Help me decide what oil to use in new KTM

Let’s talk oil!

I have a couple hundred miles on the new KTM 790 ADV already. I have two more weeks before I ride down to the tail of the dragon on a small trip. My plan is to get 600mi before then and do it’s first service before I leave on the trip. I’m not paying the dealer $370.00 to do the first service.

This is my first KTM so give me your thoughts.

KTM wants a 10w-50 MA2 oil to be used and Strongly Recommends Motorex. I’m not particularly sold on Motorex, especially given the cost at $22-23 a liter.

From my reading it seems in general KTM shared sumps are pretty hard on the oil and 10w-50 is pretty prone to shear.

I can get the following oils locally in towns I frequent. I can of course order anything online.

In 10w50 grade

Castrol 10w50 Power 1
Yamalube 10w50
Motorex 10w50

In 15w50 grade

Amsoil 15w50 Metric
Spectro 15w50 Platinum 4
Maxima 15w50

In 20w50 grade

M1 V-twin 20w50
Castrol power 1 20w50
Valvoline Synthetic 20w50

Originally my plan was to use the Castrol as its 10w50 and MA2 and will satisfy KTMs “warranty” requirements.

Have also considered using Amsoil 15w50 or even M1 20w50 V- twin as these will likely be more shear stable….maybe and it’s summer time.

Give me your thoughts!

You would have to look long and hard to find a more robust oil than M1 20W-50 VT. Considering KTM's past cam wear issues, that would be the direction I'd go.

And the oil and K&N filter is Available at Walmart or any auto parts store 🤔

I have some local Bike shops that carry the 15w50 Amsoil as well for a good price. Hows the shear resistance on the Amsoil in your studies?

FWIW I plan on doing 3k OCIs with the exception of my planned cross country tour which will likely be 5-6k miles in 1 trip.

I would choose any of the 15/50 Amsoil certainly a good choice.
Forget shear, KTM and all manufacturers know all oils will shear down to a 40 or slightly less. Which is most likely why they select to recommend a 50.
If you ride in hot scorching weather by all means a 20/50 but I dont think I would do that on a new engine, unless we are talking morning temps in the 80s and that is not happening in the mountains of NC and TN

Have a great trip, I never tired of the place.

Out of curiosity, does KTM only call for 10w50 or do they have a typical oil chart in the owners manual showing various weights based on ambient temp range of expected use? As well, how many quarts does the sump hold? Smaller sump will necessarily be harder on oil.

Searching, I found a UOA from 2021 of the Motorex 10w50 from a 1290 Super Duke on "KTM forums".. Holy Boron, 490 ppm.

Personally, I like a closer spread of the oil in weight rating (15w50/20w50 vs 10w5) to reduce shear, all else equal. Sure, KTM knows it will shear but why accept that as the oil starts as a 50 wt. Why not keep it there.

M1 20w50 V Twin and 10w40 4T both stay in grade for 5,000 mile OCI's in my ZRX1200 (3.3 qt sump).

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, does KTM only call for 10w50 or do they have a typical oil chart in the owners manual showing various weights based on ambient temp range of expected use? As well, how many quarts does the sump hold? Smaller sump will necessarily be harder on oil (shear).
It only calls out 10w50 and JASO MA2. No viscosity/temperature chart unfortunately.

I was editing and adding to my post while you were quoting. So are you stuck using a 10w50 then?
going by the book, technically. I doubt my dealer would decline a warranty claim over using a 15w50 in its place however.

I can get Castrol 10w50 Power 1 Synthetic SL Rated MA2 Locally for $11qt so I may just use that and shorter intervals. I can order Motorex online, but I’m not convinced it’s worth $23 a quart…

To answer your previous question sump holds 2.8L or 3 quarts.

Let’s talk oil!

I have a couple hundred miles on the new KTM 790 ADV already. I have two more weeks before I ride down to the tail of the dragon on a small trip. My plan is to get 600mi before then and do it’s first service before I leave on the trip. I’m not paying the dealer $370.00 to do the first service.

This is my first KTM so give me your thoughts.

KTM wants a 10w-50 MA2 oil to be used and Strongly Recommends Motorex. I’m not particularly sold on Motorex, especially given the cost at $22-23 a liter.

