Buick Encore 1.4T misfire

Had a buddy bring over his MIL's 2019-ish Buick Encore 1.4T to diagnose a misfire.

While it was idling in the driveway, very intermittently I could hear the sharp crack of high voltage going somewhere it shouldn't be. We pulled the coil module (sits over all 4 plugs) and the plug well of the cylinder furthest to the driver's side was corroded as well as inside the coil boot and spring. Evidently it's been arcing in that plug well.

What stumps me, is he'd just replaced plugs & the coil module about 10K ago for the same reason, and upon inspection of the old one (he kept it), it had the same issue on that same cylinder.

We simply took a good boot/spring off the old coil set and replaced the bad one with it. Drives fine now, but I have hunch the misfire will return eventually. I also noticed at the bottom of the springs, there's what looks to be a small fuse there. What purpose does this serve?

Is this a common issue on these engines, or is there a fix to keep this from happening?

Yes it is common. Generally due to a damaged boot during maintenance.

I am fairly sure the boots are available via the aftermarket.

The corrosion issue that quickly is a puzzler. I can understand spark jumping a gap/crack in a boot or coil, but the corrosion twice on a 2019?

Is this someone who likes to clean the engine? If so he should stop doing it, it can cause a lot more problems than having an engine that is a little dirty. I have a Subaru that someone used purple power or similar stuff on it and literately damaged the engine and ruined every nut, bolt and part connected to it with corrosion.

Back