HDEO USE IN CARS

Status
Not open for further replies.
NJC, guess what I found on SuperStore shelf today, no PC 15-40 (XD3 bottled in PC bottles by Esso), I saw official Esso 15-40 at over a dollar more per litre. Too bad.

Cyprs

I also use a blend of XD-3 0W30 and 15W40 in the summer in a gas DOHC 1.8l VW GTI with 370,000kms on it. The valves actually got quieter after the first 500kms and have been whispering since.
I also use it in a 99 Venture as well as my Honda CRF450 motocross bike (5 hour oil change intervals) and the kids smaller air cooled bike and quad.
I used to be a Mobil 1 guy but not anymore after I discovered XD-3.

I did try a blend with a 5W20 syn. in the VW as the car puts out nearly 100psi oil pressure at idle in even -10C weather. (not something the shallow o-ring lip on a Fram filter can survive). When it’s -25C with that car you hope for an oil that flows like rubbing alcohol.

I also was saddened to see no more PC-Esso on the shelves at $2 litre. I get my XD-3 0W-30 from the UFA farm stores. I think its around $23-$24 for a 5 litre jug.

Back to your main question: This is what I found in the FAQ on the Rotella website, answer from Shell:
"If your manual specifies only API SL (or earlier designation), then the catalyst is likely not sensitive to higher levels of phosphorus. If it also specifies ILSAC standards, using ROTELLA T may risk some catalyst activity loss."

Are there any sources in the states for Esso XD3? With the supply of GC drying up here, I don't think I'll be alone looking for a 0w30 substitute.

Quote:

I have a stash of delvac 15w40 and rotella 10w30 that I need to use up. I'm thinking of mixing it from fear of cat poison. yes, it will be used in an oil burner. 1 qt/3k miles

I think the whole cat poisoning thing is much overblown. It certainly is IMO on a vehicle that uses little or no oil. And the Rotella multigrades are SL rated so how much of a problem could it really be in any older vehicle that was rated for SL...

I've been using Esso XD-3 0W-30 in my car for almost year. I’ve been very happy with it, and I’ve had no consumption.

The whole cat issue is a little bit of a red herring. Why? Simple. If your engine doesn’t consume any oil, it is a non-issue. If your engine does consume oil, and that isn’t normal for that type of engine, you might have other issues to think about.

All that being said, in the end it is your car, and you need to do what makes your comfortable and lets you sleep at night, so read, inform yourself, and you’ll figure it out eventually. If you need help, ask questions and people here will be more than happy to answer.

Is the Cat issue the only reason to consider not using a HDEO in a gasoline engine? Are there some other formulation issues which make HDEO's not ideal in a gas engine even if it makes the API specs?

I use Rotella in my 2001 Audi TT 225 right now. I just changed out the M1 0w-40 I was using during the winter. Car likes it fine. Runs smooth and I have had no issues through the years. It has 58,000+ on it now and I will keep her going until the doors fall off. I am sure the Rotella will continue to work great in this car.
cheers.gif

Quote:

Quote:

So far there is a 5 year old Suzuki Esteem with 1.3L aluminum block engine which has been fed on HDEO like Delvac Super or Delo 400, most the later, the engine has 264000 miles on clock, very little oil consumption and guess what, no catalytic converter damage, passes emissions with flying colors.

Wow...sample size of one...very scientific.
smirk.gif

Well the company I used to work for used Delo 400 in their cars , service vans As well as their forklifts ,sweepers compressors The compressor as well as the engines to run them, They would pass smog with out any problems. That makes around 40 Ford vans some with the ohc engines As well as the owners Vette and Mercedes 10 company cars.

Quote:

Rotella 15w-40 has a pour point of -40 F so would this be good for use down to about 0 F? I'd like to use 15w-40 'year 'round but I'm concerned in the winter as it occasionally gets down to about 0 or a few degrees below. With a pour pioint of -40 I'm think I might be OK--thoughts?

Use 10w/30

Awhile back i asked one of the ground support mechanics what oil do they use in the company viechals and he said what ever cheap HDEO they can find. And these trucks and SUV's abused every day.

I bought my '01 Chevy Lumina from a college fleet auction about a year ago. They ran Rotella 15W40 in it from day one, with 6000 mile OCI's. The car had 160,000 on it when I bought it, and ran like a new car (but had the standard 3100 lower intake manifold gasket leak). I took the engine apart to change the LIM gasket, and it was squeaky clean inside- with no visible wear. Now I run pretty much any name-brand 15W40 HDEO that I can get a good deal on- John Deere, Delvac, and Rotella so far. Seems to work just fine.

I think the catalytic converter thing might be an issue if you have an oil-burner, though. Isn't that why the SM rating was created?

I would think that any SM rated oil would not cause any additional harm to catalytic coverters when compared to regular SM rated gas oils (ie 5w30/10w30). These HDEO oils are fleet oils, designed to use across a broad range of engines. I would think the only downside would be a decrease in fuel economy. However most "fleet" vehicles are run hard with few cold starts, so that may not be an issue.

I've contemplated trying Delo 15w40 in my Mazda DOHC V6 due to the fact it has a solid lifter set-up and it tends to be a bit noisey at operating temps with 5w30 and 10w30. The HDEO oils, even in 15w40, seem to have superior cold weather capabilities and look really good on paper.

Quote:

I would think that any SM rated oil would not cause any additional harm to catalytic coverters when compared to regular SM rated gas oils (ie 5w30/10w30). These HDEO oils are fleet oils, designed to use across a broad range of engines. I would think the only downside would be a decrease in fuel economy. However most "fleet" vehicles are run hard with few cold starts, so that may not be an issue.

I've contemplated trying Delo 15w40 in my Mazda DOHC V6 due to the fact it has a solid lifter set-up and it tends to be a bit noisey at operating temps with 5w30 and 10w30. The HDEO oils, even in 15w40, seem to have superior cold weather capabilities and look really good on paper.

One of the major advantages of an overhead cam engine especially a 4 valve per cyl is lower overall valve spring pressure.

Well- since my '95 Civic does not consume any oil- I think after the Auto-Rx rinse phase is completed in it I'll go ahead and use AMSOIL HDD 5W-30 even though it's equipped with a cat convertor. Apparently the HDD is a pretty robust oil and should hopefully be adequate for my Civic, and I've got four gallons in the stash.

Quote:

btw, sorry for dumb question.. how does the zddp reach the cat if there is no oil burning?

There always has to be some oil burning . It is nice when the oil burning is microscopic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back