Help Me Decide On Tires

AutoMechanic

Site Donor 2024
Hello everyone,

My 2008 Ford Escape will need tires soon. At least front tires as they have 2/32 the rears have 8/32. They were replaced at different times by my aunt. I need something that is a P235/70R16.

I was looking at many different ones online. Trying to decide what ones will be best or if I should keep the same ones as what is on it now. I’d like to go ahead and replace all four and keep the two rear tires as extras.

Currently I’ve got Cooper Evolution on them. This is the first set I will have to put on it. This is the only experience I have with Cooper Tires so that is why I’m asking. So far the tires have been good but I’ve owned it less than a year so don’t know how they do in the long run and we didn’t really have a winter last year so didn’t get to test them in the snow. And with me traveling 30 miles each way to work on mainly country roads I definitely need a good tire for snow in case we do get any.

I also prefer if they have white lettering though it’s not a requirement.

Here is what I’m thinking on and want to hear your thoughts and experiences if you have any.

Cooper Evolution H/T. Same tires as what is on them. A set of four is $544 without the discount I get from work.

Continental Contitrac. Which are the OE tires that it came with from the factory. They do have white lettering as well which puts them higher on the list for me. Reading reviews say they are very noisy but if anyone has experience with them I’d love to hear how they do for you and if they are noisy too. They go for $525.88 without my discount.

Michelin Defender LTX M/S. We have had many sets of these on other vehicles with great luck. They are great tires too. Also the most expensive but I know they last awhile. $732 for a set of four. I also seen a Michelin Premier LTX listed as well which is something I’ll consider as well but I don’t know much about those either.

I’m open to hearing other suggestions as well. I was reading it shows the Bridgestone Dueler is a pretty high rated tire for all seasons but I don’t have any experience with those. Read the same about the General Grabber as well. At work we use ATD for our tires, if it is something I can’t get through them I’m still open to hearing it too.

I know we sell a absolute ton of Uniroyal Tiger Paw tires as well but didn’t see those listed in this size so would like to hear about those if anyone has used them and if they are available in the size.

Thanks.

Is snow/winter performance important? :unsure:

If so, you might like the 3-peak all-season tires, such as
Vredestein Quatrac 5
Toyo Celsius
Hankook Kinergy 4S2
Cooper Enduramax
Nokian WRG4

Cooper and General are very popular on here

Falken wildpeaks or their wikdpeak at trail if they’re available in that size. I was going to recommend nitto ridge grapplers but don’t think they make em that small.

Is snow/winter performance important? :unsure:

If so, you might like the 3-peak all-season tires, such as
Vredestein Quatrac 5
Toyo Celsius
Hankook Kinergy 4S2
Cooper Enduramax
Nokian WRG4

Cooper and General are very popular on here
Yep sometimes we get a large amount of snow here so that is definitely something I need in case. And traveling 30 miles to work on country roads it’s definitely important.

Hello everyone,

My 2008 Ford Escape will need tires soon. At least front tires as they have 2/32 the rears have 8/32. They were replaced at different times by my aunt. I need something that is a P235/70R16.

I was looking at many different ones online. Trying to decide what ones will be best or if I should keep the same ones as what is on it now. I’d like to go ahead and replace all four and keep the two rear tires as extras.

Currently I’ve got Cooper Evolution on them. This is the first set I will have to put on it. This is the only experience I have with Cooper Tires so that is why I’m asking. So far the tires have been good but I’ve owned it less than a year so don’t know how they do in the long run and we didn’t really have a winter last year so didn’t get to test them in the snow. And with me traveling 30 miles each way to work on mainly country roads I definitely need a good tire for snow in case we do get any.

I also prefer if they have white lettering though it’s not a requirement.

Here is what I’m thinking on and want to hear your thoughts and experiences if you have any.

Cooper Evolution H/T. Same tires as what is on them. A set of four is $544 without the discount I get from work.

Continental Contitrac. Which are the OE tires that it came with from the factory. They do have white lettering as well which puts them higher on the list for me. Reading reviews say they are very noisy but if anyone has experience with them I’d love to hear how they do for you and if they are noisy too. They go for $525.88 without my discount.

Michelin Defender LTX M/S. We have had many sets of these on other vehicles with great luck. They are great tires too. Also the most expensive but I know they last awhile. $732 for a set of four. I also seen a Michelin Premier LTX listed as well which is something I’ll consider as well but I don’t know much about those either.

I’m open to hearing other suggestions as well. I was reading it shows the Bridgestone Dueler is a pretty high rated tire for all seasons but I don’t have any experience with those. Read the same about the General Grabber as well. At work we use ATD for our tires, if it is something I can’t get through them I’m still open to hearing it too.

I know we sell a absolute ton of Uniroyal Tiger Paw tires as well but didn’t see those listed in this size so would like to hear about those if anyone has used them and if they are available in the size.

Thanks.
I would buy the ones that are round. :rolleyes: :unsure::D

I'd match up a new pair to whatever the pair is with 8/32's of tread, and go with it. They're far from being worn out.

Why buy 4? That doesn't make any sense.
Well I feel on a 4WD it’s best to have all of them matching. The ones that are on it I believe said 12/32 was new so they are somewhat worn but not too much.

Four of these--->
1629678043024.jpg

Michelin then Continental

We have Michelin XTour A/S on CRV with 33K miles currently on it and it is one of the best tire I've had

If you are buying two, stay with the Cooper.
I will if I decide to do two. I’m probably going to get four though. I feel that’s better for a four wheel drive with winter coming up. Cooper might be what I stick with anyway but I’m thinking of the Continental or Michelin pretty hard too.

Don't even consider the ContiTracs in the Roanoke Valley/NRV region unless you plan to park the Escape from December to March of each year. I had them on my Ford Ranger and they were the worst tires I have owned in over 40 years when it came to wet traction, snow/ice traction, wet braking and ride comfort. The only positive attributes they had were long treadwear and low-rolling resistance, but they rode hard like they were made of concrete. I'd suggest the Cooper AT3 (4S) in a P-metric rating if you are looking for a good all-terrain tire that has decent ride qualities for a daily driver.

Cooper AT3 -4S

Back