Head gasket replacement 13/14' Jeep Patriot

wlk

My buddies Patriot blew the head gasket the other day. He is not able to buy a replacement motor and is looking for options. Got a quote for replacing with a used one for $7500 and another one for just doing the head was $5500. He just bought it used about 2 months ago, dealership is no help and is disgusted by it as he has a loan on it. I am not sure if it is the 2.0l or 2.4l yet, going next week to look at it.
Is there anything overly hard about pulling this head and replacing this gasket?
We were going to pull the head and take it to the local shop to have the head redone. I have not done one on anything newer than early 2000s models. So just curious about this new of a model. He was going to bring it to my garage and I was going to talk him through it here, he wants to do it himself to save cash. He is the sole breadwinner with a family of 6.
Any tips are appreciated.

It's a 4 cylinder OHC engine. How hard could it be to pop the head off? Get a repair manual and search youtube for videos. There is plenty of room to work once you get the plastic bits out of the way.

095.JPG

It's a 4 cylinder OHC engine. How hard could it be to pop the head off? Get a repair manual and search youtube for videos. There is plenty of room to work once you get the plastic bits out of the way.
That's kind of my thought too. Pulling the head, and dealing the the problem, should not be particularly difficult. Even a replacement cylinder head (if necessary) should be easy to deal with.

Not that bad. Just uses a torx headed head bolt is about the only thing that can threw you for a loop a little if not prepared.

fairly easy job other than that. Look at the coolant thermostat housing thing when you are in there. Sometimes they break. Need to figure out why the head gasket blew if possible.

The job should be easier than a Subaru, and your Patriot only has one head gasket instead of 2 :D

Try head gasket sealer first. I can vouch for Bars Leaks HG-1. The Blue Devil Pour-N-Go seems to work, too.

If it were cast iron, I'd say an easy job. If you're talking aluminum head/block you COULD run into the aluminum thread stripping issues so many have had doing repairs.
I'd say that one of the key requirements for a good repair would include all new head bolts at a minimum.
And a repair manual of course, so you know the torque requirements.

I did a head a couple years ago on a 200 of that vintage with a 4 cylinder (same basic engine). That one had a cracked head and with a reman head from Chrysler I think was between 3500 and 4000 out the door including all the plastic bits in the cooling system. Dont remember if that included a timing chain or not.

For a DOHC 4 cylinder that engine is a bit fiddly. The valvetrain is a mechanical valvetrain not hydraulic with variable thickness tappets to set valve clearance. There is also a bearing shell in the number 1 exhaust camshaft journal that is one of 3 possible sizes based on casting number on the head. It wasnt anything tough for an experienced tech but for someone without experience there are a bunch of mistakes you can make that can be expensive and tough to fix.

The job should be easier than a Subaru, and your Patriot only has one head gasket instead of 2 :D

Try head gasket sealer first. I can vouch for Bars Leaks HG-1. The Blue Devil Pour-N-Go seems to work, too.
Finally got around to using the Bars Leak today, as he wanted to try it as a last ditch before pulling the head- it has worked so far. He was able to drive more than 5 minutes without the temp pegging to hot.
I diagnosed the initial problem as both fans quit working. One relay was corroded and had broken blade, fished it out and replaced. The other fan was a little corrosion but was fine after cleaning. Both fans are working now and hoping for the best.

There are many engines on LKQs website that are reasonable. This is cheaper and less risky then getting the heads re-done.

Finally got around to using the Bars Leak today, as he wanted to try it as a last ditch before pulling the head- it has worked so far. He was able to drive more than 5 minutes without the temp pegging to hot.
I diagnosed the initial problem as both fans quit working. One relay was corroded and had broken blade, fished it out and replaced. The other fan was a little corrosion but was fine after cleaning. Both fans are working now and hoping for the best.
He isnt watching the guage!

There are many engines on LKQs website that are reasonable. This is cheaper and less risky then getting the heads re-done.

Thanks, will keep it in mind if the Bars Leak doesn't hold

I do not condone replacing the engine in a POS Patriot. He should fix it as best he can and trade it off IMMEDIATELY (which is probably how he ended up with it).

I do not condone replacing the engine in a POS Patriot. He should fix it as best he can and trade it off IMMEDIATELY (which is probably how he ended up with it).
thats not helpful given the context of what OP said initially, but if you have something technical please share.

Back