Haynes manual: very helpful

I like how they show an illustration on how to use a puller... going into holes that their own photo show as not existing.
1689897713743.jpg

Now I remember why I didn't bother with the crank seal last time... what should slide off... doesn't.
1689897753172.jpg

Have yet to figure out how to get behind the tone wheel, far enough back, to pry. Given how it's dry here though I think whatever is leaking, is everywhere else. Time to pull the oil pump, replace its seal, and life with the results.

Amateur tip: use a black sharpie to mark the old belt, then try to find the marks to mark the new belt. Fun. Note to self: next time, buy a paint marker...

In fairness to Haynes, that picture with the puller is straight out of the factory service manual. Toyota messed that up 25 years ago
Ok, I'll give them the pass then, and give Toyota two fails: I think I see my oil leak. For some reason the o-ring on the oil-pump is on the block, and of course the o-ring is a complex shape. I probably never had it quite correct. My fault, or bad design? given how often this engine leaks oil...

1689899335116.jpg

I also found the lower bolt was loose, now that one is definitely my fault.

Wow, that’s a very accessible oil pump. Can you try gently prying on the sprocket with a flathead? This HF puller is also very inexpensive. Lube the bolts a little.

Looks like you might have had the o-ring in backwards. Its been a few years since I have done a 5S-FE but I recall the o-ring only fits in the groove one way even though it appears symmetrical. I usually use a couple dabs of vaseline to hold it.
It's possible... when I did that, it probably was getting dark. If so, then backwards was close enough, been that way for almost 7 years and 110k.

Put some grease into the groove, held it in place, back in place. Think I got it all lined up, probably goobered up the o-ring on the water pump this time, but it should be much easier the third time...

Have to wait until tomorrow, rounded one bolt off, need a replacement (on the water pump, oil pump is back in). Well, snapped a bolt for the cover too but eh, with any luck this will be the last time I do this job.

Wow, that’s a very accessible oil pump. Can you try gently prying on the sprocket with a flathead? This HF puller is also very inexpensive. Lube the bolts a little.

That's the problem--there's no tapped holes for those bolts to go into. I'm sure that, if there is a will (and a replacement sprocket), then there is a way. But I don't think my oil leak was from the this o-ring, so, going to let it slide again.

Last edited:
Reactions: D60
I avoid Haynes for any car after the 80's unless nothing else is available.
I remember being disappointed in the Bentley(?) manual for my VW. I think it would state what special tool I needed, but would not give me a p/n for the bolt nor part. While I realize p/n's get superceeded, having a number to start from would be helpful.

I suspect in the end there's no good reason to buy a book, one really needs to buy into an online service, then it's always up to date. Just a bridge too far for me now, on this old car. Maybe on the next one.

Looks like you might have had the o-ring in backwards. Its been a few years since I have done a 5S-FE but I recall the o-ring only fits in the groove one way even though it appears symmetrical. I usually use a couple dabs of vaseline to hold it.

I was also going to mention that they will definitely need something to hold that oring in.

This one got me through an engine rebuild and numerous other procedures on my 93 Tercel and it continues to help. It is not perfect but close enough to get the job done. The experience may be different on newer vehicles. Has more value ever been extracted from a single book? 🤪View attachment 168269
The only Haynes manual I ever had was the one for my '72 Yamaha CS5. It's pretty much the only manual that was available at the time. But really, how much tech info do you need for an old two smoke; just a simple wiring diagram, torque and measurement specs and instructions on how to adjust the oil injection system.

In fairness to Haynes, that picture with the puller is straight out of the factory service manual. Toyota messed that up 25 years ago
However, Haynes manuals used to claim that every manual was based on an actual teardown and reassembly of each car. If so, they should have caught the discrepancy between their teardown and the drawing they included.

I bought Haynes and Chilton manuals back in the 70's as a teen that thought with the book the curse of two left thumbs could be overcome. Don't recall now what vehicles. I enjoyed reading them, imagining actually accomplishing things they spoke of. Now the closest they come to my 2023 Escape is 2001-2017 Escape so no joy at all.

I bought Haynes and Chilton manuals back in the 70's as a teen that thought with the book the curse of two left thumbs could be overcome. Don't recall now what vehicles. I enjoyed reading them, imagining actually accomplishing things they spoke of. Now the closest they come to my 2023 Escape is 2001-2017 Escape so no joy at all.
Ha ha! I can totally relate to your comments except for the Escape sentence!

I suspect in the end there's no good reason to buy a book, one really needs to buy into an online service, then it's always up to date. Just a bridge too far for me now, on this old car. Maybe on the next one.
I used my wife's public library login to get Alldata or a similar service to locate the AC amplifier (computer) in her '19 Prius. It was free and just what the doctor ordered.

Back