Help me choose oil in Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody,
I live in Australia. I drive a modified 300+hp 97 Saab turbo.
I'm trying to settle on a oil I can constantly use. Everybody on the Saab forums I post on use Rotella, but It's so hard to get here in Australia,near impossible.

I am looking for a 5w 40 grade oil

These are the readily available oils I have to choose from.

Castrol edge.
Valvoline Synpower.
Shell Helix Ultra.
Nulon full syn
Penrite Full syn

I did not mention Mobil 1 because everyone says it does not shear well with our engines.

Any ideas?

Originally Posted By: PZR2874
The Helix 5-40 is your best bet

You change it every 3-3500 anyways, right?

Every 5000 Klm's

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
u could email Saab, they might know.

Saab has gone bankrupt.

All these oils would probably do the job. But I want the best.

How about the castrol or Valvoline?

Originally Posted By: bogan
Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
u could email Saab, they might know.

Saab has gone bankrupt.

All these oils would probably do the job. But I want the best.

How about the castrol or Valvoline?

SAAB AB (Manufacturer) has gone bankrupt, but many of the distributors for them have not...SAAB Cars North America has not filed for bankruptcy and is settling out of court.

Call SAAB Australia. My guess is that they are still an operating organization.

I have also 4 L Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 in my garage to try it winter times.
cool.gif

I think Mobil 1 TDT 5W-40 is Mobil's best motor oil. This should be readily available in Australia. It would be on my short list for the best motor oil out there.

Delo 400 LE Synthetic 5W-40 should be available in Australia too.

I would also consider using a Group II based 15W-40 like Delo 400 …

Quote:
Delo 400 15W-40

Delo’s product line formulated with ISOSYN® Technology combines highly refined base oils with advanced additives to create products that rival synthetic lubricants in critical performance tests. Delo with ISOSYN® Technology provides extended service protection, maximizes engine durability, and minimizes operating costs.

On a 5,000 Km oil change, these Group II based 15W-40's will perform as good as synthetic 5W-40's

Hi,

Originally Posted By: Drivebelt
I think Mobil 1 TDT 5W-40 is Mobil's best motor oil. This should be readily available in Australia. It would be on my short list for the best motor oil out there.

Drivebelt - TDT has never been available in Australia. It has a great cousin here tough called Delvac 1 5W-40

Nobody in the Performance Saab world Uses Mobil 1. They claim it doesn't shear well with out motors.

How would Delvac 5w40 stand up?

Everybody uses Rotella, but its virtually impossible to get in Australia

Maybe Delvac then?

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
It has a great cousin here tough called Delvac 1 5W-40

The TDT up here in Canada has gone up insanely in price. Users of the oil up here would be well advised to go to a distributor for Delvac 1. The insane price of TDT really shows when you compare it to, say, Delvac 1300. The TDT is a whisker away from $50 for the 5 quart jug. The 5 gallon pail of Delvac 1300 or Rotella is in the $70 range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back