Havoline Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the way out this morning I stopped off at Advance Auto Parts (new chain up here in the N.E.)and they had quite a good selection of motor oils. Havoline dino, blend and synth in every viscosity, M1 in every vis, Mobil Drive Clean Plus, every variation and vis of Pennzoil, Valvoline, QS and Castrol you can imagine. Slightly higher than Wally World prices on most of the stuff, but not by much. For instance, Pennzoil dino is 1.44 / qt. and M1 is $4.78 / qt (a penny more than Wally). The only thing they had in 5 qt. jugs was dino Havoline in 10w-30.

On a whim, I picked up a case of Havoline synthetic (not the blend) 5w-30 at $3.78/qt. Now that my F150 is out of warranty I think I'm going to give it a try using a 7500 mile drain interval. I would be very surprised if this oil can't hold up to that given the amount of interstate driving I do. Chevron Supreme dino did very well for me at almost a 5,000 mile interval so I'm expecting significantly better performance from this synth.

I'll use up the remainder of my Chevron Supreme dino on the new Pathfinder then at around the 10,000 mile mark perhaps I'll swith it over to the Havoline synth also (pending a favorable UOA from my F150).

One part of me says I'm nuts for messing with the success of Chevron Sup dino given the very good UOA (and the price) but another side of me wants to satisfy this weird curiosity and urge to try different motor oils and see how they compare in the lab results.

I blame all you people for my new eccentricities
pat.gif
wink.gif

Mikep

One part of me says I'm nuts for messing with the success of Chevron Sup dino given the very good UOA (and the price) but another side of me wants to satisfy this weird curiosity and urge to try different motor oils and see how they compare in the lab results.
-----------------------

Mikeup,

I saw you mentioned that you've used a "Chevron soup" with good results; I'm currently running a Chevron dino "soup", too in my 97 ford 4.6L sohc.
My soup is 3 qts of 10/30 plus 2 qts of 10/40.
..what kind of "sup" did you use? just curious.

thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by 97tbird:
..what kind of "sup" did you use? just curious.

thanks.

Sorry if I mislead you. I didn't mean to suggest that I conjured up any mix. I was just being a bit lazy by not typing out Chevron Supreme (Chevron Sup). BTW...I've been using the 5w-30 version.

sbc350 and Pepper.....ever do a an analysis of the Havoline or Chevron synth from your vehicle? If so, would love to hear about it.

Mikep

quote:

Originally posted by mikep:
-*-*-

I'd say why not keep what is working and on the new one give the other a try?

quote:

Originally posted by Robbie Alexander:
I'd say why not keep what is working and on the new one give the other a try?

I thought of that too. Actually, it was the first thought to use the new stuff on the Pathfinder but since it is still under factory warranty I don't want to extend the drain past the 3,750 miles scheduled maintenace. I just feel it would be a waste of $$ to drain the synth that soon.

Ah geez, I should just save my darn $$ and stick with the darn Chevron Supreme (or Havoline) in both vehicles. LOL, I'm making myself nuts over motor oil
pat.gif
banghead.gif

Mikep

Mikep, is this Havoline synthetic a group III or is it PAO or a combo of something? Considering with NJ sales tax you paid $4.01/qt. I had Schaeffer's 5W-30 Blend delivered to my door recently for $4.00/qt
smile.gif
. Schaeffer's 5W-30 blend is group III and PAO
grin.gif
. For all practical purposes it's more "synthetic" than most commonly available "synthetics" which are group III's. And it's additive package is supposed to be real good.

Whimsey

quote:

Originally posted by Whimsey:
Mikep, is this Havoline synthetic a group III or is it PAO or a combo of something? Considering with NJ sales tax you paid $4.01/qt. I had Schaeffer's 5W-30 Blend delivered to my door recently for $4.00/qt
smile.gif
. Schaeffer's 5W-30 blend is group III and PAO
grin.gif
. For all practical purposes it's more "synthetic" than most commonly available "synthetics" which are group III's. And it's additive package is supposed to be real good.

Whimsey

Point taken. After thinking more about it I'm less and less thrilled with my impulse buy on the Havoline Synth. I'll probably swing by the store one day this week and exchange it for a stash of Havoline dino 5w-30 and 5w-20. I want to give the 5w-20 a try in my truck based on TD's advice that that the 5w-20s seem to be pretty shear stable.

Mikep

Mikep, it will be interesting to see how the Havoline 5W-20 dino does this winter in your truck. Especially with the "piston slap" condition you experienced last year. Word has it that to appease the "piston slap" gods you should get together at a strange place called "Shakey Jakes" and share a few
cheers.gif
and pray like h*ll for a warm winter.
grin.gif

Whimsey
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Whimsey:
.... and pray like h*ll for a warm winter.
grin.gif

Whimsey
wink.gif

I do that every autumn but it doens't seem to have worked well for me. Maybe because I left out the
cheers.gif
component?

Mikep

quote:

Originally posted by sHERM:
Go to Big Lots and pick up the Havoline Syn for $ 1.99 at that price you can change it at 5k.
patriot.gif

But the airfare to sunny Florida would add a bit to the overall expense
grin.gif
. We don't have Big Lots stores around here. We do have a store called Odd Job which I suspect is sort of the same thing but I've never seen Chevron or Havoline motor oils there. I have seen Shell, Amoco and I think Citgo oils there.

Mikep

I say try a little strange, give the synth a spin. I am trying M1 10w30 in my F150 for the first time, I'll probably try a couple different types and brands over the next year with UOA's for no other reason than my own curiosity. I'd like to eventually test Amsoil, Schaeffer, M1, Chevron Sup and Pennz LL just to make my own observations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back