Help choosing router

Status
Not open for further replies.
Switched to Charter internet yesterday. Getting rid of AT&T DSL. I liked the 2Wire wireless gateway. Was rock solid as far as connection and needing minimal attention. Before that I was using router with Charter cable. I am not very tech savvy. I had problems with router not communicating with Charters modem. I am looking for a router that is dependable and easy to configure. Currently using D-Link DIR-601. Wireless is not that stable. I rarely use wireless and router is in my room, so I don't need anything that is super powerful. Just something to occasionally use with Iphone or Ipad. Otherwise, things are hardwired. I can return the D-Link to Micro Center. They had a ASUS Wireless N- ADSL Modem Router. I liked the idea of a button for turning wireless on and off if I could find something that works with cable. My main priority is reliable or stable (minimal fiddling). What do you recommend? Oh, Charter gave me a Motorola SB6121 for a cable modem.

Nice to see they gave you a SB6121, which is a newer modem supporting DOCSIS 3.0.

Truthfully until you start to spend $150-200ish on a router, there's not a whole lot of difference among the major brands. I've been partial to Netgear for a long time but the Cisco-Linksys stuff is good, as is D-Link, Buffalo, and Belkin.

Try and get something with 5.0 if you have a lot of interference from other neighboring networks or stuff like microwaves/cordless phones.

Charter is decent all in all. We changed over from AT&T DSL a couple years ago as the DSL speed wasn't keeping up with the times. For modems, any Motorola Surfboard DOCSIS 3.0 compliant one will do.

For wireless routers, I have a NetGear 3700-100 series router, about $99. It has both spectrums, the standard 2.4GHZ and the new faster 5.0ghz which many things are able to use nowadays. However, 5.0 spectrum doesn't travel as far as the older 2.4ghz standard. And with this NetGear unit, you can add a USB disk drive to the router making a file server of sorts, store videos there and you can watch them from just about any connected device in the house, and access the from the internet if you wish, A nice touch.

I gave up on my DLink DIR-655 as it kept rebooting itself too often. Quite happy with this Motorola/Netgear setup so far.
cheers3.gif

My brother in law (Geek) suggested Netgear. I was going to say I do not want to spend more than $100, so somehow you knew my price point.
smile.gif

Just bought NetGear 3700-100 series router used for half the price on Ebay from someone with 100% positive feedback. Thanks for all the help!

I have had my Apple Airport Extreme running 24-7 for over 3 years with zero issues and it had the easiest set up ever. Sure its expensive, but it is for a reason. Before that I had Belkins, Linksys, Netgear, always problems. The new Airport Express looks cool but I have not tried that one.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
What is 5.0?

I'm assuming he means 5 GHz range which is part of the wireless N standard. While I agree this frequency is less congested and offers less interference, there is a good reason for it - not too many wi-fi cards currently support it. Make sure to check if your wireless devices support it before you bank on it.

You'll enjoy the WNDR3700. Well reviewed and rock solid. I've been running one for nearly two years with no complaints. My only issue was with the built in DLNA media server, which I quickly gave up on and moved on to a real solution.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
You'll enjoy the WNDR3700. Well reviewed and rock solid. I've been running one for nearly two years with no complaints. My only issue was with the built in DLNA media server, which I quickly gave up on and moved on to a real solution.

Spent an hour or so getting to know my new to me router. Seems well supported. I like rock solid. I need rock solid....It should be here next week.

I had a WNDR3700 loaded with DD-WRT for about 18 months and it was great in that time. It did take a few tries to get one that would last more than a week, as the 2.4ghz radios kept dying.

I am quite satisfied with my current ASUS RT-N66R (Same as N66U but bought at best buy)

The 3700 is quite good but if your wireless devices support dual-band N, get the 4000.

Originally Posted By: dparm

The 3700 is quite good but if your wireless devices support dual-band N, get the 4000.

I will need a time machine to do that.
smile.gif

I am trying to save money. I just need something stable. Wifi is rarely used. The router is costing $45.00. Come to think of it I purchased my AT&T 2Wire wireless gateway used from Ebay. It gave me many trouble free years. Hoping lighting will strike twice.

I would check the Smallnetbuilder.com website -- he actually tests routing and switching speeds of all the consumer routers. You may be surprised at how two devices at the same price point can have wildly different throughput.

That site is actually the reason I avoided the 3700v2 and went straight for the 4000.

Originally Posted By: dparm
I would check the Smallnetbuilder.com website -- he actually tests routing and switching speeds of all the consumer routers. You may be surprised at how two devices at the same price point can have wildly different throughput.

That site is actually the reason I avoided the 3700v2 and went straight for the 4000.

I appreciate the input. I tend to make mistakes, then ask the questions. If the 3700v2 does not work out, I will have the owner buy a better router. She is liking the increased speed over my DSL.

Do a full reset of your router first.

Just sheer guess however you likely have a DSL setup currently on the router(username/password) which the cable modems do not use.

Good luck

I'm running a cheapie Netgear WNR1000, that I bought at Wal*Mart.

It has been on the job 24/7/365, for almost 3 years now.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Do a full reset of your router first.

Just sheer guess however you likely have a DSL setup currently on the router(username/password) which the cable modems do not use.

Good luck

Yeah, it took me a little bit to figure out the password since 2Wire puts in on the wireless gateway. The D-Link router seems to be doing OK. I am at 20 Mbps, sometimes speed test shows it at 70 Mbps, so maybe that is a Charter thing? My brother-in-law said the 30 Mbps will be more like 15 Mbps. Charter had me do several full resets when I initially had slow speeds. I am hoping I will not need to do resets often.

Unless you're into the open source/coding/tweaking areas....I'd personally just get the 20-30 dollar one from Big Lots if you have a Big Lots in your area.....they have one currently on sale real cheap.....It is the "dual antenna type" not the flat, saucer looking, new-ish looking design......BUT If I recall, it did have A/B/G/N......at a really good price...the big plus side (for me anyways) It was a Linksys....been a fan of Linksys/CISCO since my BEFW11S4v4.0 LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back