Havoline Pro-RS Hits the Shelves (Walmart)

Unless you pump it yourself out of a drum.. but that is going to be a lot of drums.. 🤷🏻‍♂️ but I honestly think the 20K oil at Walmart for $27 which is almost the same as the 10K oil is a waste.. when Mobil 1 is cheaper Valvoline is cheaper Castrol is cheaper.

i dont get sold on all the green hype. they are both fine products however corporations will spend millions on advertisement to try and warp the consumers mind using fancy lingo terminology product branding packaging etc. i bet chevron gets massive tax breaks and incentive on printing up boxes with green consumer awareness lingo. 20,000 mile oil is also going green. less frequent oil changes.

i dont get sold on all the green hype. they are both fine products however corporations will spend millions on advertisement to try and warp the consumers mind using fancy lingo terminology product branding packaging etc. i bet chevron gets massive tax breaks and incentive on printing up boxes with green consumer awareness lingo. 20,000 mile oil is also going green. less frequent oil changes.
It also avoids the manufacturer's warranty, if you don't read the fine print 😲 I'm curious how many times that's happened 🤔 I don't even go 10,000 miles in between oil changes.. a $6 Motorcraft filter will hold up fine for me.

Not really what I started the post for. Most people are well aware of the current offerings in the 6qt boxes. Many of us were waiting for the actual availability of the Pro-RS version, and now that its here, it is a bit of a letdown being quite expensive and not looking to carry much advantage other than being made of 'plant stuff' . I'm all for renewable and bio based solutions, but I'm not willing to pay an extra 70% for it.
Some of us that are a little more brand loyal, may not have a problem with paying extra to give it a try; just may not go with that flavor every oil change.

It also avoids the manufacturer's warranty, if you don't read the fine print 😲 I'm curious how many times that's happened 🤔 I don't even go 10,000 miles in between oil changes.. a $6 Motorcraft filter will hold up fine for me.
Shame with fuel dilution when it comes to direct injected vehicles. Leaving that aside, Do you think dealer shop would run some kind of viscosity/lubricity test on the oil? Can they tell if your vehicle is suitable for 10k changes, providing you have receipts for oil and filter and document your receipts with mileage that you drove 10,001 miles vs 10,000 miles? Doesn't necessarily mean folks buying 20k oil they're running the full 20k maybe they feel a sense of assurance the oil is more robust for the duration they intend to use the product again possible marketing propaganda.

Last edited:
Unless you live in the rust belt there really isn't much reason every maintained car on the road shouldn't reach at least 500,000 miles. What did DI buy us? Very little actually in fact going back to Port injection would solve a lot of this issue. All you see in car manufacturing is not progress!

Reactions: wlk
Unless you live in the rust belt there really isn't much reason every maintained car on the road shouldn't reach at least 500,000 miles. What did DI buy us? Very little actually in fact going back to Port injection would solve a lot of this issue. All you see in car manufacturing is not progress!
I had a 99 Dodge Ram 187,000 MI burnt 2 valves.. maintained very well, I used conventional oil. All highway miles..

Walmart stores with TLEs typically had two 400 gallon tanks for bulk storage. Some of these were being replaced with smaller tanks to reduce the amount of inventory carried. This became an issue after they began offering the low priced oil changes based on the QS six gallon boxes.

A huge barrier against selling bulk oil dispensed into a customer's container is liability incurred. The probability of spills or contamination are high. The possibility of being on the hook for environmental cleanup because a customer's container leaks, or engine repair because a dirty container contaminates the oil makes the whole idea a non starter.

Lot of the vehicles today hold six quarts, it would be nice if they come out with either 6 quart boxes, or 6 quart jugs.. it's not like the manufacturers are reading this.

Lot of the vehicles today hold six quarts, it would be nice if they come out with either 6 quart boxes, or 6 quart jugs.. it's not like the manufacturers are reading this.
Walmart is the reason there are five quart jugs today. For decades the standard was quart and gallon containers. Walmart demanded a five quart, probably based on the fact that in the 1970s American cars mostly used five quarts. I once heard a vice president of the old Pennzoil Products Co. say no way in heck Pennzoil would ever make a five quart container. Well, you see what happened there!

All conventional oil up to group III is plant based, so it's all green, in my book. ;)

Walmart is the reason there are five quart jugs today. For decades the standard was quart and gallon containers. Walmart demanded a five quart, probably based on the fact that in the 1970s American cars mostly used five quarts. I once heard a vice president of the old Pennzoil Products Co. say no way in heck Pennzoil would ever make a five quart container. Well, you see what happened there!
My 2018 and 2021 Jeeps take 5 quarts. I love the jugs. For the 6 quart crowd, there is Havoline Pro-DS in the 6 quart box. $20 for a box of full syn is a great deal!

Don’t forget the fixed costs for owning a bulk setup.

After the current price increases, they are probably in the $11/gal range?
So, last year bulk synthetic ExxonMobil TGMO was $2.48 per quart or $12.40 per five quarters. This is less than half of what Walmart charges for ExxonMobil synthetics, which is incredibly cheap. TGMO used to use POE—I don't know if that's still the case—therefore, it is somewhat more expensive to make than the ILSAC Mobil 1 grades, which use AN instead.

Back