Havoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by vad:
... don't stress yourself over motor oil...

That's a **** of a thing to say to a member of BITOG...
grin.gif

i'm not saying it makes castrol gtx better.but i wonder why so many import dealers will only use castrol?are they paid?

quote:

Originally posted by gj:
i'm not saying it makes castrol gtx better.but i wonder why so many import dealers will only use castrol?are they paid?

quite often: yes. either directly or by way of reduced costs, co-paid advertising or other means. In the case of dealers, it can be dictated by the manufacturer under licensing agreements.

Almost every maker of automoblies that "recommends" a particular oil, filter or whatever is in a cross-marketing deal. All of the original Mobil 1 factory fills were cross-marketing deals.

I wish my local Wal-Marts didn't have such a small supply of Havoline. They only have like two grades, in quarts only, no large jugs,
frown.gif
. They use to carry it in large containers though. Another thumbsdown to Wal-Mart.

followup and veering a bit OT:

and example of cross-marketing:

a computer maker that I used to work for placed "Intel Inside" labels on every CPU that contained an Intel processor. Intel paid for the labels and $0.50 (iirc) per CPU that the got them. Intel had to approve where we placed them, too.

We placed flyers inside the box stating things like "XXXX recommends YYY floppies", or coupons for software discounts. We got the flyers free and were paid a few pennies for every box that we shipped with the flyer inside. We preloaded games and other junk software and were paid a small amount by the software maker.

As long as they paid us, we recommended their product. Don't pay, we don't recommend.

No I am told it is not Warren Performance Products either; I understand it is the Warren/Coastal of North Carolina/Memphis(old Coastal Unilube facility). I agree 2 Warrens in the finished oil biz IS confusing.

I prefer oils from major companies that have a lot to loose by cutting corners or poor QC on the products (read: litigation target$). Certainly the independent/small company stuff can be OK---most of it is I'd bet, but why bother with a product that is trying to "trick" you into thinking it is something it is not. I admit I have a bias, but I have some basis to know..."your milage may vary" as they say.

http://www.lubereport.com/e_article000217542.cfm?x=a2v3QR2,a1rVd2ks

Ok, look
If you want to use Havoline, just buy the brand name stuff. It's not like you are going to save a hole he77 of a lot of money anyway.
Besides, wouldn't you rather be 100% sure you are getting the real deal. I know for a fact that Napa branded oil which is repackaged Valoline has a lesser add pack than Valvoline because the guy at Valvolines tech line told me this. Basically, the store brand stuff is the botton of the barrell crap that the brand name companies use to make money in some way, so it's pawned off and sold as the el'cheepo stuff.

Is the high mileag Havoline as good as the conventional? It would be the same add pack right?

Picked up 8 more qts of Havoline 5w-20. $1.98qt. I know have around 22qts of it. All from 4/05 to 7/05. After my M1 supply, I'll be using this.

I'm mossad, but for some reason ended up with a new member name when my password got hosed.
I actually ended up going with the Mobile Clean 5000 in my other car and hope it's a good choice as well as the Havoline.

"A $3 savings at each oil change is a price difference of $300 over a 100 oil changes. If you don't think $300 is a lot of money, I'll PM you my address and you can send me a check."

wow...100x3000miles=300,000miles worth of oil changes or 500 quarts of oil...do you stock up that much at a time???

Quote:
------
I'm mossad, but for some reason ended up with a new member name when my password got hosed.

Mossad

An email to the administrator here would of retrieved your old password. Also.... you don't have to keep the password BITOG gives you. You can go into your personal profile & change it to a familiar one.

"mossad" (aka grbr95) indicated his member name had been changed on him, NOT his password. The member name cannot be changed according the legend in the profile section, though a member can change his password at will.

mechtech,

If you are really hurtin' for some Havoline 5W-20 and can get to Gilberts, IL (Schaumburg)... let me know.

I frequently travel to Gilberts and can bring you some bootleg from Wisconsin.

cheers.gif

Triple_Se7en, he stated his name somehow got changed as well(He did not make a new one). Also Note the join date, massad 'oct. '05'-- grbr95 'july '05'.

Somehow he managed to get a different members name.

Massad, notify a mod or admin of your problem, they'll get it straightened out.

I might..but don't really care I guess. I just noticed the change and wrote down my new name and password. no biggy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back