Hello board and a few questions on Frantz/Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, hello to everyone here. My name is Mark and I live in AZ.
This is my first post after having a bugger of a time getting registered. Anywho, I'm 50, x-mechanic of 16 years and now running my own cabinet shop.

While waiting for my registration to get set up, I read all I could on the Frantz topics here and decided to ask a couple of questions. ( good reading too!)

I recently rebuilt my third engine for my old '77 truck and decided to install a Frantz filter on it. I did some testing on the filter before installing it and here is what I came up with.
My not so perfect frantz testing.

Anyway, after a few pesky leaks, its doing well.

After a few weeks of running the Frantz, I decided to change over to Amsoil 10w/30 and go for the 25,000 mile oil changes, with testing as a guide. I contacted my Amsoil "sponsor" after signing up for the "preferred customer" discount and my first order and happened to mention that I was using a Frantz filter. He flat out told me that TP does NOT make a good filtering element as it is of poor quality. He went on to explain in great detail that the fibers will come off and get into the oil and cause bearing damage and overall degradation of the engine. Is there any "proof" of this claim?

I've never used a Frantz TP filter before but my neighbor did years ago and loved them. I have another filter sitting here waiting to go on my wifes '86 Caprice and hopefully one on my other truck too. I also notice that Gulf Coast filters has a JR. version that uses the TP roll too.

Hope to get some good info back on this and thanks for having a great board!

Mark
gr_stretch.gif

[email protected]

welcome.gif

Mark,

First of all welcome to the site. Nice to have you on here.

Now for the old wives tale, There is absolutely no paper migitation using a Frantz bypass filter. First of all at on time Frantz had a FAA/PMA approval for use in aircraft engines. NO other bypass filter exists that has that approval that I have found.

I am only sorry that you did not find one of our Amsoil Dealers first. The one you are using could fill a latrine stool with his verbage about bypass filters. TP is cellulose, Amsoil bypass filters use cellulose. So you may have to get him to visit this site and get an education, and also see how three of the best (IMO) Amsoil Dealers operate.

You can use a hollow bolt return on the small block GM. The hollow bolt replaces the intake manifold bolt on the right side. (driver's side)

Do not hesitate to use the Frantz bypass filter. Very good unit. I have a couple dated in the 60's and haven't had any problems.

cheers.gif

Thanks for the "welcome" vetteman. Nice to see everyone getting along in here. I'm also a regular on the "Hotrodders.com" forum and it gets kinda roudy in there sometimes.

As far as the Amsoil guy goes, I don't want to use any names here but he seems to be very intellengent and has hundreds of pages on his web site on oil and filters.

I recently saw one of the FAA approved Frantz filters on eBay, may still be on, it was just a few days ago. Checked and its still there.

I"ll be posting some more questions later, don't want to flood the board! LOL

I'm also wanting to find better ways to return the oil to the engines. I like the intake bolt idea, but what size fitting do you use? The 1/8" pipe tap is about the same size as the intake bolt.
I like the pan return as it lets the Frantz drain all the way down so there is NO mess when changing the element. I've talked to Debbie at Frantz and she said that Amflo makes an 1/8" pipe swivel and suggests tapping the oil cap on the valve cover and returning it there. But that will put the return above my filter on my wifes car so changing the TP will be a real mess when it dumps a quart on the fender. I don't mind punching the pan, a little scary at first, but it seemed to work ok after I fixed the leak I had there.

The threaded fitting has a seperate metal washer and then a rubber gasket. Its not the best in my book as the rubber gasket seals the pan to the washer, but the metal washer is just butted up to the threaded fitting and will probably be prone to leaking, as mine did. I cleaned it good and ran a small bead of silicone around it and it appears to be ok now. Next one will have the silicone inbetween the metal washer and fitting BEFORE it goes on to be on the safe side.

anyway, nice to chat and to find a good place like this and am looking foward to some good exchanges of info and ideas here.

