Aftermarket Keyless Entry Option Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter drives the old Toyota Camry and it has factory power door locks but no keyless entry (and FOB's). I think I'll add a keyless entry system for the convenience and to help it feel a bit more updated.

I can't decide if I should make it unlock all the car doors with a single push of the FOB unlock button, or plan for an installation for the progressive (sometimes called priority or two-stage) unlock. I think most of the OEM systems use the progressive unlock where the first push of the button unlocks the drivers door and the second push will unlock all doors. That would be a bit more complicated because it looks like I would have to cut a wire going to the drivers unlock motor and add a relay, but I think I can figure it out if warranted. Also, to have this feature it looks like I will need to make sure the system I select will offer the ability to do this - many of the lower-end systems that I've looked at don't.

So my question for those with the keyless FOB's, do you generally prefer that all car doors open with a single push of the FOB button or do you really like and use that progressive unlock feature so you can just unlock the drivers door?

In addition, most of the aftermarket systems have an alarm feature but I don't know if that's really going to be useful on a 20+ year old Camry? However since I'll have access to most of the wiring and not many more connections, should I go ahead and hook an alarm up or is that just asking for frustration and false alarms?

You could use a pulse (like from the reverse lights when she puts it in drive) to re-lock all the doors once underway. Does this car mechanically unlock the door when the inside opener is pulled?

I have mine set to unlock all doors on the first press of the unlock button, though I do recognize that it might be useful to set it otherwise. I wouldn't spend extra for that feature, though!

Have you installed one of these remote start/alarm systems before?

One of the issues you may encounter is the high end systems only provide directions and schematics to professional installers.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Have you installed one of these remote start/alarm systems before?

One of the issues you may encounter is the high end systems only provide directions and schematics to professional installers.

Correct, that is why I will not use DEI/Viper but will pick an Omega, Excalibur or K9 brand. They do a pretty good job with their installation instructions.

As mentioned, the Camry doesn't have any Keyless System from the factory as it is a Gen 3 (1992). I'll have to check on some of the other questions but it sounds like some with a programing option have chosen to unlock all doors on the first input. That's helpful to know.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
It’s a security issue to unlock only one door. That way a bad guy lurking around the other side of the car can’t jump into the car if only one door unlocks.

I agree with this.

My Camry came with an aftermarket alarm and RKE. Batteries dead in the remotes, supposedly. I've been afraid to touch it. I found a switch in a kick plate and some diodes connecting to the harness; looked up the unit and got nada on a web search. Maybe leave the documentation in the glovebox when done, eh?

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
It’s a security issue to unlock only one door. That way a bad guy lurking around the other side of the car can’t jump into the car if only one door unlocks.

Correct, that is why the factory systems work that way. One might surmise this would be pertinent if a female is the primary driver, particularly if she works late or is typically out late.

If the system had an alarm as well, I would likely install that as well.

Sorry can’t help with the Camry specifics.

I have a keyless system on my mr2 (1993) from viper. It's basically an alarm system with the alarm feature wired out. It unlocks both doors on one button tap and locks them after 20 seconds of ignition on. This can be super annoying because i have locked the keys in the car running once by getting out and closing the door in that 20 seconds.

Wiring was not complicated at all but my remote is discontinued and I want a new one so I may rip it all out and put in a new system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back