Health Care priorities are misguided - my ER visit

Status
Not open for further replies.
@bbhero.

it all depends on how you view healthcare. If you view it as a fundamental human right then it is unacceptable for people to forgo care because they cannot afford to pay for it.

If you view it as a luxury good then it is unacceptable for people to receive that good if they cannot pay for it. In this case everyone should pay for care out of pocket and any insurance plan is unacceptable as well because even if you have insurance that covers your care, it is a larger pool of people not using healthcare that are paying for the patient's care.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
@bbhero.

it all depends on how you view healthcare. If you view it as a fundamental human right then it is unacceptable for people to forgo care because they cannot afford to pay for it.

If you view it as a luxury good then it is unacceptable for people to receive that good if they cannot pay for it. In this case everyone should pay for care out of pocket and any insurance plan is unacceptable as well because even if you have insurance that covers your care, it is a larger pool of people not using healthcare that are paying for the patient's care.

I think the word "right" is misused today. I believe everyone has the fundamental right to seek health care. There is NO right to force others to pay the cost. This is where we are going off the rails as a nation.

I see the idea of taking from one person to benefit another, with no means of the person involuntarily losing the fruits of his labor to be little different than slavery. Cost shifting is just a means of fiscally enslaving one group of people from the benefit of others who did not do the work.

You can seek whatever you want, doesn't mean that you are going to receive it.

As a side note, while healthcare is not a human right in the US, WHO defines it as a human right. Their discussion goes far deeper than leaving the uninsured die on the streets as one of the posters has suggested. It's a good read.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs323/en/

Healthcare has only one goal...extract wealth and place it in someone else's pocket. The insurance companies, big pharma and hospitals are the pockets. Worlds most expensive healthcare with a very poor outcome for what we spend.

It's a basic economic law, when you are spending other people's money, you'll spend more.

We have ever increasing sums of OPM in this and many other markets. Of course prices will spiral out of control.

Too many political scientists and not enough people with a credible education in economics.

Originally Posted By: Blaze
Healthcare has only one goal...extract wealth and place it in someone else's pocket. The insurance companies, big pharma and hospitals are the pockets. Worlds most expensive healthcare with a very poor outcome for what we spend.

I will say it because I didn't see where anyone else did.

Medical marijuana. If your state doesn't have it get some recreational stuff.

I'm sorry to hear about your struggle with this. Clearly, it's unnecessary.

Bureaucrats being Bureaucrats. Some reasonably insulated person behind a desk, making decisions that greatly affect American lives. Without a care as to how much distress it causes. And, zero accountability.

Heck, I'm not even sure it's constitutional.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back