Texaco/Havoline Spec Change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
GeorgeCLS: Shell kept the formulas for all Texaco lubricants. They are producing the industrial oils but they are using the Shell name. They are only using the Texaco name on the Havoline products.

You are correct about the Castrol users being a loyal bunch. You have to give Castrol credit for the job they have done. They just have a great marketing department in New Jersey, some very good attorneys, and some good oil companies making some good products for them.

quote:

Originally posted by jjbula:

quote:

Originally posted by Johnny:
GeorgeCLS:[/bYou are correct about the Castrol users being a loyal bunch. You have to give Castrol credit for the job they have done. They just have a great marketing department in New Jersey, some very good attorneys, and some good oil companies making some good products for them.

Of Course, Castrol GTX gives you maximum protection against thermal and viscosity breakdown.
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ssmokn:
I emailed Chevron Tech. from their website and asked them if the Chevron Supreme 100% Synthetic and it's Havoline counterpart was PAO or Group III base. I also asked if the Chevron oil was the same as the Havoline (since I can usually find one or the other but not always both unless I go to my local distributor).

The response was except for the artic grade 0W30 all their synthetics are Group III based oils.

They also stated that the Chevron and Havoline oils are different formulations but 100% compatible in all ways.

Interesting, because I emailed Chevron asking them what basestocks they used in their Supreme and Supreme Synthetic oils and they said Chevron Supreme Synthetic has PAO basestocks. This was in April. They have good chemists to post the great specs on Chevron Supreme Synthetic with PAO basestocks. They'd have to have magicians to get specs that great with group III basestocks.

Jay,

I'm just relaying the info. I got in response to my inquiry. I have no idea if it is true or not.

I'd be happy to forward you the email if your interested in seeing the reply. Let me know.

I called 1-800-walmart today and gave the store number asking that they stock the new Texaco synthetic. The lady on the phone said she would see what they could do,took my phone number and said they would contact me within 3 business days with word if it could be done or not.

I want to use it in my Mothers Grand Marquis,,if not,I'm changing it to one of Synergyn's oils but will wait to see how the analysis of Pennzoil and Synergyn additive turns out first.

I was wrong in my earlier post,they had just rearranged and have plenty of the Havoline in stock

[ August 06, 2002, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

dunno.gif
As Shell or Chevron, is one considered better than the other? I can find both on my shelves here. What was the conclusion on Havoline synthetic, Group Fluid III or POA?
pat.gif

In the Target store in Longview, Tx, yesterday, I saw Havoline dino, all weights(5w30-20w50), at $.99/qt. All SL rated, & all said Chevron-Texaco on the back of the bottle.
grin.gif
So, if any of you are Havoline fans, check your local Target store!

BTW: The Havoline SL dino at WallyWorld all says Equilon on the back.
dunno.gif

I confirmed via telephone the Texaco Synthetic is a group III and they have no immediate plans for a PAO or other oil. Chevron included.

How on earth do they get such high flash points and low pour points with group 3 though? That is pretty amazing.

Now wait a minute:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. CHEMICAL PRODUCT AND COMPANY IDENTIFICATION

CHEVRON Supreme Synthetic Motor Oil

PRODUCT NUMBER(S): CPS210447 CPS220112 CPS220129 CPS220141
SYNONYM: CHEVRON Supreme Synthetic Motor Oil SAE 10W-30
CHEVRON Supreme Synthetic Motor Oil SAE 15W-50
CHEVRON Supreme Synthetic Motor Oil SAE 5W-30
CHEVRON Supreme Synthetic Motor Oil SAE 5W-40

COMPANY IDENTIFICATION EMERGENCY TELEPHONE NUMBERS

ChevronTexaco Global Lubricants HEALTH (24 hr): (800)231-0623 or
6001 Bollinger Canyon Rd (510)231-0623 (International)
TRANSPORTATION (24 hr): CHEMTREC
San Ramon, CA 94583 (800)424-9300 or (703)527-3887
www.chevron-lubricants.com Emergency Information Centers
are located in U.S.A.
Int'l collect calls accepted

PRODUCT INFORMATION: MSDS Request: (800)414-6737
email: [email protected]
Product Information: (800)LUBE-TEK

2. COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS

100.0 % CHEVRON Supreme Synthetic Motor Oil

CONTAINING

COMPONENTS AMOUNT LIMIT/QTY AGENCY/TYPE

SYNTHETIC HYDROCARBON BASE OIL
Chemical Name: 1-DECENE, HOMOPOLYMER, HYDROGENATED
CAS68037014 > 55.00% NONE NA

OR

ISOSYN BASE OILS
5 mg/m3 (mist) ACGIH TWA
10 mg/m3 (mist) ACGIH STEL
5 mg/m3 (mist) OSHA PEL

DECANOIC ACID, ESTER
Chemical Name: DECANOIC ACID, ESTER WITH 2ETHYL2(HYDROXYMETHYL)1,3 PROPANE
CAS11138606 < 15.00% NONE NA

ADDITIVES INCLUDING THE FOLLOWING
< 30.00%

ZINC ALKYL DITHIOPHOSPHATE
Chemical Name: PHOSPHORODITHIOIC ACID,O,O-DI-C1-14-ALKYL ESTERS, ZINC SALT
CAS68649423 < 2.00% NONE NA

COMPOSITION COMMENT:
All the components of this material are on the Toxic Substances Control
Act Chemical Substances Inventory.

This product fits the ACGIH definition for mineral oil mist. The ACGIH
TLV is 5 mg/m3, the OSHA PEL is 5 mg/m3.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is still showing a 55% PAO and a 15% ester, and some Group III with a ZDDP additive.

What is confusing is the "OR" statement between the PAO and the ISOSYN line.

Is there a later sheet for the Chevron Supreme Synthetic Motor Oil?

At the site all the Chevron data is dated 8/31/2001 while the Texaco info is dated 7/25/2002

I wonder if another person was to call if they would recieve the same info?

He seemed adament that they were staying with the group III forumaltions

So who knows,the Chevron and the Texaco might be the same stuff in a different bottle when it hits the racks,,still have not seen either in Oklahoma

I do not think that a group III any brand is that much better than the Mobil Drive Clean,Pennzoil Purbase,Chevron Supreme oils for the money spent. Might get another 1k of drain interval and a slight NOACK advantage but? These oils on paper definatley look better than the Shell Blend I posted
Correct me if I am wrong,I am here to learn,ears open
smile.gif

Seems the field of OTC best for the money AND the car dino oils have narrowed

[ August 17, 2002, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

Of course, they could change the formula at a moments notice.
confused.gif

I too do not think the Group III has enough price/performace to make me go out and buy it!
grin.gif

I think some of the group III base oils are getting so good that - as someone said on another post - It is performance that counts in the end.
As for the MSDS info and specs, With all the reformulations of Texaco and the writing of specs, probably with two dozen lawyers and marketing people signing off on each, they are way behind. The Supreme Synthetic 15w50 has been replaced with a 5w40, and they have told me there is no spec sheet yet.

Widman,you must be correct because I just saw the data sheet on the Phillips HDD II 10/30 oil. It seems better than their own Trop Artic formulation. I have posted if you care to read about it.
Phillips and Conoco being Oklahoma companies I have heard many success stories about the Phillips oils,,never ever heard of anyone using the Conoco oil in my 45 years of living here
I remember Johnny speaking simalar of another area. Oklahoma has seemed to always be a Pennzoil,Mobil Dino,Texaco Havoline, Phillips bunch of users in that order. Deep Rock/turned Kerr McGee oil was popular years back as was Champlin. When a guy got his hands on some DA Speed Sport or Amalie he was somthing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back