Help! 2015 subaru front diff fluid change wont take in oil

Hi guys

Im doing the front and rear diffs on our 2015 subaru outback.

Rear was easy as pie.....the front, was tricky because of the various plugs and drains....but i located the drain, drained the fluid.....the inspection port, and the fill plug and opened them.

I replaced the drain plug and started filling.....the hole in the photo wont take much fluid at all.....most of it spills back into the catch pan

Anyone done this?

I triple checked its not the fill or drain for the CVT, but it wont take oil.

Any help is appreciated.

Ryan
20210402_175407.jpg

the car probably isn't level. Lift that side of the car some more so that the fill hole is horizontal or pointing up slightly.

Thanks slacktide. I did actually jack that side up....enough the drivers tire was almost off the ground.....im.wondering if i need a longer hose on the funnel....it really makes no sense that it wouldnt fill.

Its odd that thw fiol plus when I pulled it was bone dry

It looks like most if not all thw fluid drained into the pan....so im not concerned it went into the cvt....ill take a peak to be sure

So heres a pic of the other side.....im guessing its the large plug above the axle
20210402_182125.jpg

They did! Not sure what year or model. My wifes 2011 Impreza had one

did they get rid of the dipstick on the diff?

I think they got rid of it when they switched to the CVT :sneaky:

NOTE: Subaru's manual transmissions still have the dipstick and are still combined with the front diff and still share the same gear oil.

Thanks guys. Yeah its rediculous under there.

Its easy to see the fill olug on the other side.now that im looking at it.

IF....if some.of that fluid found its way into the CVT ill bw dropping the pan and doing two drain and fills tomorrow which is aparently what the dealer does if a tech does the same thing 😆

Thanks guys. Yeah its rediculous under there.

Its easy to see the fill olug on the other side.now that im looking at it.

IF....if some.of that fluid found its way into the CVT ill bw dropping the pan and doing two drain and fills tomorrow which is aparently what the dealer does if a tech does the same thing 😆
At least im.not alone.....what a pain in the butt though

So as a follow up! What a day.

I pulled the pan, cleaned everything, with the pan off, I ran 2 litres of fluid througj the same hole i accidentally put the gear oil in.

Reinstalled the pan and did two drain and fills.

It feels excellent....possibly smoother with the new fluids than it did.

Happy car. Pic attached.

Attachments

• 20210403_124813.jpg
    20210403_124813.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 54
With instructions I found online the front was easy on both of my Subies. No offense, but did you research this job or just wing it?

Haha, none taken. I did research it, but had a much better tike with our 2011 than our 2015....with the cvt, the dipstick left....and There are a few red herring plugs.

All back together, issue fixed.

Back