Head gasket replacement 13/14' Jeep Patriot

Does a buyer not get any legal protection when buying a used car from a dealer in the USA? If this was the UK the dealer would be liable for the repair inside of 6 months of purchase

Does a buyer not get any legal protection when buying a used car from a dealer in the USA? If this was the UK the dealer would be liable for the repair inside of 6 months of purchase
No, used car purchases are "as-is" unless expressed otherwise in writing (dealer or private sales). That actually applies to anything used in the US, not just cars.

Finally got around to using the Bars Leak today, as he wanted to try it as a last ditch before pulling the head- it has worked so far. He was able to drive more than 5 minutes without the temp pegging to hot.
I diagnosed the initial problem as both fans quit working. One relay was corroded and had broken blade, fished it out and replaced. The other fan was a little corrosion but was fine after cleaning. Both fans are working now and hoping for the best.

So it's safe to say the non-functioning fan caused the engine to overheat and pop the head gasket.

So it's safe to say the non-functioning fan caused the engine to overheat and pop the head gasket.
The HG-in-a-can didnt do anything is my thought. The only thing I've "heard" is K seal, but I believe that is more for things like freeze plugs.

1000 miles/30 days max if anything at all, especially on something with that many miles.

$7500 to replace a head!!??

I feel like you could pay someone to put a whole engine in for that much.

You could head over to the Jeep Patriot Forums and look for ideas there. There are a couple of very experienced owner/mechanics there that might offer good advice. There is also a downloadable 2014 factory service manual there.

It's good to find out the root problem was neglect. The pre-Tigershark version of the Dundee Michigan built 2.0/2.4 World Gas Engines are quite bullet proof regarding reliability. Their only Achilles heel is the plastic geared throttle body, but OEM replacement is sub $250 and DIY installation is very easy. I have to confirm if Timmastertech's assertion of non hydraulic lifters is correct.......I don't think so. The six speed Hyundai Powertec transmission introduced in 2013 is also quite bullet proof and the extensive 2011 refresh fixed the early suspension problems. My 2014 (really 2013) Patriot has been the lowest cost of ownership vehicle I have ever owned. I can now feel good about The Critic falling off his chair 12 years ago when he learned I chose the Patriot over the Honda CRV, LOL.

Good luck on your quest.

I've posted this pic before of my SIL's POS car parked behind my Patriot. My crank up windows have yet to fail me, LOL.
1719538875164.jpeg

Reactions: wlk
Back