Havoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to start using Havoline, and wonder if it is better than Castrol GTX conventional?
Only problem I have is that I can not find Havoline high mileage in 5/30 (only 10/30). Why doesn't Auto Zone or Advance seem to stock the entire range of weights? Anyone else have this problem?

Ask a store manager at Advance Auto they can special order the correct viscosity for you. As for which oil is better, we would have to spend thousands of dollars and have lot's of time to answer that question. You just can not say one of the big oil companies products are really better than the others without extensive costly testing.

both oils are good.

i'm reluctant to claim that one is better than the other b/c i've used both and they all work well.

I've used both with good results. I'm biased towards Havoline. Used Castrol and Havoline in same vehicles for the same intervals. Havoline no matter what the weight, never burned off. Castrol on the other hand did have burn off. As far as the additive packages go, from my research Havoline does appear to have a better dose of additives.

Well, Havoline is about $1.60/qt right now at Walmart, and Castrol GTX is only $0.99/qt at Kragen's, so you're saving 30% by using Castrol instead.

Example Calculations:
Castrol GTX @3000 mi. OCIs
$1*5=$5
$2.07 Filter
$7.07 Total

Havoline
$1.6*5=$8
$2.07 filter
$10.07 total

A $3 savings at each oil change is a price difference of $300 over a 100 oil changes. If you don't think $300 is a lot of money, I'll PM you my address and you can send me a check.

Mike

I also want to use the Havoline Syn blend in my van, but once again, no 5/30.. duhhhhhh.
I mean, I'm not going to use an oil that I have to special order for *** sakes. It's absolutely stupid that a store will carry a brand, but not the full range of oil weights. give me a break!

mossad, don't stress yourself over motor oil...
The differences among the brands or oil weights are not that great, you know...
welcome.gif

I mean, I'm not going to use an oil that I have to special order for *** sakes. It's absolutely stupid that a store will carry a brand, but not the full range of oil weights. give me a break!

Its probably a slow selling oil in that particular store. I have seen Havoline HM in all the Advance Auto stores in my area. When AutoZone had the Havoline Synthetic oils on clearance for $1, I noticed the bottles very dusty. If it doesn't sell good, they won't carry it.

I've used the regular Havoline 10W30 in my Grand Prix since it was new and now have 299,500 miles on it with no oil related or engine troubles. I swore off Castrol in the early 80's due to gummed up lifters and that vehicle was the only time I have not used Havoline since 1970.
I'm changing oil in the GP next week and taking a sample. The last oil analysis was at 265,000.
What do you consider high mileage?

Wow wlkjr!!! I'd consider your car to be high mileage. Makes me wonder why I even bother with high mileage oil when I hear examples like yours.
Do you have any oil seapage or moisutre on the motor? I do on my Chev Lumina, but I wonder if I would still be fine not using high mileage. I really wonder if the HM will prolong my engine seals or not.

quote:

Originally posted by Michael Wan:
Well, Havoline is about $1.60/qt right now at Walmart, and Castrol GTX is only $0.99/qt at Kragen's, so you're saving 30% by using Castrol instead.

Example Calculations:
Castrol GTX @3000 mi. OCIs
$1*5=$5
$2.07 Filter
$7.07 Total

Havoline
$1.6*5=$8
$2.07 filter
$10.07 total

A $3 savings at each oil change is a price difference of $300 over a 100 oil changes. If you don't think $300 is a lot of money, I'll PM you my address and you can send me a check.

Mike

I purchased my last case of Havoline for $0.89/quart at Checkers. There also was a mail-in rebate which brought the price down to $0.49/quart.

quote:

Originally posted by mechtech:
I can't find Havoline 5-20 anywhere.
I'd like some for the winter. 5-30 is pretty common, though.

Around here the 5w20 weight is sold at Autozone, and Advance Auto Parts. $1.58

Advance Auto told me their house brand is filled with Havoline. They stock it right next to the Havoline brand and it is in red/black containers as well. Does the housebrand have a lesser add pack. I know for a fact that Napa branded oil is actually Valvoline and it in fact does have less additive than the Valvoline branded stuff, and I know this because the tech line told me this was the case.

Mossad,
Check the packaging to see who it's made by, then get a VOA done on it.
smile.gif

Mike

I'm not going to take it that far, but was only curious to know if anyone else knows of Advance brand having a lesser add pack than the Havoline brand? As I stated, Napa is actually Valvoline oil and it DOES have less additive than Valvoline branded Valvoline

mossad, I have very little oil leakage on the GP and don't add any between 5000 mile changes. I do commute 50 miles to work, which is down from the 72 the first three years I owned the car. I have always had good luck with Havoline and that's what I'm going to stick with. If it was $1.00 a quart more I'd still buy it because I believe in it and it's never let me down. I can afford the few extra cents it might cost per qt. I don't have any experience with any other oil except for that 1 time I used Castrol, but my ex-wife did use Pennzoil in her 88 Jimmy and it had 180,000 on it when she left and the only thing we ever did to it was an alternator that the bearings went bad in.
I put Havoline in my daughter's 90 Buick Century and it has 249,000 miles on it with no internal problems.
I'm sure some of the other oils are very good oils also, but I'm hooked on the Havoline.

"Advance Auto told me their house brand is filled with Havoline. They stock it right next to the Havoline brand and it is in red/black containers as well."

ABSOLEUTLY *NOT* TRUE. It is NOT Havoline and is NOT made by Chevron.

I think it is made by Warren/Coastal.

Check the bottom of the bottle. If you find "WPP" molded into the plastic, it's probably from Warren Performance Products division of Warren Distribution out of Nebraska. Having two entirely unrelated oil blenders sharing the name "Warren" is very confusing. Warren Performance Products also blends much SuperTech conventional as well as all SuperTech syn-blend and full syn. The company's own national brand is MAG1. Warren/Coastal probably supplies the house brands to both Autozone and Advance Auto. I'm unsure of its quality, but if forced to choose, I'd personally tend to trust the blends from WPP to a greater degree since WPP is more forthcoming in their online conventional product and 5W-30 material safety data sheets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back