Headlight restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
The headlights on my 2001 Jeep have really turned yellow....purchased a Permatex restoration kit which involved hand-sanding and while they are better, it really didn't do the job. I found a 3M kit which uses a drill-mounted arbor and various abrasives. Has anyone tried the 3M kit or another kit with good results?

I had excellent results with the Crystal View brand hand sanding type kit on my '94 Lincoln, but they weren't yellow, just sand-blasted to fogginess from years of sandy highway slop.
This kit has the permanent scratch and pit filler.

On the couple of occasions I've needed it, I just used an orbital polisher plus an aggressive swirl/haze remover (for paint). The Permatex kit doesn't really work so well.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I noticed that the Permatex kit does not use a sealant to fill in scratched areas. You might try a kit that has that.

http://www.myheadlight.com/headlight-restoration-kits/

I tried that *my headlight deal)on one headlight..It sucked.

It had a 100% money back deal (per there site). I emailed them and said I wanted my money back (no questions etc)..The VP of marketing came with some blah blah..No money back. I got to put a claim in on the BB (which means nothing) but they lie.

I will tell anyone to skip there back.

Overpriced and does not work great.

I had sence got way better results with OP hyper compound, 1000 grits sandpaper. Cheaper and works...

Timely topic. I don't know how well the 3M kit works, but it requires a drill.

I just finished restoring my daughter's 01 Civic using Crystal View, no drill required.

It seemed to do the job quite nicely, significant improvement. Can't speak to durability yet but IMO, it's a good product. Follow directions.

Available at most Advance Auto's and some Wallyworld's for~$20. Some Wallyworld's actually use the product in tire lube express and charge $40.

Wet sand them and clear coat them with a two part Polly clear.
Its the only thing Ive seen last.

Mine aren't yellowing, but they have the hazey thing going on. I'm sure it's cutting down the amount of light they throw out. I'm gonna have to try something to correct it here before too long.

Originally Posted By: Crustacean
Wet sand them and clear coat them with a two part Polly clear.
Its the only thing Ive seen last.

Bingo.

I would never tell anyone to use Crystal View.

They state:
"To make sure our customer's are satisfied, we give a full 30-day, no questions asked money-back guarantee. If it doesn't do exactly what we say it will, we'll buy it back!!

The do not honor this..Liers.

Contact (bobo the clown) their is:
Lin Ford
VP, Sales/Marketing

But you are right..I used OP Hyer compund after 1,000 grit. I still thinnk OP Hyer alone would do it. Then I topped with Tough Coat (Clear Gloss topcoat) from Krylon...5X better and 1/2 the price.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Mine aren't yellowing, but they have the hazey thing going on. I'm sure it's cutting down the amount of light they throw out. I'm gonna have to try something to correct it here before too long.

haze can be inside and out. If out you are fine; If inside, you cannot do anything.

My results with my 97 Tbird has been already linked to in this thread; Thanks.
here are my results with my wife's Elantra's headlights with Crystal View:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post1194517

after about a year, They still look pretty good, much better than they did with other products after a year; however, not as good as when I did them last July;

I am going to just polish them with the normal 3m plastic polish this time, w/out any sanding etc (my previous solution before i found CV), and see if they look like they did last July.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
Originally Posted By: es350
The do not honor this..Liers.

Ah, an American company.

Or just poor business people. The people suck.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
My results with my 97 Tbird has been already linked to in this thread; Thanks.
here are my results with my wife's Elantra's headlights with Crystal View:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post1194517

after about a year, They still look pretty good, much better than they did with other products after a year; however, not as good as when I did them last July;

I am going to just polish them with the normal 3m plastic polish this time, w/out any sanding etc (my previous solution before i found CV), and see if they look like they did last July.

Well do not contact them for the lifetime warranty deal..They will give you some line on it.

But you are going in the right direction with 3m...easy and will give same results. I bet 1000 to 1, it will clean the same if not better the CV

I bought the 3M kit on sale at AA for about $17. My LHS lenses weren't yellow, but were foggy. The kit cleaned them up nicely. Plenty of product to do at least three sets in my estimation. I changed my bulbs with a set of the Sylvania Ultra Vision from Amazon and the lighting has never been better.

Originally Posted By: es350

But you are going in the right direction with 3m...easy and will give same results. I bet 1000 to 1, it will clean the same if not better the CV

sorry; i should have been clear:
No. it didn't; and won't. I already know that:

3 M is what i USED to do, BEFORE i tried CV
; compared to CV results, it sucked, IMO. 3M didn't even come close to what CV did.

what i am trying to do NOW, AFTER using CV and getting those results that you can see in the pics, is:
Now that CV has done a great job in getting the [censored] off (that 3M never got off), see if i can try the 3M just to MAINTAIN what I achieved with CV.

Last edited:
I did email tech support at CV after I did the restoration because I had a question. I thought it would be helpful to post his response for maintaining the CV#2 seal for a longer period. This was his response.

I would also recommend using a Synthetic Automotive Protectant. There are are more durable. They help shield against contaminants, UV rays and road film which all could fade or discolor your lens. Synthetic Automotive Protectants are available at all auto parts stores.

Just ask the store clerk, and he will direct you to the right product. Do not use a natural wax. These will melt at temperatures between 105-145F and your lenses exceed this every time you turn them on.

Examples would be Turtle Wax Ice, Meguires-NXT, Astro Shield, and Eagle One- Nano wax is Synthetic cleaners and polishers.

Hope that helps. And, their response was within a few hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back