Help me Negotiate 2021 Mazda CX-5

Before I sell a vehicle, I ascertain what it is worth.
I use the available sources to do this (KBB, NADA, Edmunds, etc.) to get a range of values.
I might even go through the Carmax (or similar) process or drive by a couple of dealers to get some additional input.
However, at the end of the day, I'm going to get my price out of the vehicle (or it's not going anywhere.)
That's not to say that there isn't some flex (I generally build some into my asking.)
I'll listen to a serious offer.
However, It is not incumbent upon me to finance someone else's dreams.
Nice things cost nice money. If they don't want to pay what the going rate is, I'll find someone who will.
However, I don't see the play here. Walk up on someone, deliver them a low ball number, then tell them that a car buying service will pay them 2K more for it. If that's the case, why waste the time talking to him/her?
Perhaps I should be thankful that someone is "Tossing me a bone," and I should drop to my knees and plead hysterically for them to purchase my car at a huge discount.
Not happening. In buying or selling, I am willing to shop or wait until I can achieve the target price (or extremely close to it.)
I got your point the first time, however, this is a message board, not an in person discussion. Tonality, emotion, body language, all of that is lost when writing to people you don't know. My intentions were to give the buyer a leg to stand on. For the buyer to get his money fast, he might need to take a lower offer. Sure, nice things cost money, but we're talking about a Mazda here. Even in this day and age of everything out of control, Mazdas don't sell all that well. Our dealer in Winston Salem has plenty on the lot, and they're ritting away. On the flip side, when I got my Durango, the FCA dealer had about 30 of them on the lot. I got it on a Thursday, they were all sold out by next Friday. Had I waited another couple of days, I might not even gotten the $3K off sticker that I got. It's all about opportunity and that personal touch, and about having a tactful conversation with the seller.

This whole thread makes no sense and the OP is making a lot of assumptions that probably aren't true. Some basics are true, the seller determines the sale price. The buyer makes the offer. Somehow the buyer thinks that there's some leverage that he can use against the seller, but because he doesn't know anything about the seller, he's just making assumptions and one of them is that he's motivated to sell. Lots of times the whole reason to sell private party is to get top dollar and that top dollar will include getting more than what dealers or online car buying sites offer. Maybe he'll get lucky and score a great deal, but I doubt it.

the two vehicles I sold to Carvana were very simple and quick transactions...we have a Carvana near me and the first sale, the money was electronically (my preference) transferred to my account before I left the location...the second was a lot more money and my bank showed the funds within a couple days...

I have read of Carvana issues when buying but hadn't read any about selling...good luck with your choice

Bill

Private party sale that is asking $28,000 for a 2021 Mazda CX-5 Sport with 9,500 miles. Story is that selling for daughter that went overseas. Asking seems a bit high. I was thinking somewhere about $22,000 would be a fair offer. Thoughts?
25% less than asking you can definitely try instead of asking us but it maybe your last interaction and you’ll know. Curious why think $22k is a fair offer and what basis?

25% less than asking you can definitely try instead of asking us but it maybe your last interaction and you’ll know. Curious why think $22k is a fair offer and what basis?
You, and others here make excellent points. Negociating a deal is an art in itself. Personally, if the other party makes it clear that they don't want to negociate, I walk away. If they pretend like they want to negociate just to try and get me involved, and then they don't, I walk away. I prefer selling to a dealer than to a private party because there is less hassle involved.

A successful negociation leaves both parties slightly dissatisfied as neither got everything they wanted. Always keep that in mind.

the two vehicles I sold to Carvana were very simple and quick transactions.
You were very lucky. We don't have a Carvana here, however, I've read about others who had issues with getting paid on time. Not everyone has the same experience, or luck.

I think the OP should just check out the YAA community for some more advice. All we can say is: if you want to pay less, then offer less, and see if the seller is willing to part with his vehicle. Though $22K might be a bit low. With the asking price so high and close to a new vehicle, I would look at a new Mazda or another make. Othetwise, we're probably going in circles at this point.

This whole thread makes no sense and the OP is making a lot of assumptions that probably aren't true. Some basics are true, the seller determines the sale price. The buyer makes the offer. Somehow the buyer thinks that there's some leverage that he can use against the seller, but because he doesn't know anything about the seller, he's just making assumptions and one of them is that he's motivated to sell. Lots of times the whole reason to sell private party is to get top dollar and that top dollar will include getting more than what dealers or online car buying sites offer. Maybe he'll get lucky and score a great deal, but I doubt it.
This.

If I’m selling private, it’s because I have time on my side and can hold out to get the price I think is reasonable.

OP, a 22k offer on a 28k list is unrealistic in my book. I think an offer of $25k would be more appropriate. That being said, if I were you I’d order new as the delta isn’t that great.

How many are available in your area and what are the prices?
What is that vehicle worth to you?
As @Wolf359 posted, the seller sets the price; you or another buyer are free to negotiate but we are in a seller's market.
I would try to not insult him with a stupid offer, but that's just me. Seller can always go to a dealership or Carvana and be done with it.
You might try offering cash or a bank check; sometimes seeing that $$ makes people move...

Good luck.

I listed and sold our 2008 335i coupe on facebook for the price I listed the car at, and the price was a six thousand above KBB.

In my listing, I said I do not negotiate and will only accept the price the BMW was listed at. I had dozens if people making unsolicited offers, telling me my price was higher than KBB, etc. I am not a negotiator. I took the time to list every single relevant fact about the BMW. The BMW was my Wife's car, only serviced by BMW, 33k miles, had every single maintenance record. Never in salt/ snow. Even had BMW put on replacement OEM tires less than 200 miles before listing for sale. This BMW, although 14 years old when sold, was in near new showroom condition.

Some people are negotiators, some are not. Some people just want the car gone. You may have some homework to do on the Seller before deciding how to proceed with an offer.

239028806_348913576771316_8158150853226486475_n.jpg

Private party sale that is asking $28,000 for a 2021 Mazda CX-5 Sport with 9,500 miles. Story is that selling for daughter that went overseas. Asking seems a bit high. I was thinking somewhere about $22,000 would be a fair offer. Thoughts?
Yeah, you can buy a 2022 new for under 28k. Used prices are high. If you absolutely need a car NOW 24K would be a fair offer. That is not a low ball as he is high balling. It's also not his car. Is is pad off and Title in hand and signed? Also run a carfax or call the servicing dealer for service history.

I listed and sold our 2008 335i coupe on facebook for the price I listed the car at, and the price was a six thousand above KBB.

In my listing, I said I do not negotiate and will only accept the price the BMW was listed at. I had dozens if people making unsolicited offers, telling me my price was higher than KBB, etc. I am not a negotiator. I took the time to list every single relevant fact about the BMW. The BMW was my Wife's car, only serviced by BMW, 33k miles, had every single maintenance record. Never in salt/ snow. Even had BMW put on replacement OEM tires less than 200 miles before listing for sale. This BMW, although 14 years old when sold, was in near new showroom condition.

Some people are negotiators, some are not. Some people just want the car gone. You may have some homework to do on the Seller before deciding how to proceed with an offer.

View attachment 106588
That is beautiful .

Back