HDEO in high mileage pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a "newbie," so am still learning (quite a lot) by reading this site. I have a '91 Chev 1500 reg. cab pickup with 126K actual miles on the 4.3L V-6 motor and have most recently been running Supertech dino 10W30 with the Supertech filter, but I've been getting a good wiff of blue smoke on cold start ups, which quickly dissipates and the truck does not seem to be burning any oil at all between 2500 mile OCIs. I did add a can of CD2 "No Smoke" (hey, what can I say, but that I'm a "newbie?"), and this effectively stopped the whiff of blue smoke at cold start-up for about 800 miles after the oil change, but now it's back. Like I said, the truck doesn't really "consume" any (as per dip stick checkings) to speak of, except for this bit of seepage past the rings when parked and shut down, and it has excellent compression, idling, and accelertion. Would switching to an HDEO like Delo 400 or Rotella do me any good at all at this point, or do any of you even see any reason to do so?

Bringing this one back up to the top.

I own a similar truck and am currently debating on what oil to use on the next OCI...lets hear what you have to say!

Valve Seals.... A known problem with this engine. Auto-Rx has helped some and also you can run any 15W-40 HDEO or Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 if you live in a cold climate.

If it was mine I would try the Auto-Rx first.

Gene

An older GM 4.3 in a temperate climate like Olympia, WA. 15W-40 Delo 400 is perfect. I had one of these engines in a 1994 and it used oil from brand new. Valve seals should not be bad on a new engine, but is supposedly had "low tension" rings for fuel efficiency.

Why change anything? It is running well and other than a "puff" on startup you are fine. Stay with the current program.

Ugly3 ...I always get a kick out of your "if man were meant to fly, he'd have wings"
nono.gif
disposition. I do, admire your devotion to your beliefs (big smile)
smile.gif
grin.gif
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back