Havoline smart change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Nitronoise
We have been running 5w30full synthetic Havoline in my wife's Freestyle for 2 oci's ,,,quiet as a church mouse with good labs back from Blackstone,,,
Use with confidence

Yes I've gotten a good Lab back on my Pro DS I ran this last summer and it looked pretty good.

Originally Posted by Villalobos
I have almost always used OEM oil and filter for my rides. 2000 suburban 240,000 miles and do 3,000 OCI using ACDelco 5w30 and ACDelco filter. 2014 Lincoln MKX, just turned 100,000 using Motorcraft 5w20 synthetic blend and Motorcraft filter 5,000 OCI. Both types of oil are getting scarce in my local retailers and seem high priced online. Both cars take 6 quarts so the Havoline smart change seem to fit the bill for me. Would like input on what you folks think, both types of oil I need are available for pickup at Walmart. Full synthetic is $19.97 and blend is $15.47. The OEM filters are readily available usually around $4-5 and have plenty of those. But should I use the blend or go full synthetic? Thanks for any input!!

I order filters online from rockauto.com , 6 to 12 at a time . Especially when they go on clearance or sale .

Try to catch Dexos 5W-30 on sale . Have always used full synthetic in the Sonic , dino in the Lacresse .

Nice to see 6-quart containers coming into play. I refuse to buy single quarts due to pricing, so I've just kept an extra 5-quart around, using 1 qt of it at a time. Glad to see someone's making it easier.

I have always used conventional 5w30 in my suburban, it's got me to 240,000 with no problems. My question is for my suburban I have 3 choices, conventional, synthetic blend or full synthetic in the smart change. For the Lincoln I've always used the blend, so should I stick with blend or go full synthetic. Also I love the fact that Havoline uses 70% less plastic, great for the environment, and I can feel a lot less guilt as I dump my oil in the back 40
lol.gif
(kidding)

The AcDelco 5w30 you've been using is a blend to some degree but it it's hard to get switch to the box, I would keep using the AcDelco filters.

Last edited:
I'm not looking to change my filters, those are still easy to get locally for around $5. Motorcraft used to be available in my local Walmart for $20 for 5 quarts. Now it's gone, or $30 at local auto parts stores. ACDelco regular 5w30 also gone locally. I don't want to switch as both have served my vehicles well. For simplicity, I have to find new oils. I think Havoline smart change makes more sense as they meet both necessary specs, 6 quarts is perfect for both vehicles and available locally. As a bonus the price is definitely right at $15.47-$19.97. I will absolutely be changing to the smart change, just trying to make up my mind for the type I want, regular,blend, or full synthetic. Just changed all my vehicles recently, so have a few thousand miles to decide
smile.gif

Go for the full synthetic. $4.50 more for 6 qts that works out to 75 cents more per qt for a more refined product. Much better for cold weather starts and extreme temps. Worth a few extra bucks in my opinion.

I'm not looking to change my filters, those are still easy to get locally for around $5. Motorcraft used to be available in my local Walmart for $20 for 5 quarts. Now it's gone, or $30 at local auto parts stores. ACDelco regular 5w30 also gone locally. I don't want to switch as both have served my vehicles well. For simplicity, I have to find new oils. I think Havoline smart change makes more sense as they meet both necessary specs, 6 quarts is perfect for both vehicles and available locally. As a bonus the price is definitely right at $15.47-$19.97. I will absolutely be changing to the smart change, just trying to make up my mind for the type I want, regular,blend, or full synthetic. Just changed all my vehicles recently, so have a few thousand miles to decide
smile.gif

For the 5k mile oci you run, it won't make a difference. But if it helps you sleep at night buy the full syn Havoline, unless of course the added cost is taking food off the dinner table.. which case I'd say buy the blend.

Originally Posted by sohccammer427
Go for the full synthetic. $4.50 more for 6 qts that works out to 75 cents more per qt for a more refined product. Much better for cold weather starts and extreme temps. Worth a few extra bucks in my opinion.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
[/quote]
For the 5k mile oci you run, it won't make a difference. But if it helps you sleep at night buy the full syn Havoline, unless of course the added cost is taking food off the dinner table.. which case I'd say buy the blend.

Good advice

Another question I've been thinking about, if I wanted to use the same oil in both vehicles, would you go with the 30 or 20. Suburban takes 5w30, Lincoln 5w20. BTW I have decided to go with the himi blend in the smart change box, keeping it mostly the same as I've been doing.

Another question I've been thinking about, if I wanted to use the same oil in both vehicles, would you go with the 30 or 20. Suburban takes 5w30, Lincoln 5w20. BTW I have decided to go with the himi blend in the smart change box, keeping it mostly the same as I've been doing.

Agree with the 5w-30 in both, the 3.7 in the Lincoln I believe was originally specified for 30 anyway.

You've been running conventional oil for 240,000 miles for 20 years and want to change to synthetic now?? I HIGHLY recommend that you dont do that.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
You've been running conventional oil for 240,000 miles for 20 years and want to change to synthetic now?? I HIGHLY recommend that you dont do that.

Oh for pete's sake! Stop it.

Change to a synthetic. Watch your engine shrug and say "oh, thanks, I guess."

It's not going to blow up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr
for both use 5w30

In the ProDS full syn too. 19.97 for six (6!) quarts.

Even Mobil 1, pennzoil, or Castrol on rollback will be $30+ (5quart + 1 quart).

Originally Posted by BLND1

If it were mine I would not switch with that many miles.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by BLND1

If it were mine I would not switch with that many miles.

He's used a quality conventional oil at 3,000 mile OCI's for the life of the vehicle. There is NOTHING that switching to a synthetic is going to do to that engine. If he WANTS to use a synthetic, why not? He certainly doesn't NEED to... but that goes for 95% of the other oil decisions here on BITOG. For our purposes almost every decision comes down to how the product makes us feel. Nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back