Havoline Synthetic Technology

I bought couple boxes (6 qt) of Havoline PRO-DS Full Synthetic 5W-30 dexos gen 2.
I like Chevron oil. Used to buy Supreme at Costco.

Came home and did a little research and saw Havoline also has Conventional, Synthetic blend and Synthetic Technology.

What is Synthetic "Technology"? Is that a new terminology? :alien:

different areas carry only certain brands + as wally's is generally my go to i never seen it around here + our local chevron gas is gone as well. theres always mail order, what i use for specialty oils like the Redline i use. anything that sells slow is generally not in store + only wallys + amazon are competitive price wise usually. i dont buy on price only but its a big factor if quality is similar + its what I want!!

Picture every synthetic oil bottle being an average looking girl, then one of those average looking girls has their top blouse button open. It made you look didn't it.

I may look but I don't get confused unless it's a robot paired with new "Technology".

This may help:

Or I'm going to guess it incorporates Chevron's high VI Group II basestock they call ISOSYN:

Last edited:
@kschachn
Thanks for the info!

The boxes I bought are "Full Synthetic" but noticed at home that Havoline also has "Synthetic Technology" ... was just curious what the technology is.

I picked up three 6 quart boxes of Havoline high mileage synthetic technology 5w30 a month or two back during the Supertech scare :LOL: It was like $15/box at the time through Wally. I also have 4 boxes of PRO-DS 5w30 and 2 of PRO-DS 10w30 on hand. All mail ordered when I found deals through eBay, Wally, etc. During the 'scare'. I maintain 4 daily drivers at a minimum, so I go through a bit of oil.

I'm thrilled to see the price of Supertech drop back down. That is something you don't see often.

Marketing. It's either blah blah blah "Technology" or "Nano Polymer" :poop:. Change your oil often and use a good filter. Onward and upward.

Marketing. It's either blah blah blah "Technology" or "Nano Polymer" :poop:. Change your oil often and use a good filter. Onward and upward.
I suppose, but I'm sort of interested in the higher VI Group II base stocks Chevron has been using in their products. It shows how technology progresses.

Isosyn has been around for decades. It was on Chevron Delo when Mobil 1300 Delvac was still primarily Group I. I think it's just Chevron's patented Hydroprocessing Technology.

Synthetic Technology is likely marketing drivel for hydrocracked at higher temps and pressure. I've noticed that on their blend.

I'm somewhat skeptical that conventional still exist in a 5W-30. It's possible that Chevron Delo 15W40 might be all GII+. I think Mobil Delvac 1300 is now a GII/GIII Blend.

Last edited:
Isosyn has been around for decades. It was on Chevron Delo when Mobil 1300 Delvac was still primarily Group I. I think it's just Chevron's patented Hydroprocessing Technology.
Yes it has. I think this is the first time I've seen it used in a passenger car oil though.

I suppose, but I'm sort of interested in the higher VI Group II base stocks Chevron has been using in their products. It shows how technology progresses.
It's fun to research and learn new things, but according to three of your vehicles, they've been driven 1,066,000 miles. If you haven't used higher VI Group II base stock for the entirety of ownership, that should tell you something.

It's fun to research and learn new things, but according to three of your vehicles, they've been driven 1,066,000 miles. If you haven't used higher VI Group II base stock for the entirety of ownership, that should tell you something.

As long as bearings and rings still wear, gains can be made.

I got Delo 400 10w30 synblend gallon jug for 3 dollars on clearance at AZ 2 weeks ago

MY Infiniti Q40 seems to like it so far

Reactions: SR5

Chevron just released the Havoline Pro RS which is plant based. They are marketing this oil as their premium product, even above the Pro DS.

So not only is it a greener alternative but according to them it is superior in every way. Time will tell of course.

Chevron just released the Havoline Pro RS which is plant based. They are marketing this oil as their premium product, even above the Pro DS.

So not only is it a greener alternative but according to them it is superior in every way. Time will tell of course.

Sounds great I hope they aren't to offended I'm going to see how effective it is after some cars using it start dropping out of service or turning in proven extended engine life!

Back