Help me buy a car!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always been a 2-door sports car guy. I currently am driving a 1994 Prelude Si and I own a 2002 Mustang GT and it doesn't see weather. Life happens and I need to replace my daily driver Prelude.

Here are the requirements:
$11,000 budget - might reach a bit for the right one
4-door
Automatic (not for me - the wife has to be able to drive it once in awhile)
Something a 6'4" driver can fit in

I'd prefer 2006 or newer because of how harsh the IL roads are to vehicles. MPG isn't an issue because I drive 10 miles to work 4 days a week.

I like the Mazdaspeed 6, but it looks like it's only in manual.

I rode in a 2007 Accord and it was pretty nice. The V6 looks adequate.

I've never purchased a "big boy" car, so I'm not sure what's out there with those reqs.

Thanks for any help.

A prelude SI down
frown.gif

5spd 4ws? if so double
frown.gif

Ford Fusion AWD (if you prefer) or just FWD , wife loves hers and my 6' 4" son fit fine in it too .

If you have not driven one try one . I like the zip of the V6 but people are fine with the 4 cyl in them too .

For $11K you should be able to find a real nice one .

Last edited:
dang...if not for the 4-door requirement,
my brother has an '06 Mustang GT (Auto, cloth, Ford Racing Tune(might be the gt500 tune), Ford Racing Intake, Roush Strut brace) 69,000 mi, he's the 2nd owner, never seen salt(OK&TX) wants $14k.

also has a small stockpile of upgrades for said gen mustang...complete gt500 suspension, GT500 wheels&Tires, Ford "Silver Bullit" wheels, couple sets of different mufflers, front & rear swaybar kit

was his DD, recently replaced it w/ a '13 Hemi Challenger R/T Blacktop.

jetta tdi or a Honda accord maybe give Hyundai a look to more car for the money.

Originally Posted By: SevenBizzos

Boom. Done.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Teach the wife to drive stick.

You make it sound so eeeeaaaasy. Now go and try it in the real world.

Some people (my wife and daughter being two) just hate hate hate HATE anything mechanical; stir-it-yourself trannies fall into that category, and no amount of effort will make them accept using them.

That is a great idea if she is willing.
Also, I bet you can get a decent vehicle for $5000. Personally, I'd stay away from the newer stuff. All my vehicles are 2001 and older and they run great and have a lot of life left in them. Anyhow, very wise to keep the Mustang.

As dumbed down and simple as modern manual transmissions have become, that's not a bad idea. Driving modern manuals takes no real skill-pretty much anyone can do it.

Originally Posted By: randomhero439
Originally Posted By: SevenBizzos

Boom. Done.

+1. I had an '07 Accord V6 6MT sedan and my wife had an '07 Accord I4 5AT, they were great cars, always felt like a million bucks, more expensive than they were. The V6 pulled like a freight train and the I4 was nimble. They were so good that when I turned it in after the lease was up it made the '10 Accord I ended up with seem cheap and compromised, so much so I ditched it after 14 months.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nitehawk55
Ford Fusion AWD (if you prefer) or just FWD , wife loves hers and my 6' 4" son fit fine in it too .

Or get the "American" version of that car, the Mazda6S. (Fusion is made in Mexico, 1st two generations of Mazda6 are made in the same factory as the Mustang in Michigan)

In a Mazda6S you get the handling of the 'Speed6 but lose the AWD and turbo motor.

I don't think $11,000 gets you into a 3.7 powered 2g Mazda6.... at least not one that doesn't have a bajillion miles on it. The 3.0 is decent enough and quicker than any of the contemporary time period 4 cylinders

Or you can get a turbo "Clown Hearse" like my wife and I have. It handles like you would expect a high roof wagon to handle and it gets terrible gas mileage on Premium, but it is fantastically roomy and pressing the pedal on the right is a lot of fun.

Nothing wrong with the fact the Fusion is made in Mexico , they are doing an excellent job on them .

They are now making some of the newer ones in the US because demand for them is so high .

Get the nicest, lowest miles, newest, toaster available.

I drive a 2012 Mazda Toaster (6i, autotragic is only option). It goes, it stops, it is decent on gas, it's comfy for 120-150 minutes of my life a day, and it was cheap ($16,500 brand new). My commute is pretty rough, I have had the car less than 2 years, put 24k on it, and it already needs brakes.

I'd probably get an Accord.

I'm in the same boat. When the wife's Scion Toaster (a slightly more literal interpretation than thr_wedge's), I'm strongly considering an Accord. Comfortable, drives nice, reliable, and durable enough to be useful for as long as I can stand to look at it.

I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the mid sized sedans at this point, I simply have a preference for the Honda.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm probably a week or so out from buying. I am dragging my feet because with the purchase comes a car payment, which I've enjoyed not having for awhile. When I go, I want to test drive some of these to get a feel for things.

Believe me, my wife is distracted enough when driving. Since she's only using it occasionally I might just suck up the frustration and teach her on the Prelude. At 210k miles and with it leaving soon, I don't think she can do a heck of a lot of damage. The problem might be if she learns stick she'll start eyeing up the Mustang
eek.gif

Good stuff! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back