Mark

[ May 05, 2004, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: 1977c10phxdriver ]

quote:

Originally posted by 1977c10phxdriver:
I contacted my Amsoil "sponsor" after signing up for the "preferred customer" discount and my first order and happened to mention that I was using a Frantz filter. He flat out told me that TP does NOT make a good filtering element as it is of poor quality. He went on to explain in great detail that the fibers will come off and get into the oil and cause bearing damage and overall degradation of the engine. Is there any "proof" of this claim?

Mark
gr_stretch.gif

[email protected]

Maybe it's not the filter but your "sponsor". While most know that I don't prefer the TP styled filters, I would never belittle MY customer with the choice they made.

There are advantages and disadantages for both and talking down to a customer is not a good sales technique.

My advice to you, it to find a different brand oil to run your 25K interval. Dump your sponsor. Sorry I can't help you with the, under Amsoils terms your "stuck" with this dipstick, until 1 year after your "membership" ends.

The franz works no doubt about it, I just prefer other style filters over it. But in my opinion ANY bypass is better than no bypass.

Hi Msparks.

I only signed up for 6 months, maybe when its over, i'll re-up and find someone else! LOL

Like you, I believe that BP filters are a great way to go and much better then none at all. I did not know about any of the other brands until after buying 2 of the newly manufactured Frantz units off eBay. I then began doing some reading and found all kinds of companys selling BP filters. My biggest draw to the TP filter is cost of replacing the elements. I have 3 vehicles and thinking about some of the replacement costs on the spin on filters got me glad I chose the 50 cent TP! LOL ( ok, I admit, i'm kinda cheap!)

Glad I found this place, looks like a great bunch here, hope I can be of some input sometime.

Mark

quote:

Originally posted by 1977c10phxdriver:
Hi Msparks.

I only signed up for 6 months, maybe when its over, i'll re-up and find someone else!

Mark

You will have to wait 1 year after that to go with someone else, hopefully you will have learned your less and choose your sponsor wisely
cool.gif

As far as the TP, yes the new filters are cheap. but they alse need to be changed more frequently, So now when your replace that $.50 roll you also have to replace $6/qt. oil so now we are up to $6.50. Now you do this every 3,000 in 15,000 miles you are up to $32.50 which is more than if you would choose something else. This doesn't mean it's a bad thing, but I do feel that the TP filters are more suited to dino oil, or something that is less than $3 per quart.

What I"m saying is that if I had to use a TP filter I would probably go with Rotella T 5w40 for $12 a gallon (if you can still get that price) otherwise I would choose something like Chevron supreme or Conoco Hyroclear. I would change the filter and top off every 3000 and be happy.

On my personal vehile I change the by-pass filter BE110 every 2 years. I change the FF filter between 8 months and 1 year. I'll top off with $7/qt oil. It works for me
lol.gif

I guess i'm overdoing it with Tp changes every 2,000 miles with Amsoil HDD 5w-30 s3k
frown.gif
oh well at least i get the warm fuzzy feeling of running an oil way better than is needed for everyday driving.

One of my customers was told that Amsoil lubricants only work with Amsoil filters. She thought it made sense for her Amsoil dealer to install the Motor Guard. She found a diesel repaor shop that ws glad ot install it. I bought a Frantz from a big Franz and Amsoil dealer in Salt Lake City that built race cars. He didnt have a problem installing Amsoil 10-40 in the engine and manual transaxle. That has been about 20 years ago. He was in the phone book. He had a Frantz museum with a good collection of old Frantz filters. The engine will last longer using Amsoil with a Frantz than it will with a Amsoil filter. If they dont know any better they are not being dishonest. I dont hear as many good stories about tp filters like the guy that got rich digging tp out of engines or the guy that got so much tp in his catylic converter it burned the valves. Take care of the filter and the filter will take care of the oil. Clean oil will take care of the engine. A Amsoil dealer here in Texas told me that he opened his Frantz to change the tp and the housing was empty.
nono.gif
The whole roll was circulating in the oil.
nono.gif
If he is telling me that BS he is telling his customers. Many of my customers are Amsoil dealers.

Ralph
burnout.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back