Help finding Ford Motor Craft Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
A while back, I learned that the Motor Craft filter was just a relabeled PureOne filter, at less than half the price. Stocked up on it, but finally ran out. Now I can't find it at any of the national chain. Short of the Ford dealer, any one knows of a store that still sell the Motor Craft filters?

Thanks

Autozones and Walmarts sell them. The Supertech for the 4.6 motors is a very good alternative,they are available at Walmart

What Ford Motor do you have?

In my area, Walmart carries a limited selection of Motorcraft filters. I've been told(though I haven't tried it myself) that some WM stores will special-order MC filters they don't normally carry for someone who asks. I plan to try this soon. Pure One's at $3 each? Sounds like a bargain to me.
grin.gif

dragboat, I was looking for the filter for a F150 with the base V6 that I found out the Pure One and Motor Craft were the same. Don't have that truck anymore. Long story...

Except for the exterior paint, the two filters looked identical. Down to the letter/numbering on the flange.

Never even to look at Walmart. Since Target has such poor filter selection, I assumed WM was the same. Might pick up a case this time. Does filter have a shelf life?

Wal-Mart is totally NOT like Target.

Target is for soccer moms with too much money to spend.

Wal-Mart is for the whole family:
young punks who want video games, moms who want shoes and purses, dad's who want engine oil, air filters, oil filters, light bulbs, stereo equipment, waxes/cleaners, power tools (my wally mart has a full section for Dremel tools...) etc

WM is a deadend. Went to two stores around the Sacramento area. Both had two or three Motor Craft filters only. Few Supertechs. Lots and lots of Frams. Fram seems to have about 80% of the shelf space. And they cannot special order. The search continues...

jeeper, all the Motor Crafts I've seen appeared to be Pure Ones, including for '96 F150, '88 Accord, '97 Civic and '98 Accord.

AutoZone has lots of Motorcraft filters. I buy them for my Ford Explorer and Lincoln Town Car, nice filters buy the way. The FL1A runs $2.99 the FL820S is $3.49. Also, Advance Auto Parts carries them as well. If you can't get them locally you can order them from www.autozone.com or www.partsamerica.com for the same prices they sell them for in the store.

my wally mart has a whole line of Super-Techs and just a few popular motorcraft filters.

The rest are Frams.

I took a peek inside the Frams and they dont look too bad.

Allied Signal must have improved the quality after all of that bad press.

Anyone hear of an engine Actually dying because of a fram filter???

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:

my wally mart has a whole line of Super-Techs and just a few popular motorcraft filters.

The rest are Frams.

I took a peek inside the Frams and they dont look too bad.

Allied Signal must have improved the quality after all of that bad press.

Anyone hear of an engine Actually dying because of a fram filter???

Until they stop using cardboard endcaps, I'd never use a Fram. Most engines won't fail from a bad filter, they'll just have more engine wear. So the engine will wear out sooner with a Fram than with another filter.

Patman,Fram makes a host of filters that step up in price,next time you are at Walmart,pick up a few different ones and examine that they offer one with a orangeish in color anti drain back valve,yep they do! :)It even speaks about it in type on the side of the box,these are not a new thing either,been available for a time

Quote:
"Until they stop using cardboard endcaps"

I am not sure what you mean about and end cap? Would you elaborate?

Quote:
"So the engine will wear out sooner with a Fram than with another filter"

How do you quantify this statement? You have quoted Terry as saying in Anaylisis he has seen little or no differnce when it comes to filters.

Is this all about that oil filter study wrote a few years back by a imo well meaning person with little to actaully offer in the end after it was all said and done?

I will ask you this,without knowing when a filter is going into bypass because it is full as in clogged,where does that get one in an effort to extend the life of a engine? Maybe too much filtering is not a good thing,unless one plans for the overkill of filter replacement between changes.
What about a filter that filters very well but flows not as well as step down in filtering ability filter?

Dude,not giving you a hard time,just something to think about,My 300 six cylinder Ford was running fine at 210 with Frams. I know a guy with over 300K on the same engine with Frams. Yeah there are better filters probably,especially if a guy is leaving them on for a year or so,but I don't think they will let a person down at 3 month,3 k intervals. Definately not the higher end ones

[ September 19, 2002, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

If you take apart a Fram, any Fram, you'll see that at the top and bottom of the media, it's
connected with cardboard, not metal like everyone else.

Terry has said that any "quality made" oil filter will do, but I'm sure he'll agree that Fram
does not qualify as a quality made filter. They are known to leak and burst.

A lot of people have had good luck with them but only because they change their oil so
frequently anyways. For those of us that want to go beyond 3k, we are not doing
ourselves a favor running Fram. My main point is that for lesser or equal money, there are
a lot better choices out there than the questionable Frams.

The 300 I6 was also bulletproof.
smile.gif

I'd like to see a modern fram taken apart. IIRC Fram had remarketed a lot of their filters (new gimmicks like that sure grip)

I looked over the Motorcrafts and the Super-Techs and I didn't notice too big of a difference in design... the shell obviously looks sturdier - the Super-Techs failed my thumb test. I could squeeze in the walls slightly while the FL-1A was rock hard. But for $2/pop, the STs aren't a bad deal.

Quote:
"My main point is that for lesser or equal money, there are
a lot better choices out there than the questionable Frams."

Patman,please
smile.gif
I did not infer that you were wrong,just that oil filter study influenced many,maybe for the good,maybe for the bad,at least it got people to thinking about differences

Yep,I agree. The Super Techs are good but Fram charges too much for what you get imo on the ones with the better anti drain back deal

Yep,the 300 inline sixes were good motors,man they would really pull a heavy loaded trailer. Mine was no gas miser though,later the FI engines seemed much better espesially with the 5spd transmission. The carbed versions were too small and the engine gave the little carb too much signal,the Clifford Research intake and 4 barrel and small cam gave 80+ hp and much improved milaege

I think they also enjoyed some success in the dirt track racing

Believe me, I hated Fram long before I even got on the internet and saw the oil filter study!
grin.gif

I cut open a Fram once myself and didn't like the shoddy construction inside. I just don't feel comfortable running anything that isn't fully sealed like that, I think dirty oil gets past that filter a lot more often than people realize.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back