Thin out Havoline Synthetic 5W-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently I added (thanks to AZ blow out)to my oil warehouse of GC, Mobil 1, Torco, and Lucas with Havoline Synthetic 5W-30 and Maxlife 5W-30 synthetic. Have since added Pennzoil Platinum thanks to Pep Boys $15 MC "rebate"

Anyway, my sons 2002 Focus 2.0L dohc has been run mostly on 0w-20 and 5W-20 oils, except for a run on GC.

My question is (finally..LOL), while the Havoline is fine for my other vehicles, I have so much of it I want to use some this summer in my sons car.If I want to "thin" it....3.5 qts of Havoline 5W-30 or so and 1 qt.??? (if necessary at all)what oil would you recommend and ratio?

I have Mobil 1 0W-20, Superflo 5W-20, Lucas 5W-20 and Motorcraft 5W-20...or I can buy whatever/ Thanks in advance

BTW viscosity of Havoline synthetic 5W-30 @100 is 10.5

link

[ March 21, 2005, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

Personally I would just run it as is in the Focus. I have some in my '03 V-6 Accord right now which previously only ran 5W-20s. Fuel economy and performance seem to be as good or better than it was with the 5W-20 conventional oils previously used.

Just run it in the summer months and don't worry about it! In fact run it anytime of year and don't worry.

John

Gee, I have had it wrong all this time. I always thought you bought engine oil to go in an engine, but no, you buy oil and find an engine to put it in. Right $5,000 engine and $2.00 oil, which rules? The $2.00 Oil.
dunno.gif

You could thin it by mixing in one or two quarts of straight 10w oil, which should be available at NAPA stores. Use the viscosity blending calculator to come up with the final viscosity. I think the 100C viscosity of the NAPA 10w is around 6.4 (use the Valvoline tech data sheets for All Fleet Plus, which is the MSDS that comes up on the NAPA site for the NAPA basic oil in the blue bottle). I bet one quart 10w to 4 qts the 5w30 gets you a thick 5w20.

Gee, I have had it wrong all this time. I always thought you bought engine oil to go in an engine, but no, you buy oil and find an engine to put it in. Right $5,000 engine and $2.00 oil, which rules? The $2.00 Oil.

lol.gif
Good one. As with many Ford engines just a few years ago, they spec'd 5W-30 for this engine, so we are not talking about a drastic change, or something from left field. With "thick" 20's and "thin" 30's the line sometimes gets a tad blurred.

Thanks for your input. It was very helpful.
wink.gif

I'd run the havoline and call it good
cheers.gif
Mobil 1 0w-20 has shown a tendancy to thicken slightly. Havoline synthetic 5w-30 will likley thin. You probably will end up at the same viscosity regardless! Plus, the Havoline has ridiculously good cold temperature properties.

Personally, I would just run the hav synthetic by itself. I think that is the best way to go. That said, if you want a "20 weight mix" Here is what I think would be a good one. Do a 50/50 mix of havoline 5w20 and havoline synthetic 5w30. This will result in the following parameters:

vis at 40C = 51.4
vis at 100c = 9.2
vi = 163

that would be a "stiffer" version of the already very nice havoline 5w20.
wink.gif

Happy mixing

cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back