment when the other person turns out to be human.

But that was back when I was in college, and surrounded by women.

Drive what you want. No woman worth your time is going to split hairs over your choice of vehicle. At worst, it could be a topic of discussion if you run out of other things to talk about.

Whatever car you like as long as there is seat warmer in it.

As soon as she sits in the car, put it in full blast without telling her.

And yes, you can thank me later
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
A moderately dressed up RAM with some chrome, 2 tone paint, has some style without a pretentious badge.
2015-Dodge-Ram-1500-Pictures.jpg

The problem with Ram is that they can have pretty low payloads. So that means you are limited to dating skinny girls which really reduces the number of potentials
smile.gif

I think you will find that you can buy the next car.... and nothing will change--- and then you might feel the sting of stupid tax.

I've read where women do at times notice the car, but most don't care unless it really sticks out in one way or another.

The car serves more of a purpose of your own feeling about your own self image.

You've been through a rough couple of years.

If you have memories associated wth the old 'Ru, and you'd like to purge the past and start to put it all together again, sure--- clean house, redo the living room, trade the car. Start fresh. But don't do it out of the guise of "new man jewelry." you'll be healthier for it.

Conservative vehicles that tend to not cause any problems--- normal trucks. older jeep cherokee, grand cherokee. normal sedans--- accord, taurus,... I think well-kept luxury sedans ~10 years old, such as volvo S60/80, lxus 430, make a comfortable and conservative statement. OR WHAT YOU HAVE NOW. you've had it for a while, you're good with it. no big deal, don't need new, stable, don't tend to buy/trade/change your mind much--- = makes good decisions the first time. All plays.

food for thought, anyway.

Get anything else!

My parent have a 1998 Forester that is beyond reliable but looks so frumpy and is so awful to ride around in. Even the interior has this putrid pinkish/grey upholstery. Your car leaves a tiny bit of impression when showing up. Sort of like a shirt with small coffee stain. A forester is the worst thing IMHO to show up in.

I was lucky in my dating years. I had a 323i (with manual!) convertible company car that seemed to be favorable. This chick who I replaced in .com era picked it. My personal car was a 10 year old white civic coupe.

Whatever you get -- and I'm glad somebody mentioned a Buick Regal -- make sure it's clean and smells okay inside. She might not care about the car per se, and she shouldn't, but the impression left by a dirty car or one that smells of mud or dirt or mold, that would be hard to get past.

Is there a single contributor born as female who would be responding to this thread?

I think not! Asking bunch of oil guys about what women like in cars is exercise in futility.

As others have already said, I wouldn't worry about buying some car to impress women as long as it's not a total beater. Even relatively cheap cars can look pretty sharp when they're washed and vacuumed.

My recommendation would be a 2007+ Infiniti G35/G37 sedan with the 6-Speed manual. This is exactly what I have, and it fits my needs wonderfully, it sounds like it's also the perfect car for you! They are a luxurious sporty car. Not very flashy, but the interior looks, good, and with 300+ horsepower, a manual transmission and rear wheel drive, they a blast to drive! It makes a great car for taking up town on a first date. Once you find a gal, that you like, you can take her to the track, and really give her an experience of lifetime! I find my G35 to be a really fun car to drive around the track.

Anyone who has driven my car, has always come away impressed. In fact I just recently had a good buddy, buy the exact twin to my car, for himself.

They are a hard sedan to find with a manual, but they are out there. Grab one now, since they are no longer available from the factory with a manual. Cars like that are a dying breed!

If its nice out, pick her up on your Ducati MTS !
shocked2.gif

Girls like bikes, it's already in your character and stable, it is who you are and a Ducati is as exotic as it gets!

Keep the Sube if you want....but....if you really are wanting to get another vehicle mid 1990s or mid 2000s Chev truck. I don't know any girls of any age (except geriatric) that don't like a good truck with muffler that gives a slight growl...for some reason it just gets them going...
hooked.gif

Plus...nearly anything is possible in a truck. Bench seat...oh yeah.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
lamest thread on bitog

No way. I am lovin' this thread.

There is one bad feature about my Forester that has been a common complaint among owners. Model yrs 09 and 10 the passenger seat sits pretty low to the floor and there's no height adjustment on the non-turbo cars unless they have the top tier Limited package which I think included passenger seat height and lumbar and other articulating functions... maybe. Anyone less than about 5'4" tends to feel like a little kid craning their neck to see over the dash. Wife was 5'2", was her only complaint about it.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Anyone less than about 5'4" tends to feel like a little kid craning their neck to see over the dash.

Get a booster seat.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Anyone less than about 5'4" tends to feel like a little kid craning their neck to see over the dash.

Get a booster seat.
smile.gif

Get detained by police.

A stylish big Jag will always turn a woman's head.

But for dating, I'd say something that is comfortable on the inside, quiet, and easy for her to get in and out of, would be the ticket.

Most near luxury / luxury sedans will likely do fine, except maybe for quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back