Help me pick a good "date car" to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Or a 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP. Unassuming but nice exterior hiding 400+ HP and ft-lb of torque. You should be able to get one with relatively low miles for $20k or so. But maybe I'm just projecting my dream car onto you.

I'm afraid you are dreaming, or the market is way different where you live.

A month ago, I had someone come in off the street and offer me $20K for my sixer.

Which I turned down.

But the G8 is a nice car, they're comfortable, reasonably stylish, easy to get in and out of, drive well, but leave a little to be desired on the quiet side. Plus, they're getting old now.

Somewhere a woman is wondering just as long and hard what shoes to wear for her first date. Will you notice?

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Somewhere a woman is wondering just as long and hard what shoes to wear for her first date. Will you notice?

"Am I FAT? will he say I'm FAT???"

Get an extended cab pickup with an automatic transmission. Most women like trucks. Make sure that it has a BENCH seat in the front (fold-down arm rest), not one with a center console. Get it with 4WD and you can use it as daily transportation in the winter, just don't get a truck that is all jacked up in the air and hard to get in an out of.
When you take a woman out, make sure that the arm rest is in the UP position. Most women, if they like you, will move over to the center next to you. If she does this you are "in like flint"
wink.gif

Also, I forgot to mention, trucks are unpretentious (unless it is a monster truck). Most women prefer men that are unpretentious.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Get anything else!

My parent have a 1998 Forester that is beyond reliable but looks so frumpy and is so awful to ride around in. Even the interior has this putrid pinkish/grey upholstery. Your car leaves a tiny bit of impression when showing up. Sort of like a shirt with small coffee stain. A forester is the worst thing IMHO to show up in.

I was lucky in my dating years. I had a 323i (with manual!) convertible company car that seemed to be favorable. This chick who I replaced in .com era picked it. My personal car was a 10 year old white civic coupe.

There was a re-design in 09, they don't look quite as frumpy, actually look more vanilla i.e. harder to tell if its a Forester or a Rav4 or a Kia at passing glance. Here's mine:

1_IMG_3591.JPG

1_IMG_2866.JPG

1_IMG_3754.JPG

Put some DUB's on the Subaru then it's all good. No seriously, all you guys that say what does the car have to do with it have probably been married 20 years. The car has a lot to do with it, I was never able to get a girl to the movie theater on my bike. I tried and tried but never worked for me. It wasn't until the coolest 1976 Ford LTD 2 door, red with a white landau top and white interior rolled up with sub's bumping in the trunk off my Jensen power booster did I finally start to score. So yea, the car has a lot to do with it. Back seat was huge in that car a big plus too:)

Originally Posted By: rodinator1234
Put some DUB's on the Subaru then it's all good. No seriously, all you guys that say what does the car have to do with it have probably been married 20 years. The car has a lot to do with it, I was never able to get a girl to the movie theater on my bike. I tried and tried but never worked for me. It wasn't until the coolest 1976 Ford LTD 2 door, red with a white landau top and white interior rolled up with sub's bumping in the trunk off my Jensen power booster did I finally start to score. So yea, the car has a lot to do with it. Back seat was huge in that car a big plus too:)

Yet another reason why I recommended a pickup, they have VERY roomy and comfortable front seats! Plus, they can be VERY good looking when they are equipped with certain packages and options (like 20" wheels, chrome nerfs, chrome trim package, etc).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Get a VW Beetle, chicks love em'!
wink.gif

Just get a TDI
cool.gif

Yea chicks do love Beetle's.

Yep. Chicks love Beetles... to own and drive themselves!
Whenever I see a man driving one (NOT a classic Beetle) I think that he is a little "off".
On the other hand, pickups are much more masculine form of transportation.

Last edited:
No seriously, all you guys that say what does the car have to do with it have probably been married 20 years. The car has a lot to do with it

Hmm, well, only been 12 years now. But lemme think... first time I gave my to-be wife (before we were dating) a ride was in my S10, which was probably 16 years old and looked like it had spent 20 years in salty Maine. Driver's door didn't close (cab settling), and not a single undented body panel. And only a hint of exhaust. Later I'm sure I used the old Astrovan (which was in vastly better shape despite being more than a decade old--GM, you had it figured out!). Later, when we finally were dating, I had a plain-Jane Saturn SL (albeit new). Manual steering--and I taught her how to drive stickshift with that car to boot.

You only go around once, if you want a new ride and have the money go for it.

Some very fun cars you can get for $26K.
1. Acura NSX, shop carefully!
2. Jag XJS V12.
3. Older air cooled 911
4. Mercedes SL500/600
5. BMW 6 series
6. BMW 840/50I

Last edited:
I should probably point out that I am neither a girl or in the dating pool, so it is likely I'm the last person (tied for last with most of BITOG) you should be getting advice from on the proper conveyance to pick up a female in for a date. As well I'm sorry for the loss of your wife - I can't even fathom that.

Ok here we go:

The Subie does not seem to me that it would present a bad impression, It looks nice and it is clean. Unless it lacks some basic item like air conditioning or has manual windows, I suspect most ladies I know would not know (or care) it is a "base model" and the ones that would know might consider it a plus.

The radio deficiency could probably be addressed using somewhere like http://www.crutchfield.com.

It strikes me reading your post that perhaps you want a different vehicle for other reasons as well.

I've spend some time in the "midwest" and I see plenty of ladies driving pickup trucks, I don't imagine it would be a negative for most women. That would seem to be one of the better options for replacing the Subie while maintaining some utility. Even though Subaru's are not known for fuel economy, I suspect you'll take a hit there, even with a newer truck. All of the big three make nice trucks (King Ranch, Lariat, LTZ, Laramie and so forth) pick the one you like. (Me - Ford)

Sedans have can have utility too, particularly if you're willing to pull a small trailer. I've carried mulch and much more in the trunk of the Acura. With a fold down rear seat or pass through you can fit longer things, as long as they aren't dirty it is fine. A higher trim Accord seems like a good practical nice car that a lady would like and that is likely to not cost a ton of money to maintain like an older luxury car.

I'm not really a mopar guy, but I don't see anything at all wrong with the idea of a 300 though a Charger or Challenger would be more my speed.

I'm not really sure that was helpful, maybe there is something in there for you.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger

There was a re-design in 09, they don't look quite as frumpy, actually look more vanilla i.e. harder to tell if its a Forester or a Rav4 or a Kia at passing glance. Here's mine:

Agreed looks like everything else(blends) and works.

You guys need to look up... 2008 forester sti. Very cool

As a side note, I drove a 3rd gen camaro with 400km on the clock in university.(2003-2007) The rest of the parking lot looked like a car show. It's not about the car you drive...

Dating my wife, I had a Fairmont wagon, my uncle's F250, or my grandmother's Chrysler wagon. She had (still does!) a Buick Grand National. If she won't date you because of your car, that saves LOTS of trouble later on.

[censored] is with this thread.

A 'first' date / meeting in 2014 is going to be at a public place - coffee or drinks, anyways. Usually women don't like letting a stranger they met online know where they live.

This thread is quite outdated. A "date" car LOL

Originally Posted By: Bamaro
600VanInterior.jpg

It took forever for someone to suggest this one. With the somewhat humorous nature of the thread, it was the first thing that popped into my head.

I'd go for the burgundy version with the mystical dragon airbrushed on both sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back