Hella Optilux 1450, Opinions??

Status
Not open for further replies.
those look identical to some of the blazer offerings, i think it was blazer.... I played with a similar set some years ago.

1. the housings were 5-star sturdy and never leaked.

2 light output--- these don't have a glare shield on the bulb--- that will be a detriment as you'll have some unleashed light blasting right onto your foreground, which may counter/overwhelm some of the light out towards the horizon-- ie, the important stuff.

3. my experience with most small housings like this is pretty dismal. the small reflectors have a hard time controlling all of the bulb output--- I've seen a nice focus before with decent upper and lower cutoffs, but it's not very strong-- as a lot of the light from the bulb doesn't get harnessed properly and doesn't make it to the ground.

4. these may work best as foreground lights anyway-- based on the reviews. Wide, close-range beam. If that's what you want, then it may be ok--- but I'd certainly want a glare shield over the bulb. If it's truly for fog, the scattered glare from the bulb will counter any useful light.

with an internal cutoff shield mod this might give you better results? there are several aux lights using projectors that can be modded for very nice lights.

http://www.amazon.com/Optilux-H71010291-Model-Halogen-Projector/dp/B0002MA3NU/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_2

Last edited:
based on what I can see, this looks like a much better lamp. at least the features are present that would allow it to be a much better lamp. no way to tell of actual optics until they are powered up.

since it's amazon, I'd bench test them. set them on a stand with a c-clamp, power them up at night. put them at about installed height. see what it looks like. you can send them back if they are no good. walk out in front of them and get an idea of how they look to oncoming drivers too.

regardless, they look far better to me. I like that they do not use the antique H3 bulb. Looks like a 9011-12 (can't recall which has the glare shield)--- which uses an axial filament-- you can arguable get more light out of it than an h3.

I have the 1450's installed.

They do have the bulb shield factory installed. I have not opened them up and removed these shields to " make it SOOO much brighter" like many of the foolish reviewers on Amazon, who then complain that they leak.

The light pattern is wide. Mine are not properly mounted as fog lights as they are not much lower than my 6054 sealed beams.

I use them for low speed driving when I want to see off to the sides, below my low beams, or when I don't want or need my low beams annoying other drivers, neighbors, pedestrians. My sealed beams 6054's are now on relays with 12awg harness and are significantly brighter than before.

I never drive with the hella's on in addition to the low/high beams. One or the other, but they are on a separate switch and I could.

The switch provided with the hella's is a joke. I have a different lighted switch to trigger the provided relay. I used to run full fog light current through this same switch, but now it just triggers the relay. Those other lights were some hideous Pep boys specials which leaked, had the reflector peel off and burn out within 2 years. These Hellas are significantly better than those were in light spread and output. They have been installed for over 2 years now. No issues with them.

Best fogs I've had (and have on both cars) is the Hella Micro DE. Projector fog, awesome pattern, full coverage, flat cutoff, no hot spots. No issues like some amazon reviews about corrosion and I've had them for years through many Northeast winters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back