HDEO in motorcycles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by kebabaluba
Nice. Was the engine cleaner using the HDEO like Rotella?

It doesn't get cleaner or dirtier using an HDEO. It's nothing special it's just a cheaper alternative to using oil that is more expensive because it says "motorcycle" on the bottle. If it's not an energy conserving oil and it's a 40/50/60 wt, it's going to be just fine in the sump.

Did not get any answers to my question by using the search function. No need to be salty, no one demands anwers from you, and you just spent the same effort posting this salty reply as you would with constructive reply.

Hi there. Anyone tried some HDEO in their bikes with any success? Where i work i can get HDEO for real cheap and it is Mobil Delvac XHP ESP 10W-40. My Kawasaki ZZR600 calls for 10w-40 oil so viscosity matches, but Delvac carries JASO DH-2 approval and not JASO MA-2 which bikes need. I heard that some people run Rotella in their bikes and it works good, but that oil is not available in my country unless i buy it online.

There are posts that we have on here to help you answer your question.
Are you instead looking for answers regarding this particular oil?
Are you instead looking for answers regarding worthwhile specifications?

Last edited by a moderator:
No worries, i got the answers i needed already from other members. The question was about if it was safe to use HDEO in motorbikes since bikes share oil with trans and got wet clutch, and also not being JASO MA-2 approved.

Since our government regulators have changed the rules regarding diesel oils VS oils approved for gasoline motor use, the oil companies are no longer permitted to list gasoline quality specifications on oils markedted for diesels. The supposed problem was higher than permitted anti-wear additives that might reduce smog device efficiency. The additive packages for the diesel oils were reduced some too. So, JASO-MA should not be found on HDEO lables that have been released of quite some time now. The HDEO should still be just fine for such use, but that puts us without the MA rating. Way back before Shell started listing Rotella 15/40 as JASO-MA, one of their involved employees was a member of GL1800Riders.com. He noticed our members there talking up rotella for Goldwings. He said he used it too. We asked if it would meet JASO-MA. He checked into it and said the Rotella HDEO products available then far exceeded anything required for old JASO-MA rating, which is a very basic rating. Next thing you know, then new containers came out with meedt or exceed JASO-MA. There were also then other gasoline motor oil ratings on it, but now all of that disallowed. That is how I unerstand it. My 2002, now my son's, has way over 125,000 miles and that is all we used and used in it. My 2018 Glodwing Tour DCT uses HDEO and too.

prs

There aren't many "honest" Jaso MA motorcycle oils out there either. The list just means the company filed with Jaso that it meets certain criteria, I dont think Jaso actually tests the oil.
So it really depends on brand and the Jaso approved list if you are looking for "honest' most of the time that means sticking to Manufacturer branded oil or 20w50 Valvoline weight but read below ..
A lot of the stuff on the list is sold overseas.

HOWEVER, if you want a full Jaso "Listed" Motorcycle oil then simply get the mercury marine Quicksilver 10w40 motorcycle oil and you are done! Simple! Dont give it any other thought if Jaso "listed" oil is what you want.

Well respected Mecury Marine Quicksilver Lubricants, American Company and has two Jaso MA2 listed full synthetic motorcycle oils 10/40 and 20/50 add to that the price is a bargain compared to anything else out there.

Here you go if you want to stick to the "book" of listed oils - Click

FYI, personally for me, any "C Rated" HEDO in the 15/40 to 15/50 to 20/50 oil is perfectly fine, as well as an Motorcycle labeled oil and any oil that states is meets Jaso specs
Its really not rocket science but can understand the concern or people who want to do the right thing, been there, done that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dnewton3
I've used conventional Rotella 15w-40 in my bikes for years. Goldwings back then. Victory 106/6 now. (both are shared sump) Never an issue with wear rates or the clutches. I will use it in my new-to-me 2007 DR650 as well.

Same here, even going back before it had the JASO MA, 2003 Yamaha WR250, 2011 Yamaha WR450, 2004 YFZ450 quad, 2006 YZ450, a couple of different Yamaha FJR1300's, a couple of different Victory 106's, 78 Honda 750, 78 Suzuki GS1000, my 2003 Yamaha Grizzly 660, 2007 FZ1, 2016 DR650, all shared sump, wet clutch, no issues.

OP: Honest question. And yes. You can use heavy duty diesel oil in your bike. Rotella conventional and synthetic T6 are very VERY popular in the metric motorcycle world and have been used by tens of thousands of folks with out any issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back