From my reading it seems in general KTM shared sumps are pretty hard on the oil and 10w-50 is pretty prone to shear.

I can get the following oils locally in towns I frequent. I can of course order anything online.

In 10w50 grade

Castrol 10w50 Power 1
Yamalube 10w50
Motorex 10w50

In 15w50 grade

Amsoil 15w50 Metric
Spectro 15w50 Platinum 4
Maxima 15w50

In 20w50 grade

M1 V-twin 20w50
Castrol power 1 20w50
Valvoline Synthetic 20w50

Originally my plan was to use the Castrol as its 10w50 and MA2 and will satisfy KTMs “warranty” requirements.

Have also considered using Amsoil 15w50 or even M1 20w50 V- twin as these will likely be more shear stable….maybe and it’s summer time.

Give me your thoughts!
What does the Ma2 requirement get you? Or why is it specified?

Would you consider running Rotella 15w40 in it? I bet it would hold to a 40w and do great at a price low enough to change more frequently. The only reason that might hold you back from using it is warranty coverage. I doubt that would ever become a problem as the oil is very good at those applications and it would have to be an obvious part failure in the engine. It’s also MA2 rated.

Federal law prohibits a manufacturer from requiring the use of a
specific brand in order to maintain warranty coverage. The law is
called the Magnusson-Moss Act that says, in layman’s terms, an OEM
cannot require a consumer to use an OEM part or fluid in order to
maintain warranty coverage unless that part or fluid is provided free
of charge.

I know dealers who threaten to deny warranty claims based on oil choice
but I think they know that in a court of law identifying which oil
brand was used would be difficult to prove beyond a reasonable doubt
because during oil change up to 6.8% is left behind to contaminate the
new oil... the more changes the more mixing...

Last edited:
Federal law prohibits a manufacturer from requiring the use of a
specific brand in order to maintain warranty coverage. The law is
called the Magnusson-Moss Act that says, in layman’s terms, an OEM
cannot require a consumer to use an OEM part or fluid in order to
maintain warranty coverage unless that part or fluid is provided free
of charge.

I know dealers who threaten to deny warranty claims based on oil choice
but I think they know that in a court of law identifying which oil
brand was used would be difficult to prove beyond a reasonable doubt
because during oil change up to 6.8% is left behind to contaminate the
new oil... the more changes the more mixing...
Yes sir,

Non OEM equipment can be used, if you change grades that may depend on your particular dealer if they wanted to be a pain and not warranty an issue. To be honest it’s a 2 year warranty on a motorcycle I’m not that worried about it. I’ll likely ride 15k miles in 2 years and mostly long trips With 99% road use so shouldn’t be too taxing on it.

But I think I’ve narrowed it down to

Castrol power 1 10w50
Or
Amsoil 15w50 Metric

As my top contenders

Yes sir,

Non OEM equipment can be used, if you change grades that may depend on your particular dealer if they wanted to be a pain and not warranty an issue. To be honest it’s a 2 year warranty on a motorcycle I’m not that worried about it. I’ll likely ride 15k miles in 2 years and mostly long trips With 99% road use so shouldn’t be too taxing on it.

Castrol power 1 10w50
Or
Amsoil 15w50 Metric

As my top contenders
Amsoil will likely be more shear resistant.

I run Mobil 1 15w-50 in my 701 (basically a KTM 690) and my wife's 390 Duke.
Have you done an analysis to see how it holds up over an oci? Would be interested to hear about that.

In any case, all else equal, the less spread between the low number and the high number in an oil weight range the better off against shear.

Castrol power 1 10w50 Or Amsoil 15w50 Metric As my top contenders

If you're considering Amsoil you might want to add Mobil 1 because
according to Amsoil Rep Dan Watson in this video Amsoil's base oil is Mobil 1

[video:youtube]

Ive had a KTM 1090 Adventure and a 890 Adventure. Ive used 10w-50 Liquimoly in both and all is well.
Next oil change is going to be with a Liquimoly 15w-50. I anticipate little to no change.

Castrol 10w-50 Powerex made my 1090 shift terrible from day one. I wish Mobil 1 made a 50wt in a motorcycle formula.

Back