Back with another headlight restoration thread.

Here's a couple shots with the Headlight Armor clear film. It's been more than a week now and the handful of bubbles remaining in it are now mostly gone. The material "breathes", so the moisture trapped in the bubbles gradually evaporates and then the bubbles shrink and go away (the film is applied by first misting the surface with water, just like window tint). They're now almost totally gone but the second photo shows the last remaining "larger" bubbles but even those have been slowly shrinking so I am sure they will go away entirely. Right now these three are about 1/4" x 3/8" in size. Anyway, I hope this stuff protects the lenses from yellowing because these lenses really were perfect when I bought the car. (note there are also a few drops of rain starting to fall when I took the pics)

qWXsJZ.jpg

1I5uuB.jpg
Thanks for pics . Your FIT looks to be in very good condition and put care into it . Hopefully the bubble w/ moisture fades away . Keep us updated .

Thanks for pics . Your FIT looks to be in very good condition and put care into it . Hopefully the bubble w/ moisture fades away . Keep us updated .
Thanks, yeah, this Fit really was the "pick of the litter". Almost too nice for the kind of use I'll be giving it! Driving it all winter, racking up crazy miles, etc, hauling parts home from the junkyard, etc.... Apparently the old lady who owned it previously rarely drove it.

I did these with a 3M Ultra restoration kit on our 08 Accent 2 weeks ago. This was a test run (this car has cheap replacements available) before attempting on my 07 Mazda3 ($400 per side to replace). Look pretty good, though the plastic itself is crazed so they still need replaced, but they look and perform significantly better. Will see how well the 2 yr claim for the included coating stands up. Before, hood down. After, hood up.
1000018410.jpg
1000018417.jpg
1000018418.jpg
1000018411.jpg

Here's a couple shots with the Headlight Armor clear film. It's been more than a week now and the handful of bubbles remaining in it are now mostly gone. The material "breathes", so the moisture trapped in the bubbles gradually evaporates and then the bubbles shrink and go away (the film is applied by first misting the surface with water, just like window tint).

1I5uuB.jpg
A few weeks have passed and even these largest bubbles are now nearly invisible. The clear film installation turned out real nice!

All these lights look great. We have Turtle Wax and Meguiars headlight restoration kit hopefully they will do as good as these haven’t decided which one I’m going to use on what vehicles yet.

at a certain point no amount of cleaning will keep those poly lites clear for any amount of time. I've read that the crystaline structure inside the polycarbonate begins to cloud up and no amount of polish will help and eventually you need new lenses.. That has been my experience, can clean em up but eventually they lenses are garbage.
They go bad after so much time regardless if parked inside or outside. We got a 2009 car that has been garage kept and washed and waxed at least 3-4 a month and the car looks like new (except) for those darn cheap light covers. These things are really just a big plastic cover they designed to hold the tiny new types of lights. I hear that light "cover" if one decides to replace with an OEM one is outrageous prices if you can even get one. Like over $900 at least.

you would think long lasting headlight "covers" could be made ""IF they really wanted to"" like many things it makes $$$ + manufacturers could care less IMO

you would think long lasting headlight "covers" could be made ""IF they really wanted to"" like many things it makes $$$ + manufacturers could care less IMO
The kicker is, Some manufacturers enjoy making all the $$$ they can on OEM parts down the road after original sales.
The engineers just doing their jobs knew full well what the future outcome of the cheap plastic they were asked to spec out would end up being and how long possible life.
Well things seemed to have changed for the better. The cost for new OEM light covers for my 2009 has come down quite a bit. I have found some on a web site NewHondaParts.com for less than $100. People can live with that I am sure. Now the replacements for kind of newer models is still hight but not near as bad as they charged in the past. Replacements for 2018 models are in the $300 to $500 range which is high but at least not highway robbery or rape! Hell with the price for my 2009 at around $80 each, I may end up going with new ones if I keep that car much longer.

Last edited:
Back