hd shotgun...non buckshot load for defense?

hi! while taking care of a task outside my usual stomping area I stopped into a local bang-bang shop...I came home with a basic Maverick 88 12ga Defender (18.5" cylinder bore barrel, 5-shot tube, FDE furniture); paid a bit over $300 (not the best but it's an out of the way spot)...

I've been thinking about what to load it with...less than buckshot yet more than low brass target loads (connected townhouse with shared walls); the shop had Federal 12ga #4 heavy field load & I grabbed a few boxes:

please offer feedback...just note that buckshot is an absolute 'society has gone to hell' consideration due to my home's shared walls

Turkey load
thanks! thought of that...last time I shot some the recoil definitely hurt reloading & regaining aim on target (Remington 3" Nitro Turkey #5); wanted similar payload without all the recoil...

For defense inside a home there is nothing wrong with 2 3/4" #6 Pheasant loads. Even in a cylinder bore barrel they wont spread more than a softball size inside 7 or 8 yds and will knock down anything, wearing anything on 2 legs. And your recovery time will be much faster. Its always good to have confidence in your load so go to a safe place with a couple cinder blocks. Shoot 1 with a 9mm and the other with #6 shot from the longest range inside your house Wear shooting glasses and let us know what you think. Big shot is for long range where you may only get 2 or 3 hits on target and need to carry the energy at short range you will get the whole 1 1/8 oz at 1200 fps.
Edit: and probably the wad too.

I bought the same shotgun a month or so ago.
Saw Pew Pew Tactical sorta recommend Federal #4 buckshot if you‘re worried about thin walls.

I think that almost any shot size would suffice for the intended in home defense. Personally, I would not go with smaller than #5 birdshot. I don't think that anything larger than #6 or #7 1/2 bird shot is likely to be found in a "low brass" load.

In buckshot, I think that #2 or #3 buck is a better choice than the common 12 ga. 00 buck loads. Much more shot and still a lot of retained energy.
#2 buck is nearly twice the diameter of #2 bird shot. (.27 in. vs. .15 in.)

Better to hit em with a flyswatter than miss em with a canon. Anything coming out the business end will have a serious deterring effect. Number 4's shouldn't be a major problem with shared walls so long as the whole pattern isn't hitting the wall. A whole pattern of about anything won't be good in that case. Have fun testing.

Bean bag round

THe US military uses this round. It will also mark the victim with the green powder also.

Bean bag round

THe US military uses this round. It will also mark the victim with the green powder also.
Defending my home against someone that's already inside isn't the place for a less lethal round IMO. Especially when geeked out people have been known to shake off hits from less lethal and keep coming. Maybe as a first round, but after that, it is time to move on to making them leak.

lots of utube videos don’t object to birdshot for home defense. my 20ga is loaded with #5 gameshot. it is paired with a 38sp. given my humble suburban lifestyle i don’t expect the taliban or los zetos or crips to break in anytime soon. if one’s home defense area of operations is an apex predator frequented rural or urban locale then more power is obviously needed.

Interesting topic. I never thought about walls for home defense since I live in a private home. #8 in my 12 gauge should do the trick with ease.

00 buck in LE reduced load. Quite effective without the punishing recoil. The LE slug is not near as brutal on the shoulder either.
Select your poison and pattern it on a paper target so you know the impact size at the range you will be shooting.
MHO
Smoky

As previously mentioned…9 shot. A light load will ensure that there are no penetrations in walls making others collateral damage. If the need arises to defend yourself, family, and property the 9 shot will scatter more making your shot very effective. An intruder with 9 shot in their eyes, face, guts, groin, and/or ass and back will be incapacitated.

EDIT: Try all the loads mentioned against a sheet of sacrificial plywood. Fire from a distance such as the width of your bedroom. See which load has the most effective spread along with the least penetration. My guess is you will choose the light load 9 shot especially with family in the home and living with shared walls.

Last edited:
hi! while taking care of a task outside my usual stomping area I stopped into a local bang-bang shop...I came home with a basic Maverick 88 12ga Defender (18.5" cylinder bore barrel, 5-shot tube, FDE furniture); paid a bit over $300 (not the best but it's an out of the way spot)...

I've been thinking about what to load it with...less than buckshot yet more than low brass target loads (connected townhouse with shared walls); the shop had Federal 12ga #4 heavy field load & I grabbed a few boxes:

please offer feedback...just note that buckshot is an absolute 'society has gone to hell' consideration due to my home's shared walls
I would use the shells you have with confidence. Each shell will have 200 or perhaps considerable more pellets. That should do the job and not penetrate shared walls. http://shotshell.drundel.com/pelletcount.htm

Your load is good. As you should be concerned about shared walls. You're only looking at 2 layers of drywall to penetrate for the shot payload to get where it doesn't need to be. (Assuming you fire into a shared wall).

At most any range inside the average size dwelling, even bird shot will take someone out of a fight quickly. There is very little spread at 10 or 12 feet. Just take a box of Trap loads out to the range, and shoot some water filled bottles at in house ranges, and you'll see quickly how very effective even target loads can be at closer ranges.

Back