Headlight restoration question

It's been many years since I've had to do a restoration and I don't recall what kit I used in the past. I am looking for recommendations for a easy to use kit without the use of a drill. TIA

I tried the drill method and ended up just using a little mosquito spray with deet on a rag and rubbing for 20-30 seconds. Don't spray it or get it on paint. Works well.

Cerakote worked well for me. No drill required.☁️ Headlights are 11 years old.

Attachments

• D6EFF4EF-9618-418E-A6D9-A43008DCE64D.jpeg
    D6EFF4EF-9618-418E-A6D9-A43008DCE64D.jpeg
    133.3 KB · Views: 47
I wouldn't call it restoration but I used Scratch Out. Works well but you need to redo it about every 3 to 4 months. Only takes a few minutes.

After researching this about four years ago, it was determined this one was best. Follow the directions to the T, and you should get good results. It even comes with a lifetime guarantee (save your receipt!), which I took them up on last year. It was going on three years, and the headlights were beginning to get a little hazy.

Comes with all the necessary materials, including three different grits of sandpaper. The most important being the UV blocker (the final step), which keeps the headlights looking good longer.

After researching this about four years ago, it was determined this one was best. Follow the directions to the T, and you should get good results. It even comes with a lifetime guarantee (save your receipt!), which I took them up on last year. It was going on three years, and the headlights were beginning to get a little hazy.

Comes with all the necessary materials, including three different grits of sandpaper. The most important being the UV blocker (the final step), which keeps the headlights looking good longer.

Have used this kit as well. Worked well.

I am looking for recommendations for a easy to use kit without the use of a drill.
You don't own a drill? OK. Git you a stick o butter and shmeer it on the headlight. Buff off wit a rag. Lasts for days I guarantee, just like most of the hillbilly internet methods. Or buy a drill, get a quality kit and be done with it for a few years.

IMG_8392.JPG

AFter watching Youtube vids for a night, I decided to try 0000 steel wool and Mequiar's Aluminum Mag Wheel Polish. Works great getting the worst of it off. Used an Amazon drill polish kit with the Mequiar's to finish it off. Wiped down with alcohol and sprayed with clear coat.

Cerakote worked well for me. No drill required.☁️ Headlights are 11 years old.
I second the Cerakote kit/method if you do not want to use a mechanical drill/buffer. It comes with 8 oxidation remover wipes, 2 grits of velcro attachable sandpaper disks (2 each), a nice sandpaper disk palm grip/holder, 4 cerakote/ceramic wipes, and gloves. Might even be able to stretch it out and get 2 vehicles' headlights done. Might seem weird not to need a polishing step, but that final grit of sandpaper is used to give the ceramic the ability to stick better, to which it self-levels fairly well, if you followed the directions.

Not personally tested for durability, but i think the protective coating will last a very long time; they claim lifetime, which to me could be 4-10 years. I have no reason to doubt that claim, as their trim restorer has one of the best, longest lasting, and easiest to apply trim restore product that I have used by far.

